Hacking "Pink Fish Disc" not working anymore under 4.0?

althena77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hello!

I used the so called "Pink Fish Disc" before when I was still on 3.2E, information about it can be found here on Wiibrew.

It booted just fine in recovery mode under 3.2E and was actually one time really useful to recover my Wiis serial number, which wasn't readable on the bottom of my Wii. I needed it to delete my shop account at that time as I wanted to switch it to another region.

Anyway, I doubt that I will ever need it again but after updating to 4.0E I just tried to find out what was still working and what not and noticed that this disc doesn't boot anymore and wonder if that is normal. Did Nintendo maybe blacklist it somehow or should it still work?

By the way, is there another way now to recover the serial? On the screenshot on Wiibrew you can see it in the top right corner (LU104019557 in that case) and it is the one also printed on a sticker at the bottom of the Wii. This information really helped me a lot back then, is there a homebrew tool maybe these days that also can recover the serial, maybe some kind of info tool?

althena77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for making that clear and no need to be sorry, as I said I doubt that I ever need it again, was just curious
wink.gif

But is there maybe an alternative for recovering the serial, maybe some kind of info tool? I think that might be useful in the future if people should have the same problem as I had in the past (when I was fortunately still under 3.2 where I could use the Pink Fish Disc).

assassda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if you have cIOS installed then you could use AnytitleDeleter to remove IOS16v512 and then install IOS16v257 straight from the Gayfish disc and it would restore function

althena77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
assassda said:
if you have cIOS installed then you could use AnytitleDeleter to remove IOS16v512 and then install IOS16v257 straight from the Gayfish disc and it would restore function

That sounds simple but I don't understand how to install IOS16v257 from the disc, I normally put a WAD on my SD and use WAD Manager. Maybe one or two more instructions?
rolleyes.gif

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
althena77 said:
assassda said:

That sounds simple but I don't understand how to install IOS16v257 from the disc, I normally put a WAD on my SD and use WAD Manager. Maybe one or two more instructions?
rolleyes.gif

Get the ISO of the DVD on your pc.
Open "Wiiscrubber" and browse to......partition 1 UPDATE / sys
In there should be the IOS your looking for, right click it and choose extract, it will extract it as a .wad for you.

You might be able to find that IOS if you google if you don't have wiiscrubber or don't know how to use it.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
This works on 4.0. As per slimmmmm, delete IOS16 v512 and install v257 manually from disc. (Or google for a wad of the IOS...)

If you have the USB loader, it runs fine since it boots under IOS249, as long as you have cIOS rev 9. Rev 10 makes it not see the SD Card, so it won't back anything up if you ever decided to use it for that purpose.

althena77

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks for all the replies, I tried deleting IOS16 with AnyTitle Deleter and installed a WAD called "IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad" I found with Google. Is this the right one?
Unfortunately the Disc still didn't boot, I get to the dark screen with the System Menu version in the button right corner of the screen )showing 4.0 (EUR) in my case) by holding Y on my NGC pad. The DVD drive seems to be busy for a little while but then gives up.
On 3.2 I used Starfall for the necessary hacks (getting to the service mode with Y and remove of the rescue-menu diagnostic disc check) now I did the same under 4.0 with StartPatch.

Is the WAD I googled maybe not the right one and are there any chances if I still extract the one from the disc? Or did I maybe miss anything else?

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Alexrose said:
Wow, another victory for upgrading to 4.0

Cough cough
Wow, you mean to say that a maintenence disk that no one outside of Nintendo is even supposed to have doesn't work any more? Oh man, System Menu 4.0 is terrible.
tongue.gif

MattMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
assassda said:

I tried this just to see if it worked and I was unable to boot the pink fish on 4.0 with IOS16v257 installed.

MattMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiLee said:
pink fish works for me through USB Launcher

Yea I know it works from the USB loader but I think it's important to get it to work from the rescue-menu on 4.0. It's was just another useful tool that helped incase of a banner brick. I hate to see it go
frown.gif
But as described in the method above (installing IOS16v257) I was unable to get it to boot where I was able to before on 3.4

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
booting rescue disk is system menu's task. Preloader has hacks to allow to boot such disk. So, i guess in 4.0 they simple blocked this disk by default, no matter have you required IOS or not.

WiiBlaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorgelig said:
booting rescue disk is system menu's task. Preloader has hacks to allow to boot such disk. So, i guess in 4.0 they simple blocked this disk by default, no matter have you required IOS or not.

actually its IOS60 and IOS16 thats causing the problem cause it works fine for me. not that i have a use for it

its a simple fix but i'm not getting into details, dont need people trying stupid things and bricking then blaming me

hdhacker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MattMan said:
Yea I know it works from the USB loader but I think it's important to get it to work from the rescue-menu on 4.0. It's was just another useful tool that helped incase of a banner brick. I hate to see it go
frown.gif
But as described in the method above (installing IOS16v257) I was unable to get it to boot where I was able to before on 3.4

I never quite understood what this disc can do for you. I know there was a lot of excitement when it came out, but I thought it turned out to be a dud?

MattMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I was on 3.4 I used the disc to unbrick my Wii. I had no preloader or anything of the sort. It saved me. Turned out to be very useful
smile.gif

MattMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBlaster said:
sorgelig said:

actually its IOS60 and IOS16 thats causing the problem cause it works fine for me. not that i have a use for it

its a simple fix but i'm not getting into details, dont need people trying stupid things and bricking then blaming me

I wouldn't mind knowing what the fix is? Is it as siimple as installing a patched IOS60 and IOS16v257?

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hdhacker said:
MattMan said:
frown.gif

I never quite understood what this disc can do for you. I know there was a lot of excitement when it came out, but I thought it turned out to be a dud?

I don't know if it was ever useful for brick recovery, but it ended up being incredibly useful if only because it gave us IOS16 v257.

MattMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
hdhacker said:
MattMan said:
frown.gif

I don't know if it was ever useful for brick recovery, but it ended up being incredibly useful if only because it gave us IOS16 v257.

As I said in my other post it was most definitely useful for unbricking (Banner Brick). When I was on 3.4 this was the only thing that saved me when I installed a bad .wad I have a special love for this disc and would like to see it working again in 4.0

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1