Homebrew Piracy formats

souhukyafod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I'm not here to ask how/where I can pirate games, now that our freeshop is dead.
The question is: what format should the pirated games/roms come in as? .cia?
Do I install these just like any other homebrew .cia program?

I'm way too used to just opening up freeshop, selecting whatever I want like it is some rich kid's Christmas, and leaving it at downloading...

Ps: is "that iso site" really trustworthy? What about updating the games? Do I have to search for updated roms like usual, or what?

Reactions: zoogie

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not here to ask how/where I can pirate games, now that our freeshop is dead.
Doesn't really matter. There are tons of tools to convert between encrypted and decrypted .CIA and .3DS files now.
Yup!
I'm way too used to just opening up freeshop, selecting whatever I want like it is some rich kid's Christmas, and leaving it at downloading...

Ps: is "that iso site" really trustworthy? What about updating the games? Do I have to search for updated roms like usual, or what?
It's about as trustworthy as anything else. Adblock and common sense are your friends. As for updates, those should actually be delivered via the official CDN without issue (unless that's changed, someone correct me if it's wrong now).

SCOTT0852

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They will come in either .3ds or .CIA, if you have a .3DS go into GodMode9, press A on it, and somewhere in that submenu is an option to build a CIA. CIAs can just be installed through FBI.
For updating the games, you can just use the standard eShop. I recall someone had a thing in their signature saying why you shouldn't use that iso site though...

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Most games are update-able with add-on *.cia with Title IDs like this 0004000E000###00. Other games, mostly small size eShop exclusives and Virtual Consoles, update by replacing the entire game itself. These are far fewer than the primary type.

A certain blue fire, white dog Yo-kai has a vast collection of 3ds updates.

Reactions: ConKonner

souhukyafod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Doesn't really matter. There are tons of tools to convert between encrypted and decrypted .CIA and .3DS files now.

Yup!

It's about as trustworthy as anything else. Adblock and common sense are your friends. As for updates, those should actually be delivered via the official CDN without issue (unless that's changed, someone correct me if it's wrong now).

Something tells me that too will be patched rather soon.

This thread is just too funny, lol.
Yes, you just slap the cias on your sd and import them. Like the good ol' "walk 5 miles through the snow to get to piracy" days.

No, you can't trust iso. Use adblock and be suspicious of everybody.

The real problem is how all of these websites are so new. I'm so used to old giants like PB and the late KAT.
Pirating pc games is much easier and safer because you can always analyse the files and their actions, but 3ds roms aren't like that.
Who knows if someone (even Nintendo) injects some malware or red flag on cias and uploads them around. It's a much harder battle now.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Most games are update-able with add-on *.cia with Title IDs like this 0004000E000###00. Other games, mostly small size eShop exclusives and Virtual Consoles, update by replacing the entire game itself. These are far fewer than the primary type.

A certain blue fire, white dog Yo-kai has a vast collection of 3ds updates.

I have no idea of who this white dog is...

Reactions: JiveTheTurkey

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think dabbing into file-sharing is more safer than visiting a shady rom site. Well they're both shady but I've had 90% of 4 years torrenting that have given me good outcomes. Compared to regular searches onsite I would get random installs without confirmation but Im sure that pressing "download" had something to do with it.

This thread is just too funny, lol.
Yes, you just slap the cias on your sd and import them. Like the good ol' "walk 5 miles through the snow to get to piracy" days.

No, you can't trust iso. Use adblock and be suspicious of everybody.
Can't trust Iso? I have almost a hundred isos for gamecube, ps2, pc installs, etc.

Reactions: souhukyafod

souhukyafod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I think dabbing into file-sharing is more safer than visiting a shady rom site. Well they're both shady but I've had 90% of 4 years torrenting that have given me good outcomes. Compared to regular searches onsite I would get random installs without confirmation but Im sure that pressing "download" had something to do with it.

Exactly. Plus torrenting tends to be much faster when compared to how most servers are.
Any recommended ways of finding good 3ds torrents? (in hints...) The main indices aren't too focused on the 3ds (or any handheld console, for that matter).

Can't trust Iso? I have almost a hundred isos for gamecube, ps2, pc installs, etc.

Not Nintendo's isos, no. This company has different strategies against piracy. It's easier for them to inject code into their own well-documented cias than it ever was for any homebrew developer jailbreaking the 3ds.

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Something about a definite article, the verb you want to do, and a broad inlet of the sea where the land curves inward.
Also, something about leet in leet-speek, the second-to-last letter in the English alphabet, and a preposition for the destination.

Last edited by uyjulian,

souhukyafod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Something about a definite article, the verb you want to do, and a broad inlet of the sea where the land curves inward.
Also, something about leet in leet-speek, the second-to-last letter in the English alphabet, and a preposition for the destination.

"something about leet in leet-speek"
mmh, mind trying again?

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any recommended ways of finding good 3ds torrents? (in hints...
Unfortunately or fortunately, I got all my cias via the creator(s) of Villain3ds before it became difficult to restore the program. My villain program is broken idk why. The only tors I interact with now are films tbh.

BUT: If you want to get into that, the regular server for PB is not available for some reason, recently the .onion server is unchanged and my current source.

Last edited by JiveTheTurkey,

souhukyafod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Unfortunately or fortunately, I got all my cias via the creator(s) of Villain3ds before it became difficult to restore the program. My villain program is broken idk why. The only tors I interact with now are films tbh.

BUT: If you want to get into that, the regular server for PB is not available for some reason, recently the .onion server is unchanged and my current source.

You can also use mirrors. They keep going down every couple of weeks, but the content is the same.
Also, afaik, villain3ds is just as dead as freeshop.

Put a period between the second-to-last letter in the English alphabet, and a preposition for the destination

I can't get into that website and I can't find it on google. Are you sure it is named that way?

Nevermind, I got it now. I thought you meant another letter.

JiveTheTurkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get into that website and I can't find it on google. Are you sure it is named that way?
Are you using an onion site on google, you might need Tor to access.

souhukyafod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Are you using an onion site on google, you might need Tor to access.

Ironically, it isn't an onion but I accessed using Tor.
Under EU laws, most piracy websites are forcefully blocked by the internet provider, resolving a warning page instead; so this is a grown habit.

E1ite007

wierd avatar guy
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Something tells me that too will be patched rather soon.
Would be horrible... and I presume that Ninty isn't over with the 3DS so... I may second this.

The real problem is how all of these websites are so new. I'm so used to old giants like PB and the late KAT.
Pirating pc games is much easier and safer because you can always analyse the files and their actions, but 3ds roms aren't like that.
Who knows if someone (even Nintendo) injects some malware or red flag on cias and uploads them around. It's a much harder battle now.
Yeah... also because the 3DS is more newer than Age of Empires, sites for .CIA distribution are newer than, let's say, certain iso zone. But I can recall that that iso site is safe just like a 3ds cia website (just search it like that, is the first webpage result). I download my 3DS games from there.

You can, just use an adblocker and download straight from Google Drive servers or MEGA (usually the most common on that site).

Not Nintendo's isos, no. This company has different strategies against piracy. It's easier for them to inject code into their own well-documented cias than it ever was for any homebrew developer jailbreaking the 3ds.
I have never heard a case of Ninty "injecting code" in their own .ISOs and .CIAs to damage their own consoles. That's like a lot of work for a company that also takes down piracy websites, because it would mean to decrypt and re-encrypt the pirate archives and uploading again to the net, in forums and pirate distribution sites. I dunno, it sound counterproductive for me... because they can just ask MEGA to delete the files and put a DMCA against the webpages.
Also... if they were bricking their own devices against us, today is almost as easy to unbrick a 3DS as installing CFW.
Where did you get that idea?

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They mean that that ISO site, "iso" for short in this case. They didn't mean that game ROM images are unsafe. Well, unless you have very shady cracks on your PC stuff, but that's down to the release scene, not (usually) the publisher or devs.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.................................................................................................

souhukyafod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have never heard a case of Ninty "injecting code" in their own .ISOs and .CIAs to damage their own consoles. That's like a lot of work for a company that also takes down piracy websites, because it would mean to decrypt and re-encrypt the pirate archives and uploading again to the net, in forums and pirate distribution sites. I dunno, it sound counterproductive for me... because they can just ask MEGA to delete the files and put a DMCA against the webpages.
Also... if they were bricking their own devices against us, today is almost as easy to unbrick a 3DS as installing CFW.
Where did you get that idea?

In their position, under the same objective, I would do the same, to be honest. I would red flag consoles, then the respective accounts and put them on watch, server-side. You could catch potential distributors/"dealers" this way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended