Play and Export your favorite NDS music very easy!

Discussion in 'NDS - Tutorials' started by cimo95, Nov 17, 2019.

1. cimo95
    OP

cimo95 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2019
    Antarctica
    Room of Nowhere
    Hello, here i just want to share a simple tutorial about how to Play and even Dump your favotite BGM (Background Music) or Sound effect from any NDS ROM

EDIT : ONLY WORKS FOR ROM WHICH USING .SDAT AS MUSIC PACKAGE FORMAT

{Requirement}
    1. Windows PC with audio support
    2. NitroExplorer3 [download : https://hackromtools.altervista.org/nitroexplorer-3/] (or any NDS ROM explorer you have)
    3. VG Music Studio [download : https://github.com/Kermalis/VGMusicStudio/releases/tag/v0.2] (download the latest version, still warm, just 5 months ago)
    4. A NDS ROM file

{Tutorial}
    1. Load your NDS file on your NDS ROM explorer (here i'm using NitroExplorer3)
      [​IMG]
    2. You can expand all folders (depend on your NDS ROM explorer and ROM), and find file with ".sdat" extension
      Note : if ".sdat: not found, it can't be helped, your NDS ROM is not supported :(
    3. Export it anywhere you want
    4. Open VG Music Studio
      Warning ! : VG Music Studio utilize 25% upto 50% of cpu usage. If the sound lagged while playing, please change the "priority" of this program, into "Above Normal" or "Realtime" in Task Manager
    5. You will be faced a screen like this.
      [​IMG]
    6. Open this spoiler to read some explanation of each object :
      Warning: Spoilers inside!
    7. Choose "File" menu, then choose "Open SDAT File"
    8. Locate where the exported ".sdat" file
      [​IMG]
    9. Wait, the program is loading your ".sdat" file. After loaded, you can choose what music you want to listen on the right top list
      [​IMG]
    10. To export it, choose "Data" menu, then choose "Export song as WAV" (this is the recommended option !)
    11. Decide where the exported file should be placed, don't forget to add ".wav" when saving, for example : "filename.wav"
      [​IMG]
    12. Wait until a message box notify that exporting progress is finished
      [​IMG]
    13. Finished! Enjoy your music !

Last edited by cimo95, Nov 21, 2019
  2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I should note in this that there are quite a few games, including some notable ones, that either don't use SDAT, use non standard SDAT, or use additional formats on top of SDAT. https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-various-audio-formats-of-the-ds.305167/ for a primer on a few of those.

Also I can't say I have messed with VG Music Studio. Does it handle banks* better than VGMtrans, VGMtoolbox or some of the other more recent tools?

*the SSEQ files that form most audio efforts on the DS are just lists of instruments and timings. The instrument samples themselves are the responsibility of the SBNK aspect of the SDAT system. This is why older tools might not sound quite the same and other things tend to spend quite a bit of effort extracting and possibly converting said list.

E1ite007, alexander1970 and cimo95 like this.
  3. cimo95
    OP

cimo95 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2019
    Antarctica
    Room of Nowhere
    im verry sorry, i just share what i thought,
    yes you are right, i think just because SDAT has their own tables thats why when it exported to MIDI sometime sound "weird"
    should i delete this post?
    i feels like post useless tutorial to get 10 xp
    im really sorry :bow::bow::bow::(:(

alexander1970 likes this.
  4. Ammako

Ammako I like cake.

Dec 22, 2009
    Antarctica
    I wouldn't recommend this. Never set the priority of a CPU-intensive program to Realtime. Even mouse input, keyboard input and disk cache don't run at Realtime priority, so if you set a program to run at Realtime priority and it reaches 100% CPU usage, you can easily get stuck. Use High priority at the most, if you have to.

Otherwise, I don't think there's anything wrong with your guide really, it seems a lot more in-depth than you're giving yourself credit for.

E1ite007, cimo95 and alexander1970 like this.
  5. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Never seen this before. I remember using a app called VGMTOOLBOX to extract audio files from NDS roms. But I got lucky messing around to get the sonic rush music. But least there is sites that have them already ripped and even named and playlisted. :)

E1ite007, alexander1970 and cimo95 like this.
  6. cimo95
    OP

cimo95 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 30, 2019
    Antarctica
    Room of Nowhere
    yes, yes, im using "above normal" instead just to make sure it still prioritized if another new process is made :blush:

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

im using VGMTOOLBOX too before, to play Pokemon NDS sound, without extractinf its SDAT first, just drag the rom over the program. Ths VGM Studio sound new because i look for 2 times none talksnabout this program. Oh yes, if you're know program called Sappy which play song from GBA rom, the interface is look like this, but Sappy is manual, you must map each track first before able to play it :unsure:

7. Hambrew

Hambrew GBAtemp Regular

Oct 9, 2018
    United States
    Now that is pretty epic, ngl.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted