Pixelart (sprite edit) of my avatar, opinions?

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Alrighty, after being so much time without a proper signature I decided to try and do something for it (partially because @TurdPooCharger gave me an idea). I wanted to make a pixelart version of my avatar (Vaporweeve, made by unusacies) so I decided to make an edit based on Eevee's HgSs sprite. Problem is that, well... I'm no artist, nor I've ever done any serious spritework. :unsure:
vaporweevee_pixelart.png

This is the result. (If you're using TempStyle Dark then I suggest you view it in a separate window) Any thoughts/improvements/etc?

EDIT: Here's a WIP of my signature
image.gif

Last edited by RattletraPM,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like where you're going with this, but it's kinda small and hard to make out. I'm seeing the current rendition on my 42-inch 1080p TV monitor sitting about three and half feet away. For those who've never seen his entirety, they might not recognize or know what they're looking. Not sure how Vaporeevee fares on a 14-17" laptop screen.

However, in its current size, I see a custom Nintendo arcade badge in the making. :)

Try upping the size twice/thrice as big, although this might not work if he comes out too pixelated.

Then again, don't put too much emphasis on my feedback. This coming from someone whose picture is super crappy. :creep:

Reactions: RattletraPM

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty, after being so much time without a proper signature I decided to try and do something for it (partially because @TurdPooCharger gave me an idea). I wanted to make a pixelart version of my avatar (Vaporweeve, made by unusacies) so I decided to make an edit based on Eevee's HgSs sprite. Problem is that, well... I'm no artist, nor I've ever done any serious spritework. :unsure:
vaporweevee_pixelart.png

This is the result. (If you're using TempStyle Dark then I suggest you view it in a separate window) Any thoughts/improvements/etc?
I always wanted to make pixel art. Do you have any tips where I can start?

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick question guys.
Lets say Im really really horrible at drawing (I am)
Would I still be able to do pixel art?
I hope its not a retarded question because Im serious :D

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh and sorry OP, forgot to say that it looks superb!

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, no clue. I don't know pixel art either. I'm more a meme level photo editor at best.

If you're good with LEGOS or Minecraft, pixel art would be a cinch. Need to up those "Everything is awesome!" or crafting skills.

Reactions: radicalwookie

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I like where you're going with this, but it's kinda small and hard to make out. I'm seeing the current rendition on my 42-inch 1080p TV monitor sitting about three and half feet away. For those who've never seen his entirety, they might not recognize or know what they're looking. Not sure how Vaporeevee fares on a 14-17" laptop screen.

However, in its current size, I see a custom Nintendo arcade badge in the making. :)

Try upping the size twice/thrice as big, although this might not work if he comes out too pixelated.

Then again, don't put too much emphasis on my feedback. This coming from someone whose picture is super crappy. :creep:
First of all, thanks for your post! :D
The picture so far is rather small mainly because it's made in its original resolution (80x80), however making it 2x/4x its size would be a breeze. Here's how it would look at 4x, for example!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Oh and sorry OP, forgot to say that it looks superb!
I'm honestly a beginner, I've never learned properly how to make pixelarts and stuff, most of the ones I've made were purely based on a mix of previous designs or through sheer trial and error. (And most of the ones I've made are REEEEALLY old, circa 2007 - I mainly made them for my own Pokémon romhacks lol. I'm surprised I haven't forgotten anything since :rofl2:)

Still, I feel you CAN indeed make good pixelarts even if you can't draw well IRL. I'm honestly VERY bad when it comes to actual drawings and stuff :ph34r:

Reactions: TurdPooCharger

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm honestly a beginner, I've never learned properly how to make pixelarts and stuff, most of the ones I've made were purely based on a mix of previous designs or through sheer trial and error. (And most of the ones I've made are REEEEALLY old, circa 2007 - I mainly made them for my own Pokémon romhacks lol. I'm surprised I haven't forgotten anything since :rofl2:)
Still, I feel you CAN indeed make good pixelarts even if you can't draw well IRL. I'm honestly VERY bad when it comes to actual drawings and stuff :ph34r:

Thats good to hear.
Im horrible at both drawing and minecraft like games.
Id really like to try though. If I have some time in the evening Ill give it a go haha

Vulpes-Vulpeos

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
so I decided to make an edit based on Eevee's HgSs sprite. Problem is that, well... I'm no artist, nor I've ever done any serious spritework.
It look pretty good to me. Just make x2 and x3 bigger variants and you are ready to go. Pixelart doesn`t like resizing but it loves redrawing :P

I always wanted to make pixel art. Do you have any tips where I can start?
You can go to Deviantart for pixelart tutorials https://www.deviantart.com/popular-all-time/?section=&global=1&q=pixelart+tutorial&offset=0

I hope its not a retarded question because Im serious
It`s easy to start but hard to master. With practice and a lot of time everything become possible.

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

kuwanger

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, this post motivated me to update my own avatar. Not sure if it's really an improvement or not (not really an artist, either). You pixel art/avatar vaguely reminds me of El-fish. That and generally the griffon/chimera.

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Thanks again for you opinions everyone, really appreciated! :D
It look pretty good to me. Just make x2 and x3 bigger variants and you are ready to go. Pixelart doesn`t like resizing but it loves redrawing :P
Yeah, you're absolutely right about that! (I also kinda misread @TurdPooCharger 's post yesterday when he told about resizing because I had a bit of a headache ^^") Redrawing it at 2x/3x is definitely going to be more of a challenge but I'll try nevertheless, I want to add other stuff to my sig so I don't think I'll go over that size. Wish me luck and I'll post it here again when it's done ;)

Actually, this post motivated me to update my own avatar. Not sure if it's really an improvement or not (not really an artist, either). You pixel art/avatar vaguely reminds me of El-fish. That and generally the griffon/chimera.
To be completely honest I don't remember your old avatar so I can't do a before/after comparison... But the shading and reflactions in this one seem really well done!
About El-Fish, that game (aquarium simulator?) looks right at home in a vaporwave compilation. How no one has used it before is beyond me.

Ringotaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
vaporweevee_pixelart.png

Looks awesome!!

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Eh, I still haven't done that bigger version but I've noticed that it would really be too big for my signature...
On the other hand, here's an early WIP version of the sig! I'll probably enlarge it a bit to fit the various links, FCs and stuff (as well as move the text a bit show the animated sun's reflections too) but I think it's already aesthetically pleasing.

image.gif

Thoughts? :P

EDIT: I've thought about it a bit and I might resize my name and move it a bit on the bottom-right. Vaporwave was born as a anonymous genre afterall, and while it's impossible make a signature anonymous by definition I could "limit" this factor as much as I can.

Last edited by RattletraPM,

ry755

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I still haven't done that bigger version but I've noticed that it would really be too big for my signature...
On the other hand, here's an early WIP version of the sig! I'll probably enlarge it a bit to fit the various links, FCs and stuff (as well as move the text a bit show the animated sun's reflections too) but I think it's already aesthetically pleasing.

image.gif

Thoughts? :P
That looks great! But uh, why are you still using Windows XP?

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one