Piracy right under their noses !

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by coops024, Dec 19, 2007.

Dec 19, 2007
  1. coops024
    OP

Member coops024 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Not sure if this is the right place so feel free to move it mods !

I have had a subscription to the UK's Official Nintendo Magazine since it came out

Every month they have a section of challenges where they post their best times / scores etc and you have to try to beat them and send in a photo to prove it !

So for months and months i read other peoples best times and scores with such envy thinking "Wow these guys are gamer gods ! .... Until i got my Cyclo DS Evo !!!!

The cart has a built in slow down function that makes most of the challanges simple !

Some examples :

Whack a mole - NSMB mini games
    Sort or Splode - NSMB mini games
    Joining the letters / numbers - Brain training (The one where you join A - 1 - B - 2 - C - 3 etc)
    Balloon burst - Big Brain Acadamy
    Correct Change - More Brain Training

I played Whack a mole for ages and my best score was about 93 ... where as the best in the magazine was 118 !!!

So armed with my Cyclo DS evo I enabled the slow down and bingo... whacked every single mole that came up with ease!

My score ? ... 118

Did the same with all the others and matched all the top scores [​IMG]

Now If the writers and editors knew anything about games they would be able to tell that there is NO WAY on gods earth that these scores were attainable without some sort of mod/hack/cheat etc ! ... they have the users name and email address ...it wont be long before they twig !

Thoughts anyone ?

2. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    if you submitted that, i'd e-kick you

using slowmotion is for people who cant do stuff quickly:P

3. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Just because you can't do something without cheating doesn't mean someone else can't do it.

I've seen enough videos of doing the impossible in videogames to know that no matter how hard something is, somewhere there is someone with enough time on their hands to pull it off.

4. Dylaan

Member Dylaan GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    You obviously haven't seen your share of crazy DDR players! [​IMG] Saw some guy in an arcade in Sydney a few weeks ago... Virtually nailed everything perfect! Had to use the bar for support... And he wasn't Asian! (Sorry, but you know stereotypes and such)

5. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    And don't forget thouse Crazzzzeyy Portal players.

6. GH0ST

Member GH0ST Your Hero is a Ghost

France
    I don't use slow motion and i don't cheat ... come on ;-)

7. coops024
    OP

United Kingdom
    Woah !

I didnt want to get flamed .. Ive seen loads of top top gamers doing the seemingly impossible !

But I'm a good gamer and have beten some hard games in my time with dedication and hard work

But I refuse to believe that they were able to get 118 on whack a monty without the slow down !

Even whith the slow down function enabled sometimes there were nearly 10 moles popping up at the same time ! and with around 1 second (played at real time) in which to tap them all ! surly thats beyond the realms of physical possibility !

There are a couple of youtube vids of some very talented gamers beating my score and one guy from hong kong getting 117 (in real time)

I may be wrong and there might just be some spotty kid here in the UK that has the reflexes of a super hero and appears to be better than anyone else ...

But in my experience there are far more cheaters than there are exceptional gamers in this world ! Anyone disagree ?

This is not me being a sore looser ... I fully admit that there are many people better at games than me !

But get off my case ! The point was about (who I believe to be pirates) giving thweir details to the official Nintendo Magazine !

8. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Yeah! Thwey better watch out!

9. coops024
    OP

United Kingdom
    Nice to see we have the typo police on the forums ! [​IMG]

But if you wanted to get picky, if a high score is 'unbelievably high' then why would you believe it ?

[​IMG]

10. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    coops024 well spotted about those scores. I know the competition you mean as me and some friends used to try for some of them years ago.
    You should drop the editor an email with your findings included [​IMG]

11. coops024
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks Thug ...

I would drop an email ... but the mere fact that I know about the flash carts and pirated roms would place me in the same position ...

They would know my isp and then know where to find me !

Yes I'm paranoid ! [​IMG]

But I might send them an letter ! ... they cant trace that ... can they ?

12. locki

Newcomer locki Member

United States
    benefit of the doubt, there are a lot of cheaters in the gaming world but there are also a lot of pro gamers..

if you cheat then you ruined the game for yourself and everybody else..

13. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    Thing is he matched the scores of all the games, not just the one. I imagine the score match ups where with the slowdown on and no higher score was obtainable?
    Thats enough evidence for me though I wouldn't mind trying a few out for myself. Shame I don't have a Cyclo [​IMG]

14. coops024
    OP

United Kingdom
    Exactly !

How come thug can see the striking coincidence !

the sort or splode one is the only one I didnt match the score (the one where you put the black bob-om's in the black zone and the Red ones in the red zone before the explode) but that was due to the face thet I'd smached my real high score and it wasnt getting any harder with the slow down on. I think I could have gone on forever ?? not sure what the high score in the mag was ?

If you do get a Cyclo give it a go ! 118 is the highest you can get in Whack a montie (because thats all that come up)

I would only send in a high score if I'd beat it legit .. I tend not to use cheats or walkthroughs on games that I love as it ruins the experience for me .

But have used them in games that i want to see the end but the game isnt good enough to make me want to get that good !

Contra 4 for example ! - good game but i didnt want to put the hours in to get good enough !

15. enigmaindex

Member enigmaindex the Scarecrow

Australia
    If your a Super Mario 64 fan like me you have to see the speed runs they do in Youtube. Utter craziness and yeah. Really cool, although most of it is hacking and glitching it just really makes you feel insignificant after it took you ages to complete the game and they can finish it in 15 minutes. [​IMG]

16. coops024
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thay are insane !

And like you say ots of them are done by hacking etc, but they just look soo damn cool !

I saw the NSMB one and that was brilliant ! It must take a lot of work to get the button press to activate at the exact nano second !