pimp my wii - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by drottning, Aug 14, 2013.

1. drottning
    OP

drottning amateur wii hacker

Newcomer
    May 30, 2013
    johto (roaming)
    i've heard some bad things and good things about pimp my wii and i just wanted some opinions on it.
    is it a good idea to use it or not?

tell me your opinion!!

2. RedCoreZero

RedCoreZero Creativity is Power

Banned
    Nov 12, 2012
    United States
    Lived in Florida
    Thug it instead.

tronic307, drottning and rooskie54 like this.
  3. ddetkowski

ddetkowski GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 15, 2009
    United States
    United States
    Many Wii's have been bricked using this program. Hence the name "brick my Wii"....

drottning likes this.
  4. rooskie54

rooskie54 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2009
    United States
    Use Modmii to generate a guide and the files you need. Pimp My Wii is a great idea with poor execution and well "brick my wii" has already been mentioned.

I wish I could like this twice. Where is Thug My Wii? I demand it.

drottning likes this.
  5. Leo Alves

Leo Alves GBAtemp Regular

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    Use Modmii!

It is the easiest and safest method.
    I almost used pimp my wii, but after hearing some Brick Stories, i changed my mind.

But with modmii was much easier, you will know everything you are installing, and putting on your wii.

_acid_ likes this.
  6. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Pimp My Wii.
    The name alone already sounds shifty.
    It's almost the same as WiiUnlocker and Homebreware and other scams ran by "James Dean"

Like others said, go with ModMii.
    You're using software written by our own Xflak and Deadly (Xflak for sure) which is tested and proven to work.

7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Learn what you are doing, don't let a tool do your work.
    You will understand better how the console is working, and what you can or can't do.

_acid_ and d.d.d. like this.
  8. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    I agree with Cyan. Anyway, an app doesn't get the nickname "Brick My Wii" from boundless success.

filfat likes this.
  9. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Mar 4, 2006
    Italy
    Switzerland
    Personally I've grown to use Modmii for everything I need, but a couple of years back I've been using Pimp My Wii extensively on multiple Wiis and I never had a single problem.
    I can understand people skepticism though.
    Better play it safe with Modmii.

10. Isaac

Isaac American

Dec 8, 2012
    United States
    Here? Right here? What about, say... over there?
    I seem to be the only person who didn't use modmii. Well, If you would like, I can link you to the guide I used.

11. rusty shackleford

rusty shackleford Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2012
    United States
    Since 4.3u every wii i modded with that firmware i used the letterbomb exploit the pimp my wii. i've done several wii's with that app and it has never caused any problems. It's pretty much fool proof just keep pressing A until its done really. The settings are preconfigured with softmods and it will install the shopping channel and every other firmware you can think of.

bostonBC likes this.
  12. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Just use ModMii. There have been many people lately and even in the past that have had problems with Pimp Brick My Wii... bricking their Wiis.

ModMii automatically generates a guide for you to follow as well.

13. JoostinOnline

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    1. It's not firmware, you clearly don't understand how the Wii works. That's probably a result of using BrickMyWii instead of learning what you are doing.
    2. BrickMyWii installs a very bad setup, and sometimes patches every single IOS, which is a bad idea as it has the potential for problems.
    3. Nothing should be done all-in-one. It's very dangerous. By no means is it fool-proof.
    4. You shouldn't be on 4.3 (which again, is just a title, not firmware) anyway.
    5. If you take a look at the code, it's a disaster. The translations aren't even done properly, so a lot of the menu doesn't make sense in some languages.

14. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    There is nothing wrong with pimp my Wii, I have used it to mod over 25 wiis for friends/family and people that paid me to do it. Not one bricked Wii using that program, if someone does brick their Wii they clearly don't know what their doing.

bostonBC likes this.
  15. Count Duckula

Count Duckula .

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    It may well work fine for you, but has caused many people issues and when you automate something you dont know where you/it went wrong.

I've never used modmii but it comes very highly recommended around here. I've modded a couple of my own and many others for friends/coworkers and always just followed the HBC,Bootmii,236, d2x, usb loader and forwarder steps from http://gwht.wikidot.com/
    Simple and as Cyan said: if you do it yourself you understand the process.

16. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    I want to pimp my Wii; Wiis are sexy... :) No, I saw this in a Youtube comment and I went lolwut? It seems some hackers have to have a little innuendo in their programming techniques...

17. JoostinOnline

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    Then you have installed an absolutely terrible setup on over 25 Wiis.

People brick because the programming is terrible, not because they don't know what they are doing. However, you don't use Brick My Wii if you know what you're doing.

Ammako likes this.
  18. drottning
    OP

drottning amateur wii hacker

Newcomer
    May 30, 2013
    johto (roaming)
    i have never used pmw and i never plan on it LOL. modmii for life. thanks for your input everybody :)

19. slingblade1170

slingblade1170 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Wrong, I keep in close touch of a majority of people that I've used pimp my wii on their Wiis to mod them and no issues at all and for the latest ones their IOSs are still up to date. There is nothing wrong with the program, also yes people do brick their Wiis when they do not know what they are doing. Which is why for inexperienced Wii hackers need a program like pimp my wii. I also have nothing bad to say about ModMii because it is a great way to keep everything in order and installed to get the Wii hacked.

If pimp my wii has caused problems for someone else then just like any other software/hardware in the world something must have gone wrong or interfered with another IOS installation.

bostonBC likes this.
  20. JoostinOnline

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    Yeah, it's called bad programming.

Sicklyboy likes this.