Plan: Migrating 9.7 sysnand o3ds to 9.2+ emunand (9.2 sysnand) n3ds

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Arkansaw, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Arkansaw
    OP

Arkansaw GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Here's the plan:

1. System transfer to second o3ds on 9.7 emunand (<=9.2 sysnand)
    2. On second o3ds, move necessary/important user data (like mii plaza, saves etc) from emunand to sysnand
    3. Update second o3ds sysnand to a compatible version (for firmware spoofing)
    4. System transfer second o3ds sysnand to n3ds sysnand via firmware spoofing

Did I miss out anything or possible holes? Is there any easier approach?

I really hope to get this resolved soon before nintendo hits out with 9.8 :wink:

2. Intronaut

Intronaut An star maker

Nov 18, 2014
    Cote d'Ivoire

Yes. You require the same version of system transfer app in both consoles. In that case, a transfer from aconsole with 9.0 app (9.2 console) to another with 9.6 app (9.7 console) would be incompatible.

3. Arkansaw
    OP

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago

which transfer are you referring to? it is not part of the plan I described

4. Intronaut

Intronaut An star maker

Nov 18, 2014
    Cote d'Ivoire

Sorry, I didn't read very well.

AFAIK, it will not be a problem, but anyway,for the step 3 you will need firm0.bin and firm1.bin from another console with 9.0-9.2.

5. Arkansaw
    OP

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago

why is that so? is that for the firmware update to 9.2? (which can be done with cart or 3dnus iirc) or for the firmware spoofing

6. Intronaut

Intronaut An star maker

Nov 18, 2014
    Cote d'Ivoire
    So yeah, if you have a cart. But in the case of 3DNUS, if you update your NAND with Gateway, you will get a brick, because GW doesn't update NATIVE_FIRM. For that reason, you will need these two files and inject them in the updated emunand, extract the emunand, and inject that NAND in the sysNAND.

If you can see it's a little dangerous, so if you have a cart with 9.2 update, use it.

Arkansaw likes this.
  7. yifan_lu

yifan_lu @yifanlu

Apr 28, 2007
    United States
    If you just want your tickets, #2 isn't needed. Tickets are tied to your eshop/nnid account and when you transfer to your 9.7 emunand, your nnid is now tied to that 3ds and you can just log in to the nnid on sysnand and transfer after patching.

If you want all your saves on SD card, you also need to copy your movable.sed from emunand to sysnand before transferring to n3ds.

If you want all your nand saves (like mii plaza), you also need to copy your nand:data from emunand to sysnand before transfering to n3ds.

Arkansaw likes this.
  8. Arkansaw
    OP

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago

Okay thanks, I will update step 2 to mean "move important data from emunand to sysnand" then. I guess this is the most dangerous/critical step..

9. Arkansaw
    OP

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Okay step 1 is done and should get me some extra time from nintendo

Gonna proceed very carefully with step 2....

10. Arkansaw
    OP

Jul 23, 2005
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Okay, step 2 is done. Followed the guide for moving emunand to sysnand, and I had to move the ticket.db, moveable.sed, and replace the entire data folder (since the emunand was system transferred it has a totally different identifier from the one on sysnand)

11. Elusivo

Elusivo GBAtemp Fan

Jun 21, 2013
    I have a 9.2 emunand backup that I want to flash to upgrade my 4.5 sysnand. From what I understand I only need to get some valid firm0/1, inject them into the 9.2 emunand and it won't brick sysnand when I flash it right? Can those firm0/1 be taken from a different 3ds sysnand?

Apache told me a way to update emunand with sysupdater and that would be ok to flash to sysnand, but I read some1 else saying that would also cause a brick so I'm reluctant to do it (and with sysupdater my emunand reports version 9.0 even tho I I used the 9.2 update cias), this firm0/1 method would be much easier if it can be obtained somehow.