Hacking Pin layout of Switch's game card?

smiba

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey everyone,

I'm currently starting a project for fun where I'm going to be reverse engineering the Switch game cards, and most likely develop a re-flashable game card after I've collected enough information about its internal working (and if its even possible).

However, Switch game cards are quite expensive at the moment and I'm honestly quite afraid of breaking my beloved Zelda before I finished it.

Did anyone already made some progress and gathered the pin layout of the game cartridge?

If not, how do I open my game card without breaking the plastic and ruining it?

-Cheers

Last edited by smiba,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If a cart is too valuable to sacrifice to the cause can't you figure out the pinouts from the switch whcih is more readily pulled apart? Power, ground and any save lines should be easy enough to figure out.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

smiba

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd definitely be able to figure out some of the pins by inspecting the switch's cartridge reader itself
The most interesting part are the IO connections though, which are close to impossible to separate from each other even by checking their dataflow with my oscilloscope

I'm most interested in what kind of flash storage is being used and if there are any custom ICs that may make it harder to recreate a custom re-flashable cartridge

Maybe I could setup a small donation pool? 1 2 Switch sounds like the right victim as its probably the cheapest cartridge at the moment (~$40 second hand).
Having a donation pool would really help me deliver information to the community and possibly speed up the creation of flash cards to run homebrew.

Not sure what the rules on this forum are about donations and such, I just joined because I remembered this site being much of use back in my days with the NDS homebrew.

smiba

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah my current plan would be to buy a second hand copy of 1, 2, Switch! and use my hot air station to soften the plastic and cut it open.

I can provide:

- (Most likely) a pin out for Switch cartridges
- High resolution pictures of both sides of the PCB
- List of chips used and the values of any resistors and capacitors

I may provide:

A PoC for a Switch flash card able to run homebrew and software if the chips are identifiable

But is there an actual want for this information? I don't feel like blowing $40 on a cartridge if its just wasted haha
As a student every penny saved is appreciated

Nezztor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah my current plan would be to buy a second hand copy of 1, 2, Switch! and use my hot air station to soften the plastic and cut it open.

I can provide:

I may provide:

A PoC for a Switch flash card able to run homebrew and software if the chips are identifiable

But is there an actual want for this information? I don't feel like blowing $40 on a cartridge if its just wasted haha

All contributions are welcome

bennyman123abc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I can provide:

I may provide:

Whether or not the information is wanted right now does not matter. Someone will want the information in the future (maybe the creator of Sky3DS can step in and make a Switch flashcart with the information provided? ;))

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

I can provide:

I may provide:

Not to rain on your parade, but even if you were able to make a home made card - you'd still need to be able to run unsigned code (most likely).
If it's worth it though? Well, the information might be useful for someone in the future - and if you don't try you will never learn. So it's either $40 wasted, or $40 invested in your hacking / engineering skills. And possibly $40 invested in the future of hacking the Switch, if someone finds your findings useful.

smiba

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Alright, ordered a copy of 1, 2, Switch.

Will post results in the upcoming days.

Not to rain on your parade, but even if you were able to make a home made card - you'd still need to be able to run unsigned code (most likely).

Yeah, that's why I listed it as a PoC. I assume there is some kind of protection built in, hopefully someone else will make some progress in cracking it or hopefully there will be some more information out there about how it works and functions

rilwal

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand

The whole point of Sky3DS is that it doesn't run any unsigned code, it just emulates what a legit cart would do on an electrical level. This is why Nintendo can't patch it for existing games, and only break it occasionally by physically modifying newer carts. The latest Sky has reprogrammable firmware so even that's only temporary now.

MeAndHax

Impolite person with some modding knowledge.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Reaaally sketchy

If it would be that easy someone would have already did it... and you seem to have 10 messages?

Distrance

矢澤にこ
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
What's so sketchy about it? He already bought himself 1, 2, Switch and said he will publish his findings?

The part where he has 10 messages is sketchy. After all unless you have at least two thousand posts, you clearly cannot know anything about anything, and even less about hacking or the like.. Because everyone who ever fiddles with hacking consoles is obviously a part of GBATemp community and has thousands of posts in it.

-_-

@MeAndHax That's one of the stupidest things I've read in a while.

smileyhead

I like cute stuff.
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
Hungary
The part where he has 10 messages is sketchy. After all unless you have at least two thousand posts, you clearly cannot know anything about anything, and even less about hacking or the like.. Because everyone who ever fiddles with hacking consoles is obviously a part of GBATemp community and has thousands of posts in it.
this would not be the first time someone signed up to publish their findings. they could be a lurker for years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1