Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire releases on April 3, 2018

original.jpg

The beloved RPG developer, Obsidian Entertainment, has given its latest game, Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire, a release date. The game was initially crowdfunded on Fig in February 2017, and received 4.4 million dollars, 3.3 million more than their initial goal of $1,100,000. Deadfire will be releasing on PC on April 3rd of this year, and will retail physically and digitally for $49.99. There will be a deluxe edition available, which includes the soundtrack to the game, and some in-game items, while an "Obsidian Edition" will cost $74.99, and will have three expansion packs, which normally sell for $10 apiece on their own.

:arrow: Source

isoboy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I play all sorts of games from platformers to RPG's and fps like anyone else. I tried getting into Baldur's Gate 1 several times but quit. I tried getting into BG2 a few times but quit. Not because I didn't understand the mechanics of the game but because there was so much to take in. So many spells and things to do. Then I watched this dude on youtube doing a let's play and I realized I had to do what he did - forget about trying to figure things out from the start. Play it 100% like a trial and error game. Figure out things as you play and don't think about doing things the "right way". You don't need to know everything about every single spell, you just need to know the general function it does. Once I got over the scope of it and how much there is to do and how much stuff you can buy in stores and things like that I just let myself experience it bit by bit and had a wonderful time with it. I finished it at around 120 hours but didn't play the expansion. It's a massive RPG and it's got so much going for it that modern games don't. Yes, some aspects are outdated but the game excel at other things. The loot in the game is awesome with unique weapons to find and craft, they don't just drop out of the sky in chests. The isometric graphics totally hold up. The options you have for dialogue is immense. I don't care about story at all in games anymore but I just enjoyed having a lot of choices.

I encourage any RPG fan who heard so much about BG2 to really give it a few hours. Figure out how the stats work (which really isn't hard at all), start the game on easy (I did and after 5-10 hours or something I continued on normal). You get so much good gear after a while that things gets easier. CHEAT - spawn and give everyone in your party speed boots. I -despise- inventory limits in games so I cheated and gave myself like six bags for items but I can't recommend it because the engine shares some of those bags with merchants so if you spawn a bag it'll be full of items - it's belongs to an npc merchant and if you delete the things in it you delete it from the shop as well. I found ways around this but it was a little bit tricky. Those were the two things I gave myself.

It's REALLY not hard figuring out how THAC0 works. Once you understand how it works just start the game on easy and try it and figure things out as you go. There are tons of spells but you DON'T need them all. You should simply use the ones you find fun to use. Approach it that way. The game has a learning curve but once you get past it...you don't need to wait for the next RPG, you can play BG2.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For those interested: the first pillar of eternity is part of a humble bundle right now.

$50 is an awful lot of money. No thanks. The game doesn't look very unique.
What do you mean "an awful lot of money"? It's the standard rate for an AAA-title, isn't it? :unsure:

The latter is debatable. I honestly can't think of any game that's both pirate- and fantasy-themed (with perhaps a bit of Lovecraftian horror into it), but I'm probably missing a few...

Trophies
Website
harshamohite.com
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean "an awful lot of money"? It's the standard rate for an AAA-title, isn't it? :unsure:

The latter is debatable. I honestly can't think of any game that's both pirate- and fantasy-themed (with perhaps a bit of Lovecraftian horror into it), but I'm probably missing a few...
Obsidian games are worth every single penny. Fallout: New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, South Park: The Stick of Truth, etc.!

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
One of the rare games I've backed via any crowdfunding platform but easily worth it all. Obsidian is one of the rare devs I honestly support and know to have succeeded above expectations time and time again

Reactions: Nightwish and Chary

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those interested: the first pillar of eternity is part of a humble bundle right now.

A lot of money for that cheap overhead view done by many mass-produced chinese MMOs and having a really generic world besides. That price puts it in competition with some large, detailed games that are more appealing due to not being stuck at a camera angle and thus requiring more effort. Better off buying Elder Scrolls, The Secret World, or Final Fantasy XIV.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that price drop fast.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
A lot of money for that cheap overhead view done by many mass-produced chinese MMOs and having a really generic world besides. That price puts it in competition with some large, detailed games that are more appealing due to not being stuck at a camera angle and thus requiring more effort. Better off buying Elder Scrolls, The Secret World, or Final Fantasy XIV.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that price drop fast.
Okay. So you're hell-bent on games displaying ceilings. It's a preference. And a game without them takes less effort than those with... If all other things were equal. But as far as I've heard, obsidian just did that effort in story telling. Lots and lots of storytelling. :-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: how are you doing @K3Nv2