Planning to launch a 20-slot Terraria server.

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by exangel, Dec 27, 2011.

?

Are you interested in playing on a professionally hosted Terraria server?

1. Yes

63.3%
  2. No

13.3%
  3. Maybe if I get Terraria, in the future.

23.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2011
  1. exangel
    OP

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    Old Information
    Original post

FINAL Edit: Spoilered everything as I don't want to edit or lose the old info. Please refer to the blog for current info. Also requested the topic lock.

2. fgghjjkll

Member fgghjjkll GBATemp MegaMan

Australia
    I'm interested, but i've never applied the TShock client patch because of 1.1.1 incompatibilities...

3. Nujui

Member Nujui I need something to do.

United States
    I run a terraria server with tshock installed, so if you have questions you're free to ask.

4. exangel
    OP

United States
    Alright, I actually found the GitHub wiki for tShock (I swear it didn't rank as high on google just before I made this post, for "tshock terraria guide," as it is doing now.

After a recent accident on a private home-based server I'm going to want to prevent hard mode from being activated until an undetermined time in the future XD

tShock's 3.4x release claim compatibility with 1.1.1 now, btw
    I don't know much about it yet but it was posted Dec 21 on their main site.

5. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    Going to get to know terraria better in SP first ;o

6. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    I might be interested, but like DinohScene, I gotta play more SP first.

7. exangel
    OP

United States
    Cool, just know that I plan to delay hard mode for at least a couple weeks or longer after launch. I am new myself, and I want to give launch participants plenty of time to enjoy multiplayer mode without the increased difficulty of hard mode nasties.

This is so that people can have time to explore and learn about the game and I can actively troubleshoot unforseen problems. I've never actually played on a server that had more than 3 people at a time on it.
    I'm more a creative and explorer type and I want to do what I can to learn how to avoid having to use rollbacks or resets, primarily through the use of the mods. Losing progress or buildings really sucks, but I know there will come a point when there's not much left to do except allow the transition to hardmode.
    I'm actually pretty new to the game, I got it on the insistence of a friend about a week ago.. but I love it too much, and multiplayer too much, to not run a large map from a dedicated server.

8. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I want a mod to increase the size of large tenfold. Then again, I know that the bigger the map, the more resources are needed to run it.

1 person likes this.
  9. exangel
    OP

United States
    I have thoroughly edited the original post, to reflect more defined plans for the server, including the schedule. Thanks all so far for input.

10. raulpica

Supervisor raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Italy
    Awesome. I'm totally in :P

11. Skelletonike

Member Skelletonike ♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀

Portugal
    It's interesting, but I still don't really understand the game. ='3

12. KingBlank

Member KingBlank King of Nothing

New Zealand
    what will you do when the map is covered in buildings and the underground is a mad cav-or-nis raveeeeeen!?
    if i hosted a dedicated server i would have a pvp arena (like yours) and a co-op dungeon adventure puzzle area, with scheduled dungeon runs (building prohibited during runs then map restored after and building rights restored).
    But thats just me,

i am exited to join your server :)

13. exangel
    OP

United States
    I am only going to have the static map online during weekdays, but that is a brilliant idea for preserving the dungeon! Thanks for your input!

I will handle overbuilding and overmining when that day comes, I will enable hardmode after a while but I can think of other things I can do:

1. I will make a copy of the world file at the end of every week before setting up the PVP map, and preserve it, in addition to the automatic backups
    2. If I ever have to do a significant rollback/revert (beyond 2 days) or actually reset for a new map, I will host the world file on a public server so that all members will still be able to access their creations locally.

Nujui helped me last night to sort out building restriction permissions because setting the whole server to be unbuildable seemed to override the "canbuild" permission I gave to non-admin registered users.
    It wasn't resolved though, I am still trying to work out the user group permissions that I intended but I think I messed up somewhere along the line and kind of need my co-admin's help.
    On the blog I explain the ranks I intend to have in place, but I may also set a weekly password if griefers ever make me have to do a rollback. If the ranks are a little confusing to anyone they are a reference to NCIS :P

Be sure to join the Steam group if you really want to participate because I still occasionally need people to log on during the testing phase. XD I will announce the official launch in the group and the blog when I'm fully confident in all the settings and finer administrative details but I don't think it will take too many days to finish with that.

14. beamquaker

Member beamquaker Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    i think im going to buy this game as soon as i get paid . I need a new game to get into and u guys make it sound alot of fun

15. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Please make it.
    We have a bunch of MC servers, but not a single Terraria one :(

16. Pong20302000

Member Pong20302000 making notes on everything

Japan
    i will join

sounds like fun

17. exangel
    OP

United States
    Well, the test map is operational now, with no known issues- but people who want to play around on it will have to message me in the Steam group in order to get their registration upgraded for build privilege.
    Based on a lot of carefulIy considered advice, requiring registration is one of the best safeguards against griefing. Getting region protection working might cause me a little extra headache when I load other maps for events, so that's on the back burner now.

I really would like some people to come on it and dig, build, or mess around for a few days more. I made a really sweet hideout on top of the spawn XD
    As far as the rules are for the current map, they're pretty relaxed until I load the final map.

When I do launch the real map, I would prefer veteran players started new characters to play alongside some of the newer ones, as I will do. I'm not a hardcore purist, and I know it won't take veteran players long at all to put together some decent equipment and buildings, but this game is so easy, no outside advancement is necessary.
    I would also encourage interested parties to get the Mumble open-source VoIP client for co-operative play, as some members already use it, the info to that will be found in the Steam group as well.

18. DarkStriker

Member DarkStriker GBAtemp's Kpop lover!

Norway
    You just end up griefling like always. Alan should be banned from all games that has "multiplayer" in it,

1 person likes this.
  19. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    Pfft, thats soooo 2011.
    :tpi:

20. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Troll will be troll, and when invited, will grief. There's no changing (pseudo-mythical) animal instinct.

EDIT: One (temporary) measure to prevent bomb griefing - build your buildings out of bomb-proof material (like the blocks from dungeons). They will have to at least wait until they get a good pickaxe before they can break them down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.