Hacking Plailect Guide Part 4 Sec 5 One click setup fails

Kalabit_Betlog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
PLEASE READ FIRST:
I know a lot of people would tell me to follow the troubleshooting workarounds provided by the guide. I have tried it countless of times but the sysNAND_original.bin cannot be restored. It says my file was corrupt. I checked all of my NAND Backups and they are all appropriately sized. I FOLLOWED EVERY STEP OF THE GUIDE.

MY QUESTION:
Is there any way to restore my 3ds to factory settings? I'm willing to start again from the very beginning of the guide. Aside from my 3ds I also used 3 of my friends 3ds units (2ds,o3ds,n3ds) for practice and everything worked fine. My unit is a New Nintendo 3DS XL with a default version of 10.3.0-28U. Please anyone I am stuck on part 4 for 3 days now. I already tried contacting Plailect regarding this but he hasn't replied. If anyone here knows, please. Thanks

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
To answer your actual question, deleting everything from the micro SD will take you back to needing to complete step 3. It is not advisable to undo any of the other steps, especially since downgrading is one of the more dangerous things you can do.

I think it would be better to attempt to figure out why proceeding isn't working. You said you tried countless times. Did you create a new sysNAND backup each time? If not, you should make another sysNAND backup as described in Part 4 Section 3, and continue from there.

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did it fail even though it passed all verification stages? That's what happens on one of my 3ds's no matter what I try. After it clones the "unbricked" emunand to sysnand it just says failed.

Kalabit_Betlog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Did it fail even though it passed all verification stages? That's what happens on one of my 3ds's no matter what I try. After it clones the "unbricked" emunand to sysnand it just says failed.

At first it passed stage 0 then failed at stages 1 and 2. The troubleshooting guide says that I should restore from emunand_formatted.bin and sysnand_original.bin. sysNAND_original.bin failed while emuNAND_formatted.bin was a success, Plailect suggested to restore from sysNAND.bin but still it failed saying my file was corrupt. That was 3 days ago already and no else is telling me what I should do so my last resort was to restore everything to the stock settings and do everthing again from the start, if that is possible to do at this stage of the guide. Anyway, thanks for replying to my post ^_^

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

To answer your actual question, deleting everything from the micro SD will take you back to needing to complete step 3. It is not advisable to undo any of the other steps, especially since downgrading is one of the more dangerous things you can do.

I think it would be better to attempt to figure out why proceeding isn't working. You said you tried countless times. Did you create a new sysNAND backup each time? If not, you should make another sysNAND backup as described in Part 4 Section 3, and continue from there.

Thanks alot for the reply!
No I did not. Is it safe to create new NAND backups as stated on Part 4 Section 3? Also I already did the Plaisysupdater step on PArt 4 Section 5 and it was a complete success. Another thing is that even the emuNAND_formatted.bin is now failing saying that the is also corrupted.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first it passed stage 0 then failed at stages 1 and 2. The troubleshooting guide says that I should restore from emunand_formatted.bin and sysnand_original.bin. sysNAND_original.bin failed while emuNAND_formatted.bin was a success, Plailect suggested to restore from sysNAND.bin but still it failed saying my file was corrupt. That was 3 days ago already and no else is telling me what I should do so my last resort was to restore everything to the stock settings and do everthing again from the start, if that is possible to do at this stage of the guide. Anyway, thanks for replying to my post ^_^

Thanks alot for the reply!
No I did not. Is it safe to create new NAND backups as stated on Part 4 Section 3? Also I already did the Plaisysupdater step on PArt 4 Section 5 and it was a complete success. Another thing is that even the emuNAND_formatted.bin is now failing saying that the is also corrupted.

Sounds a lot like the SD card has bad sectors that are causing read errors. Did you back up all of the nand backups you made immediately after making them, and if so do you have the .sha files that were made during the backups?

If so, use those files to verify the integrity of the backups you saved on the computer. If they come back as valid, try setting up a new, different SD card and see what happens.

Ar5chK3ks

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Just asking since you didn't provide that information:
Is the Emu/RedNAND you downgrade on 11.0? If not try to update it to 11.0 and downgrade it afterwards.
Heard a lot of people having issues with the One Click Setup who said this fixed it.(Worth a try if you aren't on 11.0).

Just make sure to not update SysNAND!

Kalabit_Betlog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just asking since you didn't provide that information:
Is the Emu/RedNAND you downgrade on 11.0? If not try to update it to 11.0 and downgrade it afterwards.
Heard a lot of people having issues with the One Click Setup who said this fixed it.(Worth a try if you aren't on 11.0).

