Planning on getting some DS Flashing Stuff, help?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Gaisuto, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Gaisuto
    OP

Former Staff Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.

United States
    I'm sorry for making another topic to this where there are hundreds already, but there's so many varietys that I'm confused. If you are able to help me out here, you get waffles! [​IMG]

Anyway, with Jumpman helping me (He logged off so the rest lays on you), I was thinking of getting a PassKey 2, a M3, and a writer for the M3. I have no idea what's going on here, I'm just doing what Jumpy said. I got the Passkey 2 down, but what about the M3 and stuff? I'm looking at sites like Kick Trading a Shop.01Media and there are so many different cartridges and stuff, I'm completly confused.

Jumpy told me something about using SD cards too. I already have one, so that saves some money. What would I need to use those SD cards?

And to end this boring thing, I'll end it off with saying I'm planning on using this with a DS Lite. I'm getting a Passkey 2 instead of that 3 thing I heard about because it's cheaper.

2. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    If you plan on flashing your DS Lite then a passkey2 would be fine, but if you're not going to flash it go with the passcard 3 because it doesn't stick out or use an original ds game in any way.

You said you wanted to use your standard SD cards, well then the m3 slim would be the best option but be aware it WILL stick out quite a bit on the DS Lite. Personally I'd go with the G6 Lite because there's no hassle of any other sort of media (it has 512MBytes of space built in), but if you really want removable media wait for the M3 Lite, but it will almost definately use micro sd (transflash) cards.

3. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    I honestly have no idea what most of this stuff means. The main reason I'm getting the Key2 over the Card 3 is because it's cheaper. I honestly have no idea what you mean by stuff like flashing.

How bad is the sticking out? I'm trying to get DS ROMs working at as cheap as price as possible. I can only obtain so much money in my current situation. I have no intentions of using this thing for music, movies, or anything. Just games.

4. Opium

Australia
    GBAtemp Guide to Flashme...

You can also see a passkey2 in a few of those pics

for example your ds lite will have this big chunky thing sticking out the top if you don't flash your ds:

[​IMG]

You could alternatively buy a passcard3 which is exactly the same size as a normal DS game which would allow you to boot up ds roms without the need for installing flashme, it's up to you.

So simply, if you intend to flash your DS Lite a passkey2 would do fine, if you don't want to flash your DS Lite is urge you to buy a passcard3.

And here's a review of the M3 Slim also available on GBAtemp [​IMG] You'll see that it sticks out about 1cm from the original DS, so on the lite it'll stick out about 2cm.

5. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    Okay, watching that Flashing video scares me. I'll go with the passcard3...thanks for dealing with my idioticness. Which leaves me with this:

Where is the cheapest place for me to buy this stuff? That doesn't have it backordered?

Would this work? Also to make myself look even more stupid, this comes with the thing needed to actually put the games on it, right?

6. Opium

Australia
    That would work just fine. That version of the m3 only accepts mini-SD card but it does include a 1GB mini-SD card so that's fine, just be aware that normal sized SD cards will not work in this unit, only mini-SD.

The only thing other than the bundle you may need is a mini-SD reader so you can put the files on it from your computer (normally in the form of a small USB stick with a mini-sd slot in the side. You can pick one of these up at any computer store and shouldn't cost very much. Don't buy one yet though, there may be one included or an adapter to convert mini-sd to normal SD and you can use any normal SD reader you may have lying around.

7. leetdood

Member leetdood GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    It appears that you'd need some kind of media card writer/reader to write the games to a Mini-SD card.

Edit: Er, nevermind. Opium beat me to it. And he did a better job. [​IMG]

8. Gaisuto
    OP

United States
    Thanks, I'm going to get this bundle. You guys rock like that. Sorry for having you put up with my stupidity, Opium.