XP
Country
New Zealand
iconu.png

by Attila

QUOTE said:
CHANGELOG v2.23
===============
- Updated the d2x cIOS from v4 to v6. Brings the support of "IOS Reload" games on WBFS/FAT32/NTFS from USB. You need to use an updated Configurable Usb Loader, Neogamma or Usb Loader GX (and not Wiiflow).
- Changed the detection of the wad filename for offline mode, for those titles (you need to use NUSD 1.9) :
-> Mii Channel : Changed from "Mii Channel-NUS-vX.wad" to "RVL-NigaoeNR-vX.wad"
-> Weather Channel : Changed from "Weather Channel-NUS-vX.wad" to "RVL-Weather-vX.wad"
- The default revision of the destinations' IOS in the menu "Install cIOS" is now :
-> 20/21 for the Waninkoko cIOS
-> 65535 for the Hermes cIOS
-> 21006 for the d2x cIOS
- Key pressed by mistake now aren't take in count anymore (example: Double press of the A button).
- Added the detection of new cIOS in an advanced mode, using the technique created recently which use a signature file of cIOS. (Same as Modmii).
- In the export, name of cIOS are now displayed.
- Added an export in text mode (file pimpmywii.txt at the root of the SD/USB), in addition to the CSV file.
- Added the displaying of the cIOS installed in the choice of which cIOS to install.
- The menu "Infos" is renamed "Export infos".
- Changed (temporarely ?) the background to a new made by Wolf13220 (thanks to him).

News Source & Download - We Brew Wii
Official Page & Download - Wii-Info.fr

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Gotta love this stuff.
tongue.gif

Edit : I actually prefer the older one, this update seems to take away from the general Mii edit...

Saoron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i searched around and this seems to be the latest thread I could find. I got the latest version (2.24) and wanted to try this out for the first time, but every time I try to do something, it crashes. Now I know there is an IOS 202 problem, but from the older threads I read this problem was fixed in the later versions? Or should I just remove it? Do I even need 202?

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
WiiBricker said:
techboy said:
I wouldn't advise using this app. It has gained the nickname "Brick My Wii" for a good reason. Many others will likely agree.
I disagree.

I agree that I disagree.
nyanya.gif

I think it's a great application and I used it many, many times on several Wiis ant they all run great.

Regarding the original question, I have no idea why it crashes.
There might be something wrong with your SD card, or could it be a bad installation with files missing, or even a bad download.
Did you install it yourself ?
If you did everything right, you could also try an older version and see if it boots, then trough the built in online updater, update to the latest version and see if the problem is solved

But really, everybody is raving about Modmii and turning this down, but it's really a very easy and neat application.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I knew someone would disagree because I said that...PMW is something many don't like though, and I've seen bricks on numerous occasions. Not to mention the fact that it's crash-prone.

Anyway, at the original question, IOS202 isn't really used for much anymore. Some older programs use it, but new stuff (WiiMC, etc.) doesn't need it.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Pimp My Wii is a good idea, but nothing should mess with every IOS all at once. It also does a lot of bad things like patching every single IOS and updating cIOS's like 222/223 that should stay at an earlier version.

So I definitely stand by techboy on this. Brick My Wii isn't safe.

PS: Who would have thought a user named "Wii Bricker" would support Brick My Wii? Lol.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
JoostinOnline said:
PS: Who would have thought a user named "Wii Bricker" would support Brick My Wii? Lol.
I'm not supporting Pimp My Wii, I wouldn't use it myself. I just disagreed with the opinion of a user claiming that Pimp My Wii would brick Wiis.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
JoostinOnline said:
I'm not supporting Pimp My Wii, I wouldn't use it myself. I just disagreed with the opinion of a user claiming that Pimp My Wii would brick Wiis.
It doesn't brick every Wii of course, but it does happen.

markehmus

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
guns don't kill people, people kill people

Bumper-sticker slogan of NRA supporters,
which makes the obvious point that guns normally don't go off without some kind of human intervention,
and that the real solution to violence is not in making any certain potentially lethal device unavailable,
but in changing basic human nature from violent to peaceful.
QUOTE said:

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
JoostinOnline said:
Pimp My Wii is a good idea, but nothing should mess with every IOS all at once. It also does a lot of bad things like patching every single IOS and updating cIOS's like 222/223 that should stay at an earlier version.

So I definitely stand by techboy on this. Brick My Wii isn't safe.

If you somehow manage to conquer your fear, and try to run Pimp my Wii at least once before making accusation based on other people's comment from early , buggy versions, you'll find out that there is an option for a manual installation.
Pimp my wii analyzes your Wii, and then one by one asks you which IOS would you like to modify.
A to proceed, B to skip, OK ?
If you don't need to update cIOS 222/223, then don't.
Just like when you use Modmii, you have to know what you are doing. I really don't understand what's the big deal here.

Buy the way Saoron, did you manage to get it working ?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Arm73 said:
If you somehow manage to conquer your fear, and try to run Pimp my Wii at least once before making accusation based on other people's comment from early , buggy versions, you'll find out that there is an option for a manual installation.
Pimp my wii analyzes your Wii, and then one by one asks you which IOS would you like to modify.
While there is a manual install option, many users of this app don't have any idea what they should and shouldn't install, so they install everything, assuming that it knows best. The IOS222/IOS223 updates are a good example of newer not being better.