Just make sure to not update SysNAND!

Sorry. Yes I have backed every NANDs after making them to location in my computer. I think I'll try using a different sd card. As of this moment my sysNAND is on ver. 9.2.0. I tried formatting my sd card since only the sd card will be affected. Okay, now my SysNAND says ver. 9.2 and I have tried to redo the steps specific for units already in 9.2. but for some reason I cannot proceed with Part 3 Step 16 of Plailect's guide. The guide says that after setting up RedNAND and launching Luma3DS, my unit should boot to home menu to indicate that the process was a success. Well it certainly booted back to home menu, however when I check the settings, it says ver. 9.2 instead of emu 9.2 meaning I failed to launch Luma. Putting my sd card back to my computer, the files became shitty and chaotic..its a mess and not usable. I tried the process again and the same thing happened. Please help.

PS: I still think that restoring my unit to factory settings is the best course of action if I want to try the process from the beginning. Is there anyway to do it even if my SysNAND is on 9.2? thanks alot

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry. Yes I have backed every NANDs after making them to location in my computer. I think I'll try using a different sd card. As of this moment my sysNAND is on ver. 9.2.0. I tried formatting my sd card since only the sd card will be affected. Okay, now my SysNAND says ver. 9.2 and I have tried to redo the steps specific for units already in 9.2. but for some reason I cannot proceed with Part 3 Step 16 of Plailect's guide. The guide says that after setting up RedNAND and launching Luma3DS, my unit should boot to home menu to indicate that the process was a success. Well it certainly booted back to home menu, however when I check the settings, it says ver. 9.2 instead of emu 9.2 meaning I failed to launch Luma. Putting my sd card back to my computer, the files became shitty and chaotic..its a mess and not usable. I tried the process again and the same thing happened. Please help.

PS: I still think that restoring my unit to factory settings is the best course of action if I want to try the process from the beginning. Is there anyway to do it even if my SysNAND is on 9.2? thanks alot

Bolded part just reinforces my suspicion that your SD card has bad sectors or is otherwise damaged. You need to get a DIFFERENT sd card to try this with. The closest you can come to restoring the unit to "factory settings" is to do a device format from inside system settings, which will unlink the device from your NNID and wipe any installed titles/tickets. It will still be on the same firmware it was on before the format. I strongly suggest you DO NOT do this, especially if you have a NNID linked or any purchased/downloaded games or saves you do not want to lose.

As for whether your sysnand is even still on 9.2, if you are following the guide 100% and not deviating in any way, then you can trust what the system settings says. Sysnand is not actually downgraded at all by the One Click Setup program. What it does is patch the downgraded emunand to boot properly, then clones it to the sysnand. If you can still boot your sysnand after the error in One Click Setup and it still says 9.2, then the error occured before it attempted to write to the nand chip and you are safe to start over and try again.

That said, your comments about the state of the files on the SD card when viewed in the computer strongly suggests that the SD card is defective or damaged. GET A NEW ONE BEFORE CONTINUING.

Kalabit_Betlog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bolded part just reinforces my suspicion that your SD card has bad sectors or is otherwise damaged. You need to get a DIFFERENT sd card to try this with. The closest you can come to restoring the unit to "factory settings" is to do a device format from inside system settings, which will unlink the device from your NNID and wipe any installed titles/tickets. It will still be on the same firmware it was on before the format. I strongly suggest you DO NOT do this, especially if you have a NNID linked or any purchased/downloaded games or saves you do not want to lose.

As for whether your sysnand is even still on 9.2, if you are following the guide 100% and not deviating in any way, then you can trust what the system settings says. Sysnand is not actually downgraded at all by the One Click Setup program. What it does is patch the downgraded emunand to boot properly, then clones it to the sysnand. If you can still boot your sysnand after the error in One Click Setup and it still says 9.2, then the error occured before it attempted to write to the nand chip and you are safe to start over and try again.

That said, your comments about the state of the files on the SD card when viewed in the computer strongly suggests that the SD card is defective or damaged. GET A NEW ONE BEFORE CONTINUING.

Wow that was really informative. Thanks Sir Aroth.
I don't have anything on my 3ds right now. I always start from OOB settings to reduce risks. I do have a different SD card ready to use, just some clarifications on the bolded part before proceeding: It is safe to format device from system settings with ver. 9.2, right? Following that, by "same firmware before format" you mean that it's gonna be 9.2 after device format? The original was 10.3.0-28U.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow that was really informative. Thanks Sir Aroth.
I don't have anything on my 3ds right now. I always start from OOB settings to reduce risks. I do have a different SD card ready to use, just some clarifications on the bolded part before proceeding: It is safe to format device from system settings with ver. 9.2, right? Following that, by "same firmware before format" you mean that it's gonna be 9.2 after device format? The original was 10.3.0-28U.

