Hardware Pink 3DS XL is a minor hardware revision...

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just bought the better half a pink 3DS XL yesterday and I've noticed a very small improvement in the hardware design: the hinge doesn't make a snapping noise. It's completely silent as it moves into both screen positions. This made me immensely jealous as when I get home late sometimes I wake her up when I open my 3DS.

On the other hand, there seems to be at least one minor defect. When the 3DS is on, the screen backlight makes part of the shell glow near the buttons. If anyone else has a pink 3DS XL, I'd appreciate if you could confirm the same issue.

Has anyone else noticed the new hinges? Are they present in any other models?

Black ace

Trophies
XP
Country
I got a blue 3DS XL last month and it had those 'silent' hinges but after 3 weeks it begun making the snap sounds whenever it was opened. Seems like only a temporary thing

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My girlfriend has the pink/white 3DS XL as well, and it also is completely silent in the hinges. So silent to the point where I took my 3DS XL (Blue/black) to Nintendo HQ and asked about getting mine fixed, but was told the sound was normal (they still gave me a new unit anyways). Bought a Black/black 3DS XL and it also has the same "loud" hinges as my blue one.

Haven't noticed the glowing, though.

Sonia

Resident Bikini Gal
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your better half is lucky. D: I was trying to buy the same model the other day for $159.99 but someone snatched it from me before I could get all the funds for it. Phooey.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've also noticed that the circle pad is very slippy, doesn't have nearly as much grip as my Fire Emblem XL. My thumb just slides straight off it. Not sure what firmware came with it, I updated it immediately so I could take part in the Animal Crossing promotion. Here's a pic of the glowing:
lQMal5B.jpg

This is the bottom-left hand side of the screen, the glow is just next to the select button.

I got a blue 3DS XL last month and it had those 'silent' hinges but after 3 weeks it begun making the snap sounds whenever it was opened. Seems like only a temporary thing
I hope not. It's a huge improvement the way it is right now, but maybe you're right and it will start snapping soon.

Your better half is lucky. D: I was trying to buy the same model the other day for $159.99 but someone snatched it from me before I could get all the funds for it. Phooey.

That's too bad, I hope you get another chance soon. I got a great deal, I had a £30 discount code for new customers at an online catalogue store. You're damn right she's lucky, though, she has a Kindle Paperwhite arriving tomorrow too. ;-)

Sonia

Resident Bikini Gal
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's too bad, I hope you get another chance soon. I got a great deal, I had a £30 discount code for new customers at an online catalogue store. You're damn right she's lucky, though, she has a Kindle Paperwhite arriving tomorrow too. ;-)

I actually just did. It's only around five dollars more than the one that slipped through my fingers, and besides a few slight scratches on the back, it's in great condition! Now I just need to buy some screen protectors for it, lol. Oh, and it's pink and white, so when I get it, I could probably help you out. :D

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I actually just did. It's only around five dollars more than the one that slipped through my fingers, and besides a few slight scratches on the back, it's in great condition! Now I just need to buy some screen protectors for it, lol. Oh, and it's pink and white, so when I get it, I could probably help you out. :D

Ahh the one she got is the European Pink model, there's no white. They launched in June over here, I think.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It will start snapping soon i got a black 3ds xl last week it was smooth at first aswell. The snapping is better tho it lets you know its in place

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)