piracy questions

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by mcjones92, Aug 22, 2008.

Aug 22, 2008

piracy questions by mcjones92 at 3:11 PM (1,184 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. mcjones92
    OP

Member mcjones92 Forest Fam

United States
    To report ROM sites, emulators, Game Copiers, Counterfeit manufacturing, or other illegal activities, please call us at 1-800-255-3700 or e-mail us at piracyscene@noa.nintendo.com

Saw that on Nintendo website, probably some of you guys too. I was just wondering, why hasn't Nintendo made a huge issue of this? A bunch of ROM sites still exist, and everything else they mentioned. If someone was to be reported to Nintendo, what would they do?

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    They'd hire a contract killer to assassinate the webmaster.

But this site is clean, so we won't get shut down. [​IMG]

3. Mohammad

Member Mohammad GBAtemp Regular

United States
    *cough* sure we are *cough*

4. mcjones92
    OP

Member mcjones92 Forest Fam

United States
    I just don't understand.
    No offense to anyone here, but most people do illegal downloads here like ROMs. So, you're absolutely right, this website does no illegal actions, but in some way it leads to them. So Nintendo potentially could do something about this site...

And about the ROM sites, why doesn't Nintendo just find a way to shut them down? Then most of the use for flashcarts would be useless...but maybe that is a little difficult considering how vast the web is, but the major ones. I'm not saying I want Nintendo to take further actions, but a lot of people are "stealing" their products.

One more thing, I asked what would happen if a person was turned in for illegal copying?

5. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    No ROMs = Nothing they can do. Simple as that.

They don't control the internet, and there's no switch to shut down a website. [​IMG]

They pay a big fine and possibly go to prison.

6. MoonCat5

Newcomer MoonCat5 Member

United States
    Nintendo won't do a thing. They make plenty of profit off the systems. And if they did somehow stop game copying then flash carts could still be used for homebrew stuff.

7. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    First a crime has to have been comitted. Like has been said, this site hosts no files and enforces a "no links of any sort to same" policy.

Second, the source of the site has to be in a country where the action is also a crime. Japanese law has as much value to a Canadian as US law. You know the FBI warning that precedes a lot of dvds? Doesn't mean squat to a Canadian. US law is for Americans.
    Now granted, the FBI likely can mention an infraction to the Canadian Justice depeartment, and Canadian law can be applied.
    Just keep in mind, Canadian law isn't about enforcing US laws. We prefer enforcing Canadian law in Canada thank you very much.

In most cases most sites are about torrent links to somewhere else. The concept of what exactly a torrent link truly is, is what often gets muddy.

Most sites online, are buying there online existence from some manner of small operation business. Usually what happens is Nintendo (or whatever nasty deep pocketed org is involved) shows up and "informs" the site provider that their client is doing things that are unappreciated, and they either ditch the client, or things suddenly get unpleasantly expensive.
    That usually leads to the site suddenly needing a new server.

But this doesn't work in some nations. And in some cases the nasty deep pocketed org is promptly told to piss off.

8. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    Where was that on the Nintendo website? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

Maybe I'm just blind.

Disregard that, I found it. It's on the contact page.

9. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ wtf, nintendo

United States
    Nintendo is making $50 on every wii they sell.
    Nintendo is also losing the least amount of money to piracy.

Therefore Nintendo is least worried about piracy and rom sites.
    And legally Nintendo can do nothing to GBATemp. we have nothing illegal.

...just help to do the illegal.