Pimp My Wii & GPL

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by corenting, Jan 20, 2011.

Jan 20, 2011

Pimp My Wii & GPL by corenting at 5:12 PM (2,263 Views / 0 Likes) 16 replies

1. corenting
    OP

Member corenting Insert random cool title here

France
    Hello,

I was just thinking... Pimp My Wii must be using some code from others coders (Dop-Mii, Wad Manager...).
    But, a lot of these codes are under GPL license...

But with GPL, we must publish the source code. But Pimp My Wii is not open-source...
    So, is Pimp My Wii violating some license ???

I just want some constructives posts, infos about the legality of this program...

2. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    There's no source code given, so there's no proof whether this application uses GPL code or not. Ask the author over at wii-info.

3. corenting
    OP

France
    Already done...
    But here is the discussion, on the IRC of his website (translated from french) :

4. WiiUBricker

Argentina
    Well it's his decision to release source code or not. Many people dont care about software licences, but again, there's no proof Pimp My Wii uses GPL code. He simply might have written this application from scratch by himself.

5. corenting
    OP

France
    Yes I know maybe this thread is for nothing... Maybe not...
    I just want Atilla to clarify the state of his program.

And I don't think he write all from scrath : this application includes a Wad Manager very similar to Wad Manager 1.7 and some functions similars to others homebrew : ios patching, nus download & install...

6. Donkey Plonk

Member Donkey Plonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    If he knows he is breaking "the law" then he's not gonna admit to it hence his response on irc.
    Why are you concerned?

7. corenting
    OP

France
    I'm not concerned.
    I'm just curious and I want to clarify something.

8. WiiUBricker

Argentina
    Well if you want the source that bad, you can keep try asking him nicely or if you are a badass, you can disassemble his application. If you find any GPL code, you could call him out and threaten him with the FSF.

9. corenting
    OP

France
    Good idea ! I'm posting a request on his forum right now.

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    That actual license states source needs to be made available to resulting users- most people take this and to save hassle stick it up on HTTP as a source bundle or on a SVN/CVS/some other publicly accessible revision control "server" (or indeed are quite happy to share) to but in theory at least you could say email me and I will send it back as an attachment or something to that end. Not that it really applies here as it was released to the internet at large but should your business use it self contained within a network you do not need to feed things back up the chain- again many companies will in one way or another.

Likewise it also starts us down the very odd path of what is simply a frontend to a command line program (depending on the person you find yourself speaking to the frontend or more likely launcher does not need to have source released) and what is a library (if you build/link it against a GPL library then your source might need to be released (again there are more disputes over static linking and dynamic linking)- note also many libraries can be LGPL which is another story).

Much like most licenses the GPL (even sparing version differences) is not as simple as one might imagine.

11. corenting
    OP

France
    Thank you for these informations. I'm still waiting for an answer from Attilla.

12. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    What is sure is that libogc is not under GPL so anybody can code a Wii application and keep it closed source if he wants

Now, regarding other's code, it's very difficult to prove that someone used GPL code in the first place unless it's a blatant rip-off with the same interface, same bugs, etc...

I don't have much illusion about the Pimp my Wii 's "team" because it's so much easier to simply copypaste code from other open-source applications (and they wouldn't be the firsts doing that in the Wii scene) but they could also say they simply got "inspiration" from other's code and rewrote it differently, in which case GPL does not apply.

In my opinion, this is the biggest flaw with GPL and open-source in general, anybody can take open-source code, change just a few bits then use it in their own closed-source application. Anyway, at the end, majority of people simply does not care, only ones who care are original devs who don't get any credits and a few GPL supporters :-/

13. Benjay

Member Benjay Hardstyle Addict

France
    You won't get any.
    Of course he used code from other apps , do you really think he wrote from scratch a wadmanager , a nusdownloader , an iospatcher and so on ?
    [​IMG]

But as stated by Jacobeian , there's nothing to do against this except complaining ^^

14. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    I used Pimpmywii several times, it works, it saved me a lot of head hakes and contrary to what is the public believe, it didn't brick any of the Wiis I modded.
    So what if he used bits of codes from here and there ? It's not like he's claiming he's a genius or he's making money off it, it's just a nice package that's very straight forward and easy to use.
    Why do we have to be so concerned about this whole GPL story ?
    Leave the guy alone, some people might like what he's doing and appreciate his contribution to the scene.
    Get over it.

15. Benjay

Member Benjay Hardstyle Addict

France
    That's not the problem of whether you like his app or not.

But when you use "bits of codes" from other coders , the least you can do is thank them for their work and give credits [​IMG]

PS : using Pimp won't brick your wii , for sure , but it does things behind the scene that could cause problems later.

16. Arm73

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    " He must be using other's people code " =/= " He's proved to be using other's people code "

Also he's not making money off it, not selling it, not overly promoting it.
    And I have Priiloader installed, and a nand copy, my Wii runs perfectly with all the latest cisos, what are this "things behind the scene that could cause problems later" ?

OK it would be nice to release a source code , but that is entirely up to the author.

17. corenting
    OP

France
    I've got an answer from Attila !
    He doesn't want to release the source code because unofficial versions that could be created with it will create confusion.
    I think this argument is OK, I've got my answer so... end of the story ?