It will still be on 9.2 yes. If you are concerned about doing a format via system settings because of the downgrade from 10.3 to 9.2, you can install TinyFormat.cia and use it to do a format without touching NNID settings (which is where any issue might come from, afaik)

Kalabit_Betlog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It will still be on 9.2 yes. If you are concerned about doing a format via system settings because of the downgrade from 10.3 to 9.2, you can install TinyFormat.cia and use it to do a format without touching NNID settings (which is where any issue might come from, afaik)

UPDATE 1: Thank you very much. I successfully launched RedNAND. I will now proceed with the rest of the guide. I'll update this post if anything good/bad happens

Kalabit_Betlog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

UPDATE 2: While doing the downgrade on the Plaisysupdater for 2.1, the nintendo error screen showed up on the bottom screen "an error has occured. Hold down POWER button...". This happened after the line with NFIRM something came up. Not so sure what the line is exactly since it happened so fast. Please help

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE 2: While doing the downgrade on the Plaisysupdater for 2.1, the nintendo error screen showed up on the bottom screen "an error has occured. Hold down POWER button...". This happened after the line with NFIRM something came up. Not so sure what the line is exactly since it happened so fast. Please help

Ok, it happened while using PlaiSysUpdater to downgrade your RedNAND to 2.1 right?

Assuming you followed the guide 100% to this point, you should have a pair of files called "emunand_formatted.bin" and "emunand_formatted.bin.sha". Copy these to the root of your sd card and then launch Decrypt9WIP. Restore emunand_formated.bin to your RedNAND, and try to downgrade again.

Kalabit_Betlog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, it happened while using PlaiSysUpdater to downgrade your RedNAND to 2.1 right?

Assuming you followed the guide 100% to this point, you should have a pair of files called "emunand_formatted.bin" and "emunand_formatted.bin.sha". Copy these to the root of your sd card and then launch Decrypt9WIP. Restore emunand_formated.bin to your RedNAND, and try to downgrade again.

UPDATE 3: Tried it for the third time, it's still the same

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, usually a failure during the downgrade process is indicative of something being wrong with the files being installed or the files being overwritten.

Try loading up the rednand, and updating it to 11.0.0-33 via system settings, THEN downgrading it.

Male 100% sure you are updating RedNAND and not SysNAND

Kalabit_Betlog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm, usually a failure during the downgrade process is indicative of something being wrong with the files being installed or the files being overwritten.

Try loading up the rednand, and updating it to 11.0.0-33 via system settings, THEN downgrading it.

Male 100% sure you are updating RedNAND and not SysNAND

Still the same error

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still the same error

Only thing I can say to do is keep trying. The guide even says that it can take "many many tries" before it goes through. N3DS systems tend to error out more often.

Still the same error

Is the error related to NFIRM every time?

If so, what cfw are you using to access the rednand?

Kalabit_Betlog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Only thing I can say to do is keep trying. The guide even says that it can take "many many tries" before it goes through. N3DS systems tend to error out more often.

Is the error related to NFIRM every time?

If so, what cfw are you using to access the rednand?

Honestly, I am not sure. After I surpassed the 5th try I stopped watching over the downgrade. I've done the same process for over 20 times now and I still get the same error. Supppose that those were all NFIRM related, what does that indicate? What do I have to do? Right at this moment I'm trying to start the process again from setting up RedNAND. Oh, and I'm using Luma3DS.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, I am not sure. After I surpassed the 5th try I stopped watching over the downgrade. I've done the same process for over 20 times now and I still get the same error. Supppose that those were all NFIRM related, what does that indicate? What do I have to do? Right at this moment I'm trying to start the process again from setting up RedNAND. Oh, and I'm using Luma3DS.

There is a warning in the guide that is directed at Reinand users, directing them make sure they are using the latest version and most recent firmware files before attempting the downgrade because otherwise the downgrader will fail 100% of the time when it gets to the NFIRM. That should not be a problem for you if you are using Luma3DS (though I would double check that you are using the latest 5.5 version). The only other thing that comes to mind is to wonder if you have ever installed anything like a modified TWL_FIRM or AGB_FIRM, as these would also potentially cause errors during downgrade, same for a downgraded MSET.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs