Play backup PS1/2 copies on BC ps3, how?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by codezer0, Jun 22, 2011.

Jun 22, 2011
  1. codezer0
    OP

Member codezer0 Gaming keeps me sane

United States
    I understand that Swap Magic can be used on a BC ps3 to play burned PS2 games, but can this practice also work for copied PS1 games too?

Been itching for a while to finally retire my aging, modchipped PS2, given that the games simply look much better on the same TV (even when using the same video cables). Currently running CFW if that helps any (though probably wouldn't matter at this point either). I understand also that through SwapMagic, I could even employ HDLoaderlike functionality... so if it is indeed the one thing I need so I can enjoy my backups again, it'll give me a reason to look into a separate external hard drive for it. [​IMG]

And if Swap Magic is indeed "all I need", where would be a good, reputable* place that I could buy from? Much obliged and grateful for any assistance. [​IMG]

* By reputable, I mean a place that will ship to the US (and may even be based in the states), that is listed with a positive history on ResellerRatings.com

2. DJPlace

Member DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

United States
    i think there is a way to play ps1 games that are burned but what system do you have if it's the fat model's you may be able to... i found a youtube video of it. let me know if you want to see sadly i can't do it on mine cause it's slim.

3. codezer0
    OP

United States
    The system I'm using now is a CECHA 60gig model [​IMG]

Also have a CECHB 20gig model on stand-by, the one I rescued from YLOD. [​IMG]

4. DJPlace

Member DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

United States
    ok here's the video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yE5iLwgruw[/youtube]

5. codezer0
    OP

United States
    Eech... and considering that my BD drive still works perfectly fine, as he suggested I'd probably rather not go that far. Not to mention just the sheer amount of heat and dust to contend with with that method. [​IMG]

6. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    There is a new Dongle (named Cobra USB) which allows the launch of Original PS2 and ISO of PS1/PS2/PS3 (iso format, not PS3 jailbreak dump)/DVD/BLURAY.
    Playing PS2 game with Cobra USB is compatible with BC PS3 and with non BC PS3 (using the official PS2 software emulator included in every PS3. It's slow but said to work).

Unfortunately, it's still only for OFW 3.41 (the team said they will make one for 3.55).
    It could become compatible with the future cfw from Jaicrab, as he released the Cobra Dongle keys (but we have no more informations on his cfw).

edit:
    too bad, it seems the cobra is not compatible with .sub files (subchannel dump).
    Protected games will need to be patched (like FF8, Valkyrie profile, etc.)
    and out of region games are said not working properly.

7. Bitbyte

Member Bitbyte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    I just read about the Cobra USB supporting PSX isos from the HDD and now even PS2! Was pretty shocked not to find any news of this on Gbatemp at all, loading PSX isos from the HDD
    is something I always wanted to do and my only console that can't do it yet [​IMG]. Subchannel data shouldn't matter so much, not a single USA game has Libcrypt protection on it and
    in the case of the European protected games, you can just convert the Redump image + .sbi to bin/cue with sbi2sub.exe. This is wonderful news! Haven't found too much information on the PSX/PS2 compatibility or performance though.

8. codezer0
    OP

United States
    This would be great... if I could have afforded an external hard disk to archive all those PS1 game ISOs back then. But unfortunately, all of those are basically already on disc.

9. codezer0
    OP

United States
    So can anyone tell me if the SwapMagic CD-ROM will actually allow me to boot up the copied PS2 games?

10. k4sHmuNn1

Newcomer k4sHmuNn1 Member

United States
    your best bet would be to use QA flag to downgrade to 3.41. Then use the Cobra dongle to play ps2/ps1 isos from the HDD

11. codezer0
    OP

United States
    That doesn't solve my problem... since I currently have them all on disc anyway, and don't have a hard disk to spare to re-rip them. [​IMG]

12. codezer0
    OP

United States
    So, any case... PS2 backups on disc can play with Swap Magic, correct?

And no solution for PS1 backups? [​IMG]