Gaming Plan to get a PSP, a few questons

MangoPirate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looking at some online that I can buy and will most likely be going with a PSP 2000. Now, I've heard that some have motherboards that can't be hacked completely and some people have said that getting one of the special edition PSPs will prevent that problem.

So if I got the white Star Wars one, for instance, that should be fully hackable, assuming that the firmware isn't too high?

Also, I plan on getting Birth By Sleep, which is part of the reason I'm getting this at all. If I just bought the game, assuming that there will be problems with emulating it at first like there was with the Japanese release for a long time. Is it possible that getting the game might make the PSP get a firmware update like some games do on consoles? Or is there ways around such things, like using something to boot the game and ignore that.

And one last question. How big are PSP games usually and what size memory stick should I be looking at getting?

Thanks for any help I might get here.

issy12

Trophies
XP
Country
MangoPirate said:
Looking at some online that I can buy and will most likely be going with a PSP 2000. Now, I've heard that some have motherboards that can't be hacked completely and some people have said that getting one of the special edition PSPs will prevent that problem.

So if I got the white Star Wars one, for instance, that should be fully hackable, assuming that the firmware isn't too high? As far as I'm concerned the Star Wars (Darth Vader) PSP is hackable and as long as you have a pandora battery, the firmware does not matter

Also, I plan on getting Birth By Sleep, which is part of the reason I'm getting this at all. If I just bought the game, assuming that there will be problems with emulating it at first like there was with the Japanese release for a long time. Is it possible that getting the game might make the PSP get a firmware update like some games do on consoles? Or is there ways around such things, like using something to boot the game and ignore that. If you use the UMD you will have to update but you can play the ISO as long as you are updated to the latest CFW (which is 5.50 Prometheus

And one last question. How big are PSP games usually and what size memory stick should I be looking at getting? PSP games vary from 100MB to almost 1.5GB, I would recommend you get nothing less than a 4GB

Thanks for any help I might get here.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of these things

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
white Star Wars one should be hackable

and for KH:BBS
you may need to rip the game to an IS and patch the game,with prometheus (ISO TOOLS homebrew app can help with that)

i have 5.00 m33-6
using m33_620 plugin and prometheus (and the version.txt fix), most game run fine

max umd size is 1.8gb

4gb-16gb should be good
i have an 8gb and it working fine

you can go to PSP-Hacks to get help on hacking

the version.txt fix is where you edit the version.txt in Flash0 , (you change 5.00 to 9.90 in the release line) and Enable use Version.txt in recovery

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Yes a Vader White PSP2000 is hackable irrespective of firmware. A Pandora battery doesn't care if you're on 1.50 or 6.30.

Get the game, if no patch or fix is available for your dump of that UMD then just update to play it, then go back to CFW using your Pandora battery.

No UMD's force an update...they're there but you need to run them.

MS size depends on your attention span....i'm quite happy with a 4Gig stick. One thing you should be doing is investing in a decent one though and NOT a cheap fake. Get a Sandisk Ultra II Pro Duo if possible.

FlashX007

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to get another copy for my brother but nobody is selling on GBAtemp. Anybody have a similar place where I could possibly buy or trade for one? I don't have PayPal so that makes things harder. As for memory stick I have a SanDisk Memory Stick Pro Duo 8GB. Not sure if it's great. Does not say Ultra II.

MangoPirate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay, thanks for the help guys, I'll just get the white PSP to make sure I don't run into any problems. I think I'll buy the game and order a pandora battery. The sticky says they might take a while to ship, so I imagine I can play the game just fine and once I'm done, I can mess around with CFW and stuff.

This should be fine for memory right? I don't see why it wouldn't be authentic. http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-8GB-Memory-S...5149&sr=8-1

reilina

just a neophyte...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes thats exactly what i use, but that kinda expensive though i remember i bough mine around $17 at newegg with free shipping.

MangoPirate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hmm. Sold out on Newegg. And silly Amazon won't ship that one to Canada. Going through their Canadian site, it would run me twice as much. Guess I'll look around a bit.

Thanks for confirming it's good though.

Okay, another question. Anyone have experience on using a pro duo adaptor with a Sandisk microSD? Would save me a bit, but dunno if that would be good to get over what I know will work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol