Planning to send Wii to Nintendo - Think again

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by wiiman123, Apr 24, 2010.

Apr 24, 2010
  1. wiiman123
    OP

Member wiiman123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    Full article http://hackmii.com/2010/04/check-disk-for-...cess/

Seems like its not a smart idea to send your Wii to Nintendo for repair anymore. You will be left with a $200 bill.
    Considering there are other profesional services that can fix your Wii. Why risk it with Nintendo?

2. Mikehoncho16

Member Mikehoncho16 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is where you do yourself a favor, brick your Wii. Then call Nintendo Customer Service, sound distraught, and then tell them that your Wii won't display anything when you turn it on (basically, tell them that only the sound works.) Then make sure that you mention that you're positive it was caused because of a system update and that you have absolutely no clue what happened. And here's where teh lolz come in, THEY'LL REPLACE IT WITH A NEW WII FOR COMPLETELY FREE!!! hahahaha, got to love awesome personal experiences.

3. r3dfaction

Member r3dfaction GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Good Job Nintendo [​IMG]

4. wiiman123
    OP

Member wiiman123 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    Well that doesn't guarantee you anything, especially if they possibly changed their policies for checking Wiis or created some new security disc to check your Wii.

5. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Well, if they can't stop Homebrew and Piracy via Updates and onine, they try it locally when they have your console (or at least get money from you). It surprises me that Nintendo slowly starts to play more advanced...their previous attempts were all ridiculous, but now they seem to use their power and knowledge about their own console (finally) [​IMG].

6. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    this is why its important to know what you install on your wii so even if you want to get a legit repair for somethig like a noisy drive you know what you must uninstall. but still he wanted a new DVD drive, not a whole new system.

7. CJL18

Member CJL18 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    they made the system do you honestly think deleting your homebrew software will maek a difference they know what your doing to the console

8. Thomas83Lin

Member Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

United States
    Interesting read. Still wondering what they have to check a fully bricked Wii. If they even can, cause a check disc likely wouldn't work. But this still should save Big N alittle money.

9. The Frenchman

Member The Frenchman GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    If you fear to brick it with homebrews, just try updating, then unplug it, retry until it doesn't boot properly. They will send one before they check the wii. If they check it... because if you accept to share your credit card infos with them they send uour new Wii upfront.

I doubt they check bricked Wiis, but if you call for a noisy drive, that'll get them curious. Bricked wii because of an update? they'll just thrwo it into the *ro be reflashed* bin.

10. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    How did the disk work if he removed boot2?

11. Det1re

Member Det1re det1re.de

Germany
    I don't see where it was written, that he removed boot2 — he removed BootMii/boot2, but not boot2 itself.
    Regarding the comments on hackmii.com it seems, that basically IOS0 seems to be a problem. Now how to get rid of this bogus TIK...?

12. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    the IOS0 is not the only issue. among the things left on a wii from installing titles is the entry in the UID. there is one for just about everything ever run on the wii with any sort of permission. it is like the timeline of shit youve done with the wii. the UID even has the entries for the setup discs used in the factory to set your system up for the first time. it has the first game you ever played (probably wii sports).there will be one for HBC, IOSes, every channel you ever installed, etc. even if you dont have any titles in the UID that are obviously homebrew, just the presence of one that does not show up on your shop account shows that you have tried to play a game which you do not own.

my best guess would be that the only way to fly under the radar is if you get a nand dump with no homebrew except bootmii installed, then restore that before sending in your wii. get the dump before you even install HBC. using bootmiiIOS should be okay since there is an official IOS that uses the same slot. if that doesnt hide what youve done, then i'd have to say hats off to you nintendo.

13. tj_cool

Supervisor tj_cool Stuff

Belgium
    Did he reformat it before sending it in? (I know that that doesn't affect the IOS0 issue, but still)

14. linuxares

Member linuxares GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    hmm... twisted idea, since you know wii hacking alot more than I do. But can you in theory make a "UID" generator then? That random some games like SSBB, Wii Sports etc.?

15. Majroa

Member Majroa GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    Maybe a dumb idea, but if you restore your wii with a NAND-dump from a clean SNEEK, there won't be any traces right?

16. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    that was my next question, can you just make a clean dump using IOS and system menu wads? either way im almost out of warranty and i do not plan on bricking my wii.

17. icebrg5

Member icebrg5 GBAtemp Addict

United States
    You mean trying to make your wii a virgin again?

yeah you can restore all the files back to original states but the wii history message log will still show everything you have done to the wii regarding homebrew.As far as i know there is no way to erase the logs.Formatting the wii system memory might get rid of it but I'm not sure if it will or not.

18. Zetta_x

Member Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

United States
    I can see it now:

"Hey nintendo, I have a noisy wii drive, I will send it right to you"

Three days later nintendo gets the wii and opens it up to find:

[​IMG]

19. Majroa

Member Majroa GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    What the fuck happened O_O

20. soulx