As for the app bricking wiis, I've bricked 2 consoles with an older version. Both had Bootmii, and as such were easy to unbrick using MMM (reinstalled SM and SM IOS), but they never should have bricked in the first place.

smuddge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
love it use it on every wii i mod always have. 600+ and never a brick ever.
i guess for someone unfamiliar with what it is it could be dangerous but again i don't think you should be modding a wii or anything for that matter without through research.
just my opinion

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
techboy said:
Arm73 said:
While there is a manual install option, many users of this app don't have any idea what they should and shouldn't install, so they install everything, assuming that it knows best. The IOS222/IOS223 updates are a good example of newer not being better.

As for the app bricking wiis, I've bricked 2 consoles with an older version. Both had Bootmii, and as such were easy to unbrick using MMM (reinstalled SM and SM IOS), but they never should have bricked in the first place.

But even with the automatic installation, it still asks you whether to install or skip each and every IOS.
So how's that different from other similar application ?
If you are stupid enough to brick your Wii, you're going to brick it, no matter what application are you using at the moment ( in this case it's easy to blame pimp my wii......... )
What can I say ? Like the poster above says, people brick wiis.........

By the way , we should probably contact the author and let him know that is best to make the IOS222/IOS223 updates optional or give a little warning before proceeding, like it does for trucha signed IOS and IOS 58.
Problem solved !

Saoron

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
lol, didnt expect one question to end up like this. I guess I won't use it then, but on that, besides Modmii, is there any wii homebrew that analyses the Internals and tells me what I should update and etc?

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Saoron said:
lol, didnt expect one question to end up like this. I guess I won't use it then, but on that, besides Modmii, is there any wii homebrew that analyses the Internals and tells me what I should update and etc?
Syscheck will produce a log of what IOSes are installed, and you can look at that to figure out updates. If you don't understand it, you can post that log and one of us can look at it.

QUOTE said:
But even with the automatic installation, it still asks you whether to install or skip each and every IOS.
So how's that different from other similar application ?
What can I say ? Like the poster above says, people brick wiis.........
It's not so much that it's different than other apps (because as you said, it's not), PMW is just buggy.

And, while many bricks can be blamed on user error, PMW itself CAN brick wiis, especially if it freezes or dumps while installing the SM/SM IOS (this was how my 2 bricks occurred). I've also gotten a few non-bricking bad IOS installs from it in the several times I've tried it.

I'll leave it at this...I won't recommend something that:
A. Is buggy to the point where it can potentially brick your wii.
B. Has bricked 2 of my own wiis (both had bootmii, so they were easily unbricked, but nonetheless...)
C. Suggests updates that aren't the best idea (IOS222/223)

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Arm73 said:
If you somehow manage to conquer your fear, and try to run Pimp my Wii at least once before making accusation based on other people's comment from early , buggy versions, you'll find out that there is an option for a manual installation.I have tried it, but congrats to you for making a stupid assumption. Unless you run the manual install and tell it not to do stupid things, it will do stupid things. Besides, you talk about "earlier buggy versions" as if that is okay. The fact that there are versions buggy enough to brick a Wii is a reason to stay away from it. I doubt the author knew it would brick Wii's before releasing these "buggy versions", so I don't think you should suggest people use it when you don't know if the latest version is going to be safe or not.

Arm73 said:
If you don't need to update cIOS 222/223, then don't.There is no "if" involved. Nobody should update 222/223.

QUOTE(Arm73 @ Jul 5 2011, 07:06 PM)
Just like when you use Modmii, you have to know what you are doing.
Not really. ModMii was designed to work for people who have no idea what they are doing, lol. It is far safer.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
JoostinOnline said:
Arm73 said:
If you somehow manage to conquer your fear, and try to run Pimp my Wii at least once before making accusation based on other people's comment from early , buggy versions, you'll find out that there is an option for a manual installation.I have tried it, but congrats to you for making a stupid assumption. Unless you run the manual install and tell it not to do stupid things, it will do stupid things. Besides, you talk about "earlier buggy versions" as if that is okay. The fact that there are versions buggy enough to brick a Wii is a reason to stay away from it. I doubt the author knew it would brick Wii's before releasing these "buggy versions", so I don't think you should suggest people use it when you don't know if the latest version is going to be safe or not.

Look, I don't wanna drag this unnecessarily and make it a flame tread, I just wanna set the record straight here, OK ?
You didn't try it, stop pretending.
Or if you did, you didn't go past the main menu.
Like I said, even the automatic installation, isn't really automatic, it still prompts you to install each IOS, yes or no.
Unless you tell it to do stupid things, it won't do stupid things.
Besides , stupid things don't just happen, even if you push the A button for "yes" several times and update everything ( one by one ), nothing bad will happen. This IOS 222/223 is the only potential valid argument that you have, which at this point I'm starting to doubt myself, I better go and double check.
And like a said, instead of criticizing, you could write the author and let him know about it, then this specific problem could be solved with a simple update.
And by early, buggy releases, I mean some beta preview released a long time ago, certainly none of the public releases.
Like I said, I use it constantly on several Wiis and they all run great, am I lucky or what ( or stupid, according to you ) ?
Anyway, let's agree to disagree, and let's call it the day.

UPDATE
It also install cIOS from Waninkoko (249, 250) rev 20 and cIOS from Hermes 202/222/223/224 rev5.1. You can if you want install the cIOS from Waninkoko rev21 or cIOS d2x rev21 v6 (you'll have to install it manually from the menu "Install cIOS").
Pimp install the cMIOS from WiiGator.
This is from the readme from version 2.23, keep in mind 2.24 is already out, does this solve the problem, or do we still need to do something about 222/223 ?

bobnabob

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heard 2.28 got released... any word if this version is more stable? If not, if I was to post my syscheck log here would someone be able to tell me what I should update?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte