Piracy is not the problem. Money is.

Wolvenreign

Transhuman Satanist Furry Technocrat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I don't get the "idea" because all you're doing is removing one framework of establishing value and installing another - this doesn't fix anything at all. Moreover, you also install unequality on the basis of mental skills - not everyone is inclined towards programming, you effectively remove the capacity to vote away from the people you find unworthy.

The problem with money is, again, that it doesn't measure anything real. It's commodity, NOT resource. This is something that a lot of people easily mess up. Allow me to illuminate the difference.

Take, for example, the case of celebrity items being sold for ridiculous amounts of money that you say would represent resources. Is Elvis' hair any more useful as a resource than anyone else's hair, outside of it's use in commerce? No, and that's what makes it a commodity. On the other hand, $115,120 worth of farmland would have been useful in actually feeding people, which makes it a resource. Do you know why the celebrity hair is more valuable in a monetary economy, than, say, even a single meal to feed a single person? It's because it's more scarce relative to the desire for it. That's what makes it so utterly ridiculous in the first place. (Sorry for the weird text, I copied this from a PM because it was exactly what I wanted to say here.)

This value needs to be replaced because it isn't accurate. That's what technology and improvement are all about; changing things as you know more about them so they solve problems and/or solve them more efficiently. In this case, we are replacing commodity-value with resource-value, actually entailing exactly how much energy something uses, what materials it has, and how much is left. Actually measuring how much we have so we can use it accordingly and have it available for re-use.

Due to this being a society of technology whose language is programming, one would need to know how to program every bit as much as a person who wants to vote now needs to know how to read. This effectively guarantees an educated democracy who are more understanding of what is needed in a program that ensures equal access to the world's resources. At one point, we may have said "democracy creates a caste for the educated who know how to read!", and we may have very well been right. However, the right sort of education, especially if it's done globally, changes that drastically.

I think this video, in addition, can help everyone to understand what changed about our society after technology advanced rapidly during the Great Depression.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
It's dismaying to see that you can't see any flaws in your ideal society that relies on everyone involved having the same (high) proficiencies...like it or lump it, everyone is different and can't contribute to society in the same ways. A resource based economy is something we've moved beyond....you take an example of a celebrity nick-nak, but are antiques really any different? Lets say you have something recovered from the Titanic. It's not worth anything in your terms. Additionally equating everyone's efforts is immensely short-sighted.

Take Tom, Dick and Harry. Tom is a stand up Comedian....he LOVES people watching/listening/talking about him, he enjoys writing his material and he's very funny....it just comes naturally to him as he's quick witted. He entertains tens of thousands of people with his shows and gets paid extremely well for it. He doesn't regard it as hard either. Then there's Dick a complex paediatric Neurosurgeon who sees one or two people a day. His job is very stressful despite only seeing 7 or 8 cases each week and his impact upon society is very low in terms of raw output...these children are not contributing to society and very well may never do so. However it's important work and despite being stressful and sometimes keeping him awake with worry when something goes wrong he impacts heavily on the families he interacts with. Then there's Harry. He's not very bright but he's immensely strong and trained for years as a Farrier. However that career totally dried up in this new age and he's had to find other work....which he does scraping down sewer walls (i know someone who has done this...it's a real job). He spends 8 to 10 hours a day in the most foul places imaginable doing back breaking work...it doesn't require any skill, he doesn't have much responsibility but without that mindless work eventually there'd be sanitation problems and illness.

In order of pay i would expect in the real world it would probably be world class comic > surgeon > sewer scraper. However in your terms the one who makes the biggest resource impact is that last one. Surely i can't be the only one thinking that's a completely messed up system.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Money, huh?

Money, get away. Get a good job with more pay and you're okay. Money, it's a gas. Grab that cash with both hands and make a splash. New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

Money, get back. I'm all right, Jack, keep your hands off my stack. Money, it's a hit. Don't give me that do goody-good bullshit. I'm in the hi-fidelity, first class traveling set and I think I need a Lear jet.

Money, it's a crime. Share it fairly, but don't take a slice of my pie. Money, so they say, is the root of all evil today, but if you ask for a rise it's no surprise that they're giving none away.

Yeah, I think I arrived too late to offer anything of substance. I will say that money, for all its ills, is an extremely efficient tool for bartering, and is so ingrained into society that I don't think it will - or could - go anywhere anytime soon. That's just the reality of the situation, and we're better off trying to improve what we have now for the betterment of all than chasing utopic dreams.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I don't think that the developer not getting money is the issue of piracy, as pre-owned is perfectly accepted by pretty much everyone.
The real issue with piracy is the fact that there are people that buy things with their hard earned money, while there are others who just cheat the system and get the same thing for free.
But can you really blame them for getting it for free?
Money is better went towards things other than media, media has such ridiculous amounts of money while there are people working their asses off getting nothing, but on top of that expected to fork out huge amounts of money for entertainment.
The Media Industry have so much money that it's basically a playground for rich people , creating whatever the hell controversial things (Honey boo-boo) they want.

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a stupid, naive article that's too long by 3/4s. It would be great if everything was free and we lived in a utopia and we could all jerk ourselves off over the rainbow. Not really, I like the struggle, the wars, the money, climbing over other people that aren't as talented as me. I guess we all have our ideas of what utopia is

Wolvenreign

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's dismaying to see that you can't see any flaws in your ideal society that relies on everyone involved having the same (high) proficiencies...

Xist, what's dismaying to me is your continuous inability to read and comprehend the information presented. I have said

Granted, it isn't a perfect system, but the idea isn't perfection, which is an impossible feat in this case, but rather, tackling our problems in a logical, thought-out manner.

This very clearly demonstrates that you are holding on to the idea that what I have presented is utopic and idealistic, rather than scientific and logical. It's us trying, via complete measurement and calculation of the rate of use of the resources available to us, to determine where resources and effort should be placed to create a sustainable global economy in amidst a finite set of resources.

Due to this, I must ask you...do you care more about making a point, or arriving at a logical conclusion based on reason and evidence? You certainly don't seem interested in reading the reasoning, and you seem incapable of observing the evidence, as you yourself had admitted when you said that you cannot watch the videos I have presented due to your lack of bandwidth. Is this not the same as a blind man attempting to be a lawyer? To clarify, I am not trying to be insulting. I am asking an honest question about your ability to partake in this conversation.

like it or lump it, everyone is different and can't contribute to society in the same ways. A resource based economy is something we've moved beyond....

Moved beyond? We have never partaken in a resource-based economy. As I have clarified in my very first post, communism or any other ideal which has fallen did so because it was tied up with money. The USSR fell because it couldn't keep up with US Military spending, as seen in this well sourced article. The closest thing that has ever come to fruition (and it didn't, in the end) was Technocracy, a movement of the 1930s that recognized money's role in the Great Depression following the Industrial Revolution.

you take an example of a celebrity nick-nak, but are antiques really any different? Lets say you have something recovered from the Titanic. It's not worth anything in your terms.

Precisely, because it is a commodity of historical value, not of resource value. In other words, it would not be traded for something that can feed, clothe, or house people, because those things are resources. And, as Dr. Indiana Jones once said...

qm.gif
qm.gif

in+a+museum.jpg

Additionally equating everyone's efforts is immensely short-sighted.

Do you know what I think is short-sighted? Continuing to waste our finite resources via planned obsolescence until all of it lays in an unusable junk heap, and no amount of money will ever feed, clothe, or house anyone ever again. That is the process that a global monetary system creates out of necessity for it's own continued, needless survival. Besides, "equating" everyone's efforts is absurd. It's always comparing apples to oranges, and in no sense does a resource-based economy "equate" anyone's efforts. Again, you have misunderstood. When I gave the example of someone creating greater fuel efficiency for the sake of having greater fuel efficiency, it wasn't that just this one person gets the greater fuel efficiency; the discovery is published and instantly made part of scientific knowledge, which, given rigorous enough testing, becomes a part of technology. This is the strength known as "the internet", and it was part of my original point in my post; the ability to replicate and transmit technological and all sorts of data shouldn't be restricted by the ultimately arbitrary commodity-based value system. These sorts of things *aren't* scarce, they're nigh-infinite, and we should use this to our advantage as a species rather than confine it to an age-old, unscientific, thoughtless system.

Take Tom, Dick and Harry. Tom is a stand up Comedian....he LOVES people watching/listening/talking about him, he enjoys writing his material and he's very funny....it just comes naturally to him as he's quick witted. He entertains tens of thousands of people with his shows and gets paid extremely well for it. He doesn't regard it as hard either. Then there's Dick a complex paediatric Neurosurgeon who sees one or two people a day. His job is very stressful despite only seeing 7 or 8 cases each week and his impact upon society is very low in terms of raw output...these children are not contributing to society and very well may never do so. However it's important work and despite being stressful and sometimes keeping him awake with worry when something goes wrong he impacts heavily on the families he interacts with. Then there's Harry. He's not very bright but he's immensely strong and trained for years as a Farrier. However that career totally dried up in this new age and he's had to find other work....which he does scraping down sewer walls (i know someone who has done this...it's a real job). He spends 8 to 10 hours a day in the most foul places imaginable doing back breaking work...it doesn't require any skill, he doesn't have much responsibility but without that mindless work eventually there'd be sanitation problems and illness.

In order of pay i would expect in the real world it would probably be world class comic > surgeon > sewer scraper. However in your terms the one who makes the biggest resource impact is that last one. Surely i can't be the only one thinking that's a completely messed up system.

Allow me to show you something, xist.

This is Earth.

earth.jpg

This is Earth in space.

earthspace.jpg

Earth represents the amount of resources we actually have compared to how much we don't have, which is outer space.

We can also see that this picture represents how much I give a shit about your world-class comic (Earth) compared to how much anyone should care about the preservation of our resources and ability to sustain life on Earth (space).

This is reality, xist. If we as a species want to survive in this near-infinite blackness, if we want to reach to the farthest stars, if we want to see and experience everything that science has to offer us as sentient beings, we have to play it smart. We have to do everything in our power to ensure that there will be resources for our children, and our children's children, and so on. We don't do that by equating resources to celebrity hair or Titanic vases. We don't do it by assigning a magical value to a comedian's work. We do it by measuring how much we have and carefully deliberating how much we're using. We do it by using less while producing more (technology), we do it by seeing how much there is and how much we're using. Science is the answer, not half-baked truisms, not tradition, not worthless, thoughtless arbitrary feelings about utopia and non-utopia.

Speaking of which, feel free to read this next paragraph over and over again until you finally understand it.

A resource-based economy is not a utopia. It does not thrive on idealism. It thrives on careful calculation, measurement, experimentation, and scientific rigor. It accounts for humans' actual behavior based on what we really observe in motivational and psychological science, not bizarre, uninformed truisms like "human nature". It is not Communism. Communism collapsed due to financial problems. It is not the same as money. Money is commodity, not resource.

Oh, and I know that you must have a lot of feelings about the point you want to make right now, but in my experience, it is always better to sit back for a while and think about the points given, to look at the evidence presented, and actually think about substantiating your points with sourced articles and examples. After all, when you make a positive statement, you have a burden of proof to meet. Feel free to point to something I haven't backed up.

I don't think that the developer not getting money is the issue of piracy, as pre-owned is perfectly accepted by pretty much everyone.
The real issue with piracy is the fact that there are people that buy things with their hard earned money, while there are others who just cheat the system and get the same thing for free.
But can you really blame them for getting it for free?
Money is better went towards things other than media, media has such ridiculous amounts of money while there are people working their asses off getting nothing, but on top of that expected to fork out huge amounts of money for entertainment.
The Media Industry have so much money that it's basically a playground for rich people , creating whatever the hell controversial things (Honey boo-boo) they want.
No offense, FireGrey, but did you read the first post at all, or did you simply read the title and reply...?

This is a stupid, naive article that's too long by 3/4s. It would be great if everything was free and we lived in a utopia and we could all jerk ourselves off over the rainbow. Not really, I like the struggle, the wars, the money, climbing over other people that aren't as talented as me. I guess we all have our ideas of what utopia is

I find it amusing that you would write "this is stupid" and then immediately "it's too long!".

Remember kids, saying TL;DR is the same as saying "I'm way too stupid to actually read through all of this and understand it in any capacity.".

Also, how are you contributing to a conversation about solving problems by saying that you like problems?

Reactions: kupo3000

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In the case of pre-owned software, the developer was already paid for that particular copy by the previous owner - there's no reason as to why the company should be paid twice for it. The license to own the software (in the form of the physical medium) transfers to the new owner.

The real issue with piracy is the fact that there are people that buy things with their hard earned money, while there are others who just cheat the system and get the same thing for free. But can you really blame them for getting it for free?
Of course you can - it's unauthorized copying.

Money is better went towards things other than media,
Meaning "not Sony"? I jest, I jest. :tpi:

media has such ridiculous amounts of money while there are people working their asses off getting nothing, but on top of that expected to fork out huge amounts of money for entertainment.
Because the people who create said media dedicated their lives to educate themselves in the areas concerned with its creation, likely spending money to achieve the necessary qualifications. That, and the companies themselves have to fork out millions to properly distribute as well as advertise their products in order to make them actually sell.

...again, those rich people 9 out of 10 times weren't born into filthy wealth - Microsoft and Apple started off in garages and they're giants now, Notch made his fortune (it can easily be considered a fortune at this point) with a single well-selling game - these are not isolated cases. Is the media industry a playground of rich people? Yes, yes it is, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you can't enter it - you just need to have a good idea and you need to know how to sell it.

Again, we run into the non-existant dilemma of whether or not we should pay for digital media if it's not physical. I say non-existant because we obviously should - the fact that it's merely information doesn't mean that it doesn't have a given value attached to it, derrived from the development, advertisement and distribution costs.

If you really want to think about this in terms of resources then think about all the food and drink the developers and their families consumed during development which are covered by their paycheck, all the paper wasted on promotional posters and adverisements or reviews in magazines, all the electricity that was used to run the computers used (and that entails using whatever resources are used in nearby power plants), all the rolls of film and tapes used when filming or recording and so on and so forth - you do use very physical resources during the creation of completely non-physical media - you just never think about it.

Wolvenreign

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you really want to think about this in terms of resources then think about all the food and drink the developers and their families consumed during development which are covered by their paycheck, all the paper wasted on promotional posters and advertisements or reviews in magazines, all the electricity that was used to run the computers used (and that entails using whatever resources are used in nearby power plants), all the rolls of film and tapes used when filming or recording and so on and so forth - you do use very physical resources during the creation of completely non-physical media - you just never think about it.

You're missing the point.

Regardless of whether something uses or doesn't use physical resources, the fact that we are allowed to experience technology free from the restraints of an absurd, immoral, intellectually bankrupt system is something that needs to be celebrated, not shamed or shunned.

The guilt that you feel when you "pirate" something is the guilt of the slave afraid to leave his/her chains. The guilt of the runaway slave worker who fears that his/her fellow human property will be flogged because of his/her disappearance. Your empathy, though well meant, is entirely misplaced. Your chains are not of steel; they are of paper. Your locks are not the locks of metal; they are price tags.

On the besides, in terms of resources, the food and drink the developers and their families consumed during development are actually just the food and drink they needed to survive. In a sane world, a world of calculation and measurement, these things would be provided so they wouldn't have to even think about money. Go watch the video about motivational science on the first page again, if you haven't already. People desire mastery, fun, and recognition. None of these things "require" a monetary system.

I do agree that paper is wasted on advertisement, as is pretty much anything else related to it. It's one of the biggest useless dumps of resources we've ever known.

Let me ask you this, as well...do you understand the difference between commodities and resources now? It seems to have been a major source of contention.

Reactions: kupo3000

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Xist, what's dismaying to me is your continuous inability to read and comprehend the information presented.

This very clearly demonstrates that you are holding on to the idea that what I have presented is utopic and idealistic, rather than scientific and logical. It's us trying, via complete measurement and calculation of the rate of use of the resources available to us, to determine where resources and effort should be placed to create a sustainable global economy in amidst a finite set of resources.

You haven't presented anything logical. You've presented an idealistic dream that's reliant on tearing down our current system and is dependent upon all the richest and most powerful people suddenly becoming true altruists. It's also dependent upon everyone being of equal high ability and self motivated. My viewpoint doesn't demonstrate that i'm holding onto anything other than experience of real life and observations of people in the public and private sectors. You seem to be continually missing the point that "worth" or "value" is relative....there is no complete measurement or calculation that would be accurate for all. Furthermore given that society is not at a plateau any potential calculation made may be rendered obsolete at any point.

Due to this, I must ask you...do you care more about making a point, or arriving at a logical conclusion based on reason and evidence? You certainly don't seem interested in reading the reasoning, and you seem incapable of observing the evidence, as you yourself had admitted when you said that you cannot watch the videos I have presented due to your lack of bandwidth. Is this not the same as a blind man attempting to be a lawyer? To clarify, I am not trying to be insulting. I am asking an honest question about your ability to partake in this conversation.

The evidence? You haven't presented any evidence...just a video. Are there extant communes living like this interacting with the world around them and thriving? But wait, your net sentence implies the only evidence is the video....nothing else? I can't watch a video and since there's no documented peer reviewed articles published on this i'm a figurative blind man? Obviously that video must be critical to the whole argument.

Moved beyond? We have never partaken in a resource-based economy. As I have clarified in my very first post, communism or any other ideal which has fallen did so because it was tied up with money. The USSR fell because it couldn't keep up with US Military spending, as seen in this well sourced article. The closest thing that has ever come to fruition (and it didn't, in the end) was Technocracy, a movement of the 1930s that recognized money's role in the Great Depression following the Industrial Revolution.

The Middle Ages saw resource based economies thrive across Europe. As populations grew and trade increased the economies changed and money became more popular again. And that article on the collapse of the Russian economy skims over the realities of the situation at the time...there was no real economic recovery following Stalin's death and what plagued the USSR was the concentration on the Military rather than domestic goods. Additionally the corruption within many of the private firms responsible for armaments and the lack of Russia's reach to other supportive systems, coupled with civil unrest and massive class divisions meant that whilst the military was the first wobble everything else went down around the same time. Blaming money for the collapse of the USSR is shortsighted. A Technocracy boils down to being a form of meritocracy...and they've most certainly existed before. Ultimately they can only succeed properly if each individual is unselfish...something that is generally far from common. Most people can't help but put themselves first in however small a way.

Precisely, because it is a commodity of historical value, not of resource value. In other words, it would not be traded for something that can feed, clothe, or house people, because those things are resources.

It's a resource because it's provides historical contact with an important event. It may be a commodity too but to certain people it's just as much a resource. As i noted earlier it comes down to perspective which isn't equivalent across the world.
qm.gif
qm.gif

Do you know what I think is short-sighted? Continuing to waste our finite resources via planned obsolescence until all of it lays in an unusable junk heap, and no amount of money will ever feed, clothe, or house anyone ever again.

Actually i'm pretty sure it's short-sighted if you think that's actually what's going to happen. Perhaps if you wear a tin foil hat, but for most normal people they'll recognise that strategies adapt and evolve to deal with prevailing political and economic changes. I don't think that Wall-E is a true view of the future.

We can also see that this picture represents how much I give a shit about your world-class comic (Earth) compared to how much anyone should care about the preservation of our resources and ability to sustain life on Earth (space).

This is reality, xist. If we as a species want to survive in this near-infinite blackness, if we want to reach to the farthest stars, if we want to see and experience everything that science has to offer us as sentient beings, we have to play it smart. We have to do everything in our power to ensure that there will be resources for our children, and our children's children, and so on. We don't do that by equating resources to celebrity hair or Titanic vases. We don't do it by assigning a magical value to a comedian's work. We do it by measuring how much we have and carefully deliberating how much we're using. We do it by using less while producing more (technology), we do it by seeing how much there is and how much we're using. Science is the answer, not half-baked truisms, not tradition, not worthless, thoughtless arbitrary feelings about utopia and non-utopia.

Really? You really don't think that in our evil world of monetary economies that resource management and future proofing tomorrow is occurring? I don't know your educational background but as someone with two science degrees i can tell you with first hand knowledge that people are already doing that. We don't need to abolish our current system to do it any better.

Speaking of which, feel free to read this next paragraph over and over again until you finally understand it.

Not insulting huh?

A resource-based economy is not a utopia. It does not thrive on idealism. It thrives on careful calculation, measurement, experimentation, and scientific rigor. It accounts for humans' actual behavior based on what we really observe in motivational and psychological science, not bizarre, uninformed truisms like "human nature". It is not Communism. Communism collapsed due to financial problems. It is not the same as money. Money is commodity, not resource.

If we look at human ethology we can see that mankind has always achieved more when spurred on to succeed. Remove an individuals desire for some form of personal success or reward and you eliminate half the impetus to succeed. It is idealistic to assume that everyone is capable of interacting at that high academic standard...it is idealistic to assume that everyone will want to contribute...it is idealistic to assume that everyone is equally motivated. I agree Money is not a resource, but it IS what the world uses as a foundation. It might be theoretically preferable to change that foundation but it's not realistic....therefore it's an idealistic viewpoint. Furthermore, as you stated earlier if the main determinant for arguing a case here is a video there doesn't seem to be much "careful calculation, measurement, experimentation, and scientific rigor."

Feel free to point to something I haven't backed up.

Getting back to that calculation, measurement, experimentation and scientific rigour it'd be fantastic to see some peer reviewed published articles documenting the inevitable collapse of civilisation you predict, some more documenting successful communes living like this and a set detailing the logical method for equating worth of value for all people around the world. The size of the world precludes one giant ecosystem of the sort you describe so meta-communities would exist...what one community values another based elsewhere in the world may not.

Wolvenreign

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You haven't presented anything logical. You've presented an idealistic dream that's reliant on tearing down our current system and is dependent upon all the richest and most powerful people suddenly becoming true altruists. It's also dependent upon everyone being of equal high ability and self motivated. My viewpoint doesn't demonstrate that i'm holding onto anything other than experience of real life and observations of people in the public and private sectors. You seem to be continually missing the point that "worth" or "value" is relative....there is no complete measurement or calculation that would be accurate for all. Furthermore given that society is not at a plateau any potential calculation made may be rendered obsolete at any point.

Nowhere did I claim that the system is dependent on the richest and most powerful people suddenly becoming true altruists. That is an assumption you are making and continue to make regardless of it's logical merit. The same goes for your claim that it is reliant on everyone being of equal high ability and self motivation. You see, the point is this; given the use of replication technology, greed and altruism essentially become indistinguishable. This is observable not only in open-source software movements such as GNU/Linux, Wikipedia, Firefox, Chrome, etc, but also in physical space, such as with self-replicating 3D printers like RepRap. This distinction between making something for yourself and making something for everyone disappears when replication reaches the point of total abundance, and all that is left is ambition. Regardless of whether you wanted to do it for yourself or for the world, you still do it, and you still upload your work to the rest of the world. Do you know when this stops? When money gets in the way. When money makes it NECESSARY for you to charge for your product and gate it off to the rest of the world, just so you can have a chance at keeping your home, food, and family. In other words, when money enforces scarcity.

Will it require a cultural revolution? What WILL be required to make this happen? I don't know for sure, but I think it starts with showing people the state of technology and having them realize that we don't need to enforce scarcity when such incredible abundance is possible.

And as far as "experience of real life and observations of people in the public and private sectors" goes, this is citing of anecdotal evidence, and as you can see from the link, it is illogical.

The evidence? You haven't presented any evidence...just a video. Are there extant communes living like this interacting with the world around them and thriving? But wait, your net sentence implies the only evidence is the video....nothing else? I can't watch a video and since there's no documented peer reviewed articles published on this i'm a figurative blind man? Obviously that video must be critical to the whole argument.

You assume that the video cannot be evidence, when it is, in fact, a compilation of evidence that produces a case. You are a figurative blind man because you cannot watch this compilation of evidence.

Regardless, I will now link to the study the video refers to. As for the video on the front page of the Venus Project website, Paradise or Oblivion, that is merely a summation of the information provided on www.thevenusproject.com, so you have every opportunity to determine what you're attacking ACTUALLY is compared to what you think it is. When you are able to cease throwing (perhaps unintentional, but still uninformed) straw men, we can move this conversation forward with my actual position.

This is, by the way, in stark contrast to how you have not linked to anything in any of your posts, or sourced any of your claims thus far, period.

The Middle Ages saw resource based economies thrive across Europe. As populations grew and trade increased the economies changed and money became more popular again. And that article on the collapse of the Russian economy skims over the realities of the situation at the time...there was no real economic recovery following Stalin's death and what plagued the USSR was the concentration on the Military rather than domestic goods. Additionally the corruption within many of the private firms responsible for armaments and the lack of Russia's reach to other supportive systems, coupled with civil unrest and massive class divisions meant that whilst the military was the first wobble everything else went down around the same time. Blaming money for the collapse of the USSR is shortsighted. A Technocracy boils down to being a form of meritocracy...and they've most certainly existed before. Ultimately they can only succeed properly if each individual is unselfish...something that is generally far from common. Most people can't help but put themselves first in however small a way.

Once again, you have clearly demonstrated your lack of ability to read what is written and discuss my actual position. I had very, very clearly stated in my first post that a resource based economy is not barter, which is what you seem to think it is.

Some clarification before I go on; I'm using "money" as shorthand for "any system of resource distribution which relies on the use of scarcity "value". This includes capitalism, communism, and any sort of barter system. It doesn't even matter whether it's fiat or "silver/gold standard". Any system at all that uses the scarcity of an item relative to the desire for it as "value" is fundamentally flawed, yet almost entirely unquestioned. A disclaimer, as well; this isn't to say it wasn't, at one point, a useful invention. It is simply irrelevant given our current level of technology and what we have been able to do as a society for nearly a century.

You know, I would think that after all of these posts that you've made and all the times I've asked you to read my posts thoroughly, you would have actually researched the position and ceased to skim. It really would make for a much more efficient conversation.

A resource based economy, as envisioned by the Venus Project and what I refer to when I use the term, would have never been possible in the middle ages. It makes use of technology not available at the time, and uses a worldview that virtually no one had then, that being that the Earth and the resources available to us were finite. Not to mention that you make a huge historical claim about the soviet union without backing it up, which is just another instance of your failure to meet your burden of proof. I will tally what burdens of proof you have to meet at the end of this post.

A Technocracy does not "boil down" to a meritocracy. There are vastly many more intricacies in how it is built and how it functions, inherent in it's engineered design and scientific principles. The only thing that is "boiled down" here is your understanding of it, which I can only presume came from your apparently chronic habit of skimming.

It's a resource because it's provides historical contact with an important event. It may be a commodity too but to certain people it's just as much a resource. As i noted earlier it comes down to perspective which isn't equivalent across the world.
qm.gif
qm.gif

Which is why it belongs in a museum for everyone to observe and grant historical contact with, not made equivalent to something that can feed and house hundreds of other people and traded as such.

Actually i'm pretty sure it's short-sighted if you think that's actually what's going to happen. Perhaps if you wear a tin foil hat, but for most normal people they'll recognize that strategies adapt and evolve to deal with prevailing political and economic changes. I don't think that Wall-E is a true view of the future.

So what you're telling me is that it's crazy to think that wasting a vast amount of resources produces a vast amount of waste, and that it's utterly insane to think that a process which wastes resources at an unsustainable rate on a finite planet in which we don't even measure how many resources we have left will result in those resources being scarce to zilch. As far as recognizing that strategies adapt to evolve and deal with prevailing political and economic changes, that is more or less precisely what I'm advocating for, which is to say that the only real solution to not wasting all of our resources is to see how much we have left, how much we're using, and how we can improve it's usage. It's just basic logic when approaching a finite set of necessary resources. Survival, if you will.

Oh, and I'll let your "tin foil hat" comment stand on it's own as a perfect picture of the mindset you bring to each and every post that you have made in this conversation. Your stereotyping and unfounded presumptions about my stance color your perception and cause you to be entirely disabled in arriving at a real, rational conclusion using evidence and reason.

Really? You really don't think that in our evil world of monetary economies that resource management and future proofing tomorrow is occurring? I don't know your educational background but as someone with two science degrees i can tell you with first hand knowledge that people are already doing that. We don't need to abolish our current system to do it any better.

It seems you have managed to combine three logical fallacies; that of argument from authority, anecdotal evidence, and yet another failure to meet your burden of proof. No, I don't trust you just because you assert that you have two science degrees. Plus, I would think that someone with two science degrees would do a better job at researching his opponent's position and meeting his own burdens of proof, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you have them. Not that it matters as long as your logic is faulty, of course.

The specific burden of proof I refer to is that these projects are going on. So one more for the tally.

We need to abolish, or rather, stop, a process that demonstrably produces a vast amount of waste, and doing it better means not giving two rips about the profit motive and placing conservation and wise use of our resources as our top priority.

Not insulting huh?

I don't insult subtly. You will know if I'm insulting you, because I will actually go out of my way to do it. It would be in your best interest to not assume that this is the case until it is explicit.

My point was that you continue to ignore my very clear statements about what a resource based economy is, as you have once more. If you find it insulting that I continue to point this out, I would suggest that a good solution is to actually do your research and address my real position.

If we look at human ethology we can see that mankind has always achieved more when spurred on to succeed. Remove an individuals desire for some form of personal success or reward and you eliminate half the impetus to succeed. It is idealistic to assume that everyone is capable of interacting at that high academic standard...it is idealistic to assume that everyone will want to contribute...it is idealistic to assume that everyone is equally motivated. I agree Money is not a resource, but it IS what the world uses as a foundation. It might be theoretically preferable to change that foundation but it's not realistic....therefore it's an idealistic viewpoint. Furthermore, as you stated earlier if the main determinant for arguing a case here is a video there doesn't seem to be much "careful calculation, measurement, experimentation, and scientific rigor."

Here, you once again fail to meet your burden of proof. You claim that human ethology (the entire field, apparently) agrees that we can see mankind has always achieved more when spurred on to succeed. This also goes for your assertion about removing an individual's desire and your assertion about everyone wanting to contribute being idealistic. You provide another logical fallacy in the form of an argument by assertion in merely asserting that it isn't realistic. Besides, it is hardly a binary state of affairs, which means you have committed yet another logical fallacy in the false dichotomy. Science often deals in what is not real *yet*, and it is known as the hypothetical or the theoretical, depending on it's status as a hypothesis or a theory.

Getting back to that calculation, measurement, experimentation and scientific rigor it'd be fantastic to see some peer reviewed published articles documenting the inevitable collapse of civilization you predict, some more documenting successful communes living like this and a set detailing the logical method for equating worth of value for all people around the world. The size of the world precludes one giant ecosystem of the sort you describe so meta-communities would exist...what one community values another based elsewhere in the world may not.
[/QUOTE]

Given that we have a finite amount of resources and that they are being rapidly depleted by a profit motive incentive, why do you need a peer reviewed study to tell you that it will eventually run dry much faster than measuring them and watching it's depletion rate would cause it to? Should it not be patently obvious that a continued, sped-up drain on a finite pool will eventually run it dry? Why wouldn't it, exactly? What properties about the profit motive will absolutely ensure that we never run out of resources as long as it is profitable to keep draining and wasting them?

The sad truth of the matter is, there are none who are currently living like this. Why? Because it's impossible in a market economy to do so. Here's the thing, though, and this applies to communism as well; in science, we don't just stop experimenting because something failed in the past. If it is highly plausible that a better solution exists and we have the logic and science to back it up, why would we stop? Our knowledge is never improved by a lack of experimentation.

The fact that one community's culture may value something another's doesn't is entirely irrelevant. They are delivered their resources like anyone else, regardless of if they cherish it more. (Again, look at how it actually works before responding, please.)

So, as promised, I will tally the burdens of proof you have to meet, and as a bonus, I will also summarize the logical fallacies you have made.

Burden 1: Prove that the Soviet Union collapsed in the way you said it did.

Burden 2: Prove that this future-proofing you speak of is happening.

Burden 3: Human ethology agrees that mankind has always achieved more when spurred on to succeed. Actually, kind of that entire paragraph.

Logical Fallacies: Quoting anecdotal evidence, argument from authority, argument by assertion, straw man (uninformed via skimming variant), and false dichotomy.

And lastly, this isn't an insult, but, please, please, PLEASE read up on The Venus Project and my arguments more carefully this time, think closely about meeting your burdens of proof, and thoroughly scrutinize your logic before posting. I really don't want to spend all this time picking through logical fallacies ever again.

(P.S. Hopefully the training you received from those two science degrees will help you.)

Wolvenreign

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not that you are being against this, DJ, but I would like to make it known that a complex, reaching subject like this needs complex, lengthy discussion.

guicrith

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1st I agree I would like that.
2nd There was hunting then there was farming then there was trading then money the way we get resources(food,water,clothes) has changed before it can change again.
3rd Humans selfish nature makes this imposable money is not the problem humans are look at the prisoners dilemma.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
if I may intrude in a non-complex, non-lenghty manner... because correct answers are usually short and obvious.
Burden 1: Prove that the Soviet Union collapsed in the way you said it did.
The Western world had money and was democratic, the Eastern world had money and was socialist/communist - the Western world did not collapse and the Eastern world did. By proxy, money is not at fault as it was a factor on both sides of the Iron Curtain - it's the system that failed. Not a fallacy - fact. It even springs from your apparent love of programming - the variable of money was present in both cases - it could not have been the direct cause. The system was faulty by definition - it was faulty because human nature makes reaching total equality impossible. Just saying.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm uncertain if the question was asked, but if we do away with money, what would happen? Would we go back to a barter system? How would we make it so it's not just software that is reproduced quickly and easily but hardware? What if a replicator system was made, like in Star Trek? Would companies lie back and let their profits become nill, knowing that someone else is able to make better products that are virtually free?

The answer to all that is no. A barter system is flawed, because like the monetary system, it's based on our notions of what something's value is. It all started out as personal value. What someone else wants, we feel we need to keep a hold of it. We're not willing to part with it unless we get something better in return, but in no way to make the other think of it like that. It's how it started out. Money was just brought it as a means of giving a better base line for the values.

Then you have reproducing hardware and software. Software can be easily reproduced, but a company doesn't want to lose out on profits. Even if they made it digital only, downloaded games and not something on a Disc or a game card, they care about profits. Money. Money. Money. More money. That's all they'll see. How to make themselves better. How to make their lives better. (My Economics Professor has said many times in class that we are all inherently selfish. We will never do something that has absolutely no benefit to us. A man won't give to charity unless he believes it'll help him either with good publicity or if he believes in Heaven and the story about getting rewarded generously in the after life.)

If we could make hardware easily reproducible like through a replicator system, what would the companies do? They'd all fight to get that technology for themselves so they can make great products for virtually no expense to them. They'd make a near 99.99% profit on every good they made, and other companies would be losing money because of this. Or they'd band together, knowing that this would completely destroy the value of the entire world's currency, and do everything they can to destroy that system and ban it for all eternity. Anything and everything they do is out of corporate and personal selfishness.

