dib

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure why GBAtemp has not equated posting about certain repos and third party piracy apps with posting rom site links, since they're the same thing. Just a heads up that perhaps this should be approached--if for nothing else than the sake of consistency.

dib

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Personally I don't particularly care if people want to trade roms and cracked apps here, but the site doesn't want them and I'm simply not understanding the distinction. If the app is one big resource of cracked apps then how would it be any different from going to the NDS section and saying "hey everybody check out downloadsomendsromshere.com" [not a real site--to my knowledge]

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This look like unconstructive critism to me. If you see any kind piracy on this website, it should be reported immediately and it will be taken down; always has been always will be.

The reason that we cannot equate the softwares its because if the software is not illegal its legal...
For example, this software is used to download warez with linking on this website where illegal apps are readily available. The use you make of it is up to you.

dib

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That would only be relevant if I were suggesting topics of jailbreaking or Cydia should be banned. I am not. Try reading next time.

dib

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is there a point to reporting them? Like I said, if you guys don't care then I don't.

The contradiction is that uTorrent has legitimate uses. Inst. does not--its sole purpose is to search cracked iPhone apps and downloads them. There is literally no other use for it. Again, same exact thing as browsing a rom site.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
Is there a point to reporting them? Like I said, if you guys don't care then I don't.

The contradiction is that uTorrent has legitimate uses. Inst. does not--its sole purpose is to search cracked iPhone apps and downloads them. There is literally no other use for it. Again, same exact thing as browsing a rom site.

There literally are other uses for it, but that's not the issue. The named app isn't illegal to have on your phone, just like flash carts aren't illegal to have in your DS. If there was a homebrew that allowed you to find and illegally download roms, that wouldn't change the legality of the flash cart, just as having a component of the named app that allows you to find and download apps doesn't make it illegal.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
dib said:
I just closed one of those threads, so yes, there's point in it
wink.gif

dib

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
omatic said:
dib said:

There literally are other uses for it, but that's not the issue. The named app isn't illegal to have on your phone, just like flash carts aren't illegal to have in your DS. If there was a homebrew that allowed you to find and illegally download roms, that wouldn't change the legality of the flash cart, just as having a component of the named app that allows you to find and download apps doesn't make it illegal.
What part of this are you not understanding? Your comparisons are as moot as the last guy's.

It's not comparable to owning a flash cart. That would be owning a jailbroken device, and is not what this topic is about. If you can't be arsed to read then why are you chiming in with your opinion?

The issue of legality is further irrelevant. GBAtemp doesn't disallow trading roms or linking to such sites on a per-rom basis depending upon its particular status. They have banned all roms because it's outside the scope of the site and nobody on the staff wants to deal with a bunch of takedown notices. They could just as easily decide tomorrow that nobody can discuss Gamecube systems.

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
omatic said:
If there was a homebrew that allowed you to find and illegally download roms, that wouldn't change the legality of the flash cart

There's actually an R4 (the WiFi one) that lets you download ROMS straight to the card -- and that is OK to discuss; because it, by itself, does not breach copyright. Only then ROMs themselves do.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
(I have not read an post besides the first one)

Using uTorrent is different. Since you can use it legally and it doesn't directly get you any game you want. With THAT program, it leads you directly to th apps/games, and has no legal use.

Fine, I lied, I read raulpica's post.

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Terminator02 said:
well i think the point is even more so with the one for android, the app links directly to the server, there is no set up process
I thought the same.
With the idea of the iOS one, having to find the repository is another matter, whereas you can just look for that and you're home and dry.

Annieone23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even the most unscrupulous of repositories have ligitimate reasons.

Apps that are pulled from the App Store can then only be obtained from "underground" app sources.

A perfect example is Google's pulling of emulators from the Android market, which have since been relocated to a different market service. Emulators are free, and legal, but violated the Terms and Services agreement. So to get my free and legal emulator I must go to the underground repo.

I have yet to see a repo that does not host at least one legitimate app.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c