Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
That’s a really blasé response of “idk burn it or bag it w/e” given that it could be a potential invasive species sent with hostile intentions.

Not that I claim to know anything about plants, but it sure is weird or suspicious that people are getting these seeds randomly.

spotanjo3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny is that she said I don't know burn it and it was difficult or bag it. LOL!

What seeds ? What are they talk about ? Fake seeds ? Or something ?

TimPV3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People randomly received seeds from China. I'll let Customs and Border Patrol explain why it's bad:

"Plant pests and disease, as well as invasive plant material can cause crop loss and also damage lawns, ornamental plants, and trees. Plant pest infestations can result in increased costs to consumers due to pest eradication efforts as well as lower crop yields. High risk plant pest and animal disease outbreaks within the U.S. could also adversely affect the economy as a result of reduced trade of U.S. origin goods to countries around the world."

I think it's a little too out in the open for it to be China trying to sabotage us, but I knew someone would end up planting them

Reactions: spotanjo3

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I personally think it's hilarious. So there is a Chinese company sending out seeds. Is it...

A) a simple marketing stunt
B) an elaborate scheme to foil us agriculture by distributing seeds in the hope that people will plant them in such a massive degree that it has an impact to begin with

Occam's razor suggests that if China really wanted to plant some kind of malicious seeds, they'd just send some guys with a few bags of seeds on field trips throughout the USA. Plenty of spots to plant something, easier, more reliable, cheaper and draws far less attention than this stuff.
In other words : the correct answer is A.

@people saying B: wearing a tinfoil hat yet?

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
US agencies have looked into it and have proposed that it is an 'upranking scheme' for online seller accounts. Packages were labled to contain 'jewelry'.

How it works:

Marketplaces (think amazon) use what are called 'veryfied reviews' to rank and position sellers in different categories.

For a verified review to be written, there has to be a confirmed order, and a package that did go out and was received by the buyer. (Marketplaces track that).

So now you send out a cheapo good from a fake account (email you own), to a valid address, label it as the thing your store tries to flog, when you are not sending out seeds, and make sure to not just stuff it with papershreds, because the customer would maybe try to investigate what that is.

Issue - turns out, people also call the police, when they start to receive seeds in the mail. In Northamerica. ;) Next time use cheapo erotic underwear, problem solved.. ;)

Should already be part of some of those newsstories.. ;)

edit: Cheapo erotic underwear and a stone. Marketplaces also check weight (through the postal system). :)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Subtle Demise
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
The U.S. Department of Agriculture is investigating another suspicion.
The postal items could be a scam.
People receive the parcels without having ordered them.
The names and dates are then used for avatars who leave fake positive reviews on online trading platforms to drive sales up.

Reactions: Subtle Demise
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Gift
  • Ophelia_Later @ Ophelia_Later:
    TheZander
    @ TheZander: were you even joking about the ds? also a stolen ds is a huge tragedy. I'm beginningto wonder where your priorities lie
    Gift
    not a joke it was stolen and yes streetpass was turned on but i don't have a mac id or any clue of who did it. is there any hope of getting it back ive invested over $1,000 in it
    Gift
  • Gift
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    This mac n cheese is bad
    +1
    Gift
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    how tf do you invest over a grand in a DS?

Signed, someone who has invested over $700 in a mechanical keyboard
    +1
    Gift
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    ive broken 4 digits
    Gift
    (ok, not me technically, since i myself didnt spend the money,my parents did, but still)
    Gift
    also on a related note, i should start treating my keyboard better, my friend saw my keyboard while visiting my house and he said "holy shit why is it this dirty do you like shove it up your ass right after you clean it or something"
    Gift
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    Lol you'd imagine anyone that can put 1k towards a ds would have fuck it money and just buy it again
    Gift
    (and for those of you wondering, no i dont shove it up my ass i just eat while gaming)
    Gift
    I swear some of these new users are duplicate accounts just to troll the shitbox lol
    Gift
    i mean, let's not pretend we contribute great stuff here normally
    Gift
    So you admit to having duplicate accounts? Sickly you know the offense for that :0
    +1
    Gift
    although it does have it's moments, where else would i have to specify i dont shove keyboards up my ass
    Gift
    Fun fact I didn't really realize the big pack in little Debbie's meant big snacks I thought they were double layred so I got home and was amazed and felt sick after finishing a big Christmas tree
    +1
    Gift
    oh shit it's almost christmas, i need to make a christmas pfp like last year
    Gift
    Why yes it usually happens every December unless you're Jewish
    Gift
    im muslim, what does that mean for me
    Gift
    You get screwed
    Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think you get 72 virgins or something lol
    Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Sounds like a sexual nightmare to me but ymmv lol
    Gift
    That's life after death psi at least give him something to look forward to after 18
    Gift
    KennieDaMeanie
    @ KennieDaMeanie: Lol you'd imagine anyone that can put 1k towards a ds would have fuck it money and just buy it again
    Gift
    it was small investments over the course of a year and a half
    Gift
    Ophelia_Later @ Ophelia_Later: it was small investments over the course of a year and a half