Play Gamecube Games On Wii Via USB Loader

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by imanono, Jul 23, 2011.

Jul 23, 2011
  1. imanono
    OP

Newcomer imanono Newbie

United States
    I was just wondering if it was possible to load gamecube iso games via a USB loader. I will probably ask waninkoko on twitter because I heard he might be able to develop software able to do something like this if it isn't possible. Thanks!

2. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
  3. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Yes, but only a handful of games work and even those have major problems such as no saving and major sound issues. Basically, any game that uses ARAM will either not work at all or be very glitchy. The problem is that USB support on the Wii uses a specific area of memory (called MEM2) but that is also what is used for supporting the Gamecube's ARAM area. Unfortunately, Creidar was never able to solve the problem and abandoned the project but if you can locate the DIOS-MIOS source and compile it (you must be using SNEEK+DI already) you can use it.

An easier way to get something similar is to get a SD Gecko (Gamecube memory card to SD adapter) as well as a cheap 8 or 16GB SDHC card and use Swiss. Swiss can boot isos (including multi-game isos and shrunken isos) from the SD Gecko adapter. As Swiss is actually a Gamecube mode ISO loader (i.e. you can use it on a Gamecube if you have an Action Replay or other method of running Gamecube homebrew) it doesn't have that problem. To run it on the Wii you will need a Custom mIOS (Wiigator's I think) and the Swiss Booter. Put the Swiss Booter on your SD Gecko in /apps as usual and put swiss.dol on the root of the SD card in the Gecko and then use the HBC to launch Swiss Booter). Also, some games need prepatching and a few might need a manual patch applied (Wind Waker requires a manual patch to be applied with a hex editor otherwise the game will freeze when you open a dungeon map).

4. Etheboss

Member Etheboss Official LULWUT supporter

Netherlands
    In other words, not really at this moment.

But it could be done by a very good coder, this is already proven.

5. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    I miss the days when you could just say "No" to this question.

6. Etheboss

Member Etheboss Official LULWUT supporter

Netherlands
    LOL, i agree with you on this one JoostinOnline...

7. crwys

Member crwys GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Long answer yes.
    Short answer No.

8. Tonitonichopchop

Member Tonitonichopchop GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    So do I. It's not really like the answer is totally yes, which is kinda what makes it annoying.

9. crwys

Member crwys GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    USB GC loading no.
    SD GC loading yea. (not yet but soon and looks promising)

Which suits me just fine because I'm tired of burning Gamecube games when they get scratched and its nice to carry my netbook around (no dvd drive) instead of my bulky laptop.

10. serenade.63

Member serenade.63 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It is possible with a modchip called "WODE" or wii optical drive emulator. It's usb loader is a bit more sophisticated. Wodeflow is able to play both gamecube and wii games from usb.