Reactions: CompSciOrBust

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well the rumour at the moment is that the author has sold the code to a company in china and funnily enough the China factories are ramping up production of the actual 2040 ic.
If this is true its possible we can still make our own. We will see
what rumors? I sure as heck haven't heard any of it from the horses mouth

FruithatMods

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My theory is that the "picofly" was never a full jailbreak in itself - it could only perform the voltage glitch after the timing parameters are found with "training" from the hwfly.
How would this scenario look like? Is it possible to somehow read back the timings from the hwfly chip once they have been found? Where are those stored? Can they be read through putty and the debug mode?

kylum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you explain for me in training glitch process with orange light, why BOOT0 need to be written a payload? If we update switch OWF, will Boot0 change and makes hwfly chip malfunction and requires to reflash the chip as @kylum said?
I was wrong by the way. The scenario I mentioned did not cause the chip needing to be reflashed. Rather reset. The newer Hwfly-nx firmware didn’t have this problem.

whisky9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
I was wrong by the way. The scenario I mentioned did not cause the chip needing to be reflashed. Rather reset. The newer Hwfly-nx firmware didn’t have this problem.
I see some people comment still have this problem with 0.7.1 and they have to retrain (link ). I have no idea what causes this problem and why hwfly chip need to write payload to Boot0.

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
My theory is that the "picofly" was never a full jailbreak in itself - it could only perform the voltage glitch after the timing parameters are found with "training" from the hwfly.
Depending on the emmc that is used in the Switch a slightly different timing might be needed.
Finding the timing when to voltage glitch is possible with the spacecraft-nx code and a simple mpu/cpu.
Hard part is the injection of the altered code after the glitch.
Post automatically merged:

Some students did some voltage glitching on StarLink devices with a RP2040.
https://github.com/KULeuven-COSIC/Starlink-FI

They seem to be using a bit more components but maybe most of that is not needed.
(I recall seeing an Amiibo emulator with an mpu and just 2 capacitors powering itself from the RFID antenna signal).

The hard part to me seem like the code injection that needs to happen at the emmc bus speed.
An RP2040 can natively interface with an emmc.
Question is how to sync the bus speed with the Switch.
Maybe this is as simple as using the CLK signal from the emmc on the Switch.

Last edited by thesjaakspoiler,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This dumped firmware for rp2040 glitch from china.
Used "picotool save all" command from linux.

Tested on Switch Lite
I don't believe you.

Last edited by binkinator,

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
This dumped firmware for rp2040 glitch from china.
Used "picotool save all" command from linux.

Tested on Switch Lite
Uhm the original devs code is apparently kbs so what chip have you dumped?

Also the firmware.bin is empty. Just 0xff?

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Korea, North
Tested on Switch Lite
Vids or it didn't happen

Uhm the original devs code is apparently kbs so what chip have you dumped?

Also the firmware.bin is empty. Just 0xff?
Ok actually tbf he does claim these chips are from China, in DMs he told me that the Chinese were independently making their own glitch chip based on the same hardware but with their own software solution.
1673944606461.png

So if what he has is that then it wouldn't match what the Pikofly dev has built.

I'm still sceptical though. I know a lot of people who deal with mod chips and if China had one working I'm fairly sure I'd be hearing about it from one of those guys first and not some random dude who showed up on GBAtemp 3 days ago.

Last edited by CompSciOrBust,

linuxares

Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Vids or it didn't happen

Ok actually tbf he does claim these chips are from China, in DMs he told me that the Chinese were independently making their own glitch chip based on the same hardware but with their own software solution.
View attachment 347836
So if what he has is that then it wouldn't match what the Pikofly dev has built.

I'm still sceptical though. I know a lot of people who deal with mod chips and if China had one working I'm fairly sure I'd be hearing about it from one of those guys first and not some random dude who showed up on GBAtemp 3 days ago.
Thats the thing. It would be over twitter atleast. Im still confused why the firmware file is blank.

I really dont want anyone to damage their hardware. So I try to analyze this.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats the thing. It would be over twitter atleast. Im still confused why the firmware file is blank.

I really dont want anyone to damage their hardware. So I try to analyze this.

D0056E28-114A-409B-B6E1-887CED09B88E.jpeg

firmware.bin has about 85k of payload in there…

138375DE-2417-45BF-B9ED-12FC02D0C8A9.png

—-snip—-

4DC4E969-69E5-420C-9C6F-49DA45CE7FF0.png

the rest is probably just FF padding of the rest of the flash space. If this was just a dump of flash space it would be huge in comparison with the bulk being a lot of empty space.

….like the Trinket payloads.

1AFD76E3-AFBF-4A85-B49A-8E562585A589.jpeg

Some idiot is going to have to take one for the team and just inject this into their switch and see what catches fire…

Mansi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Picofly has nothing to do with the glitch from the Chinese. This is a different developer.
Dump was read from the board from the Chinese as is.
Large size is due to the dump program itself.
The dump needs to be reduced in a hex editor.

The fact that I registered 3 days ago does not mean that I am a troll, I am trying to help and tell my story with rp2040 from another supplier. Believe me or not, your choice.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Picofly has nothing to do with the glitch from the Chinese. This is a different developer.
Dump was read from the board from the Chinese as is.
Large size is due to the dump program itself.
The dump needs to be reduced in a hex editor.

The fact that I registered 3 days ago does not mean that I am a troll, I am trying to help and tell my story with rp2040 from another supplier. Believe me or not, your choice.

agreed. truncated it’s only 85k. An Average firmware is around 110k. It’s in the ballpark. How did you test it? Did you just inject the firmware or did you wire it all up and put it in a rp2040 and everything?

Reactions: peteruk

Mansi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
agreed. truncated it’s only 85k. An Average firmware is around 110k. It’s in the ballpark. How did you test it? Did you just inject the firmware or did you wire it all up and put it in a rp2040 and everything?
They just sent a glitch, I switched to bootsel mode and counted through picotool. Firmware size may vary depending on code and compiler. There is a debug in hwfly, it is not in rp2040, here you save space)
Well... There are many other things in code you can remove and save memory.
Lots of nuances.

Reactions: peteruk

dragonmaster