In the end, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. We do away with money, and we go back to the stone age. We develop a 'replicator' system, and we'll either destroy the world economy or get attacked and have ourselves destroyed by corporate greed. And it's going to be difficult to move from one to the other, since so many people, most of them with a lot of financial and political power, are so fixed on preserving the status quo. They'll only move away from greed if they find something else that will make them happier in life.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1st I agree I would like that.
2nd There was hunting then there was farming then there was trading then money the way we get resources(food,water,clothes) has changed before it can change again.
3rd Humans selfish nature makes this imposable money is not the problem humans are look at the prisoners dilemma.
I couldn't agree more with point 3. Money is not the root of all evil. It's the love of money that's the problem.

Edit: Sorry for the double post. Don't know how to merge them.

LDAsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm cautious about these topics now and I don't want in on a huge debate, so I'll just say that game development takes a LOT of time, people and hardware to get done in a decent and proper way, to create what is more than some buggy Sudoku or Atari2600 concept, or building upon someone else's (likely many people's) code like emulators or ports. To do something 100% original that is also substantial takes a lot of time, people and hardware.

If this can be done freely and quickly then I'd really like to see an example of that. I don't know of any examples.

I think most gamers take for granted exactly how much effort has gone into their favourite titles and would be amazed to see the classroom-photo (just for a handheld title) of the "team" of developers and artists who worked hard to make it a reality. For bigger PC titles the photo would look more like a page from a yearbook, hundreds of people. It's a bit weird to assume they could all do it for free. Money is certainly bad in a lot of ways but it can also work like glue to keep teams of people together and with the same common goals and focus.

Wolvenreign

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi, you don't make a logical argument by asserting things and then not sourcing them. Yes, history does need to be sourced, especially when you're making a point. I sourced mine and continue to source it, I ask for the same courtesy.

(On the besides, why do you feel this compulsion to just say things about human nature and not back it up with any anthropological or psychological evidence? Doesn't evidence matter?)

Let's assume, though, that you're right. Have you considered that there are bad frameworks for money to exist in? Frameworks that cause the monetary system to fail?

Take the early 20th century, for example. This was right after the Industrial Revolution changed how commerce worked, creating a system where vastly fewer people were needed to create much, much more. Suddenly, supply and demand is turned on it's head! Suddenly, people couldn't afford the food that lined the shelves, despite the production being there. It was more or less just because these people were out of work. The market economy was borked.

So what was the magic element that suddenly made commerce work again? Well, quite simply, it was waste. Waste, waste, waste. Waste it all so the prices go back up, and then continue to waste so there is a constant scarcity, and thus a constant need to buy, buy, buy. Money doesn't work by itself in a post-industrial revolution economy; it needs juuuuuust the right conditions to thrive, and communism just wasn't cutting it.

Saying that communism failed on it's idealogical merits continues to ignore the enormous factor that the monetary system played in it, particularly in how much it corrupted it's leaders. And why do we say that greed is human nature when we have never observed man outside of a monetary economy? It seems highly unsubstantiated, and it seems the best we can do is to conduct experiments such as the ones conducted in that video about motivation on the first page.

Let me make a suggestion to you, Foxi. Before you say anything else about human nature, do some research on human nature.

Edit: Dimensional, LDAsh. I suggest that both of you do more reading on the subject. Dimensional, you need to read www.thevenusproject.com, which was the link in my signature which actually talks about a real solution to our problems, and it's nothing like what you describe. LDAsh, you need to read the opening post to understand what's being discussed.

Edit 2: It seems a chronic problem that people are responding more to the thread title than the actual opening post or the real idea that's being presented. I wonder if that's my fault? (No sarcasm.)

Wondering what I can do to help people comprehend what I'm actually saying.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    My sister had a N3DS XL and it suffered the same fate.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl the L button barely worked at all in the dsi i previously had
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    my dad bought me a dsi identical to that one
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That could be an easy fix without even opening it with some ipa maybe unless the entire button broke
    That´s why I never got any handheld before the Switch.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, thats why patches exist
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds games are best played on a DS emulation is fine but having actual hardware is better obviously
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or N3ds/2Ds
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, or most "gimmicky" consoles
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah the dual screen makes them better because that's how they were developed for
    +1
    Wii U is also great.
    For DS games.
    Also, 3DS games through NTR streaming on Wii U.
    It's very cool.
    Even playable.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can have main game on big screen and touch lay out on wiiu tablet I can see that
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, I have a broken o3ds xl
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Phones worked great for DS emulation with DraStic and a controller that held your phone
    But sadly that's coming to an end
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, atleast I think the latest version's apk is archived somewhere
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah it works great but it's the obvious Ds factor you loose from it it's not like playing atari games on atari because Nintendo actually use to give a reason to buy their hardware
    +1
    Honestly Ken I actually have the hardware and it's hacked and works fine, prefer my phone lol
    Microphone is more sensitive, DraStic has a high res mode, screen is way better just overall a better experience
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I just like game consoles how they were intended to play if they have a unique enough reason to buy them anything else yeah just download emulation for it
    Oh and touch screen infinity better lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Oh and touch screen infinity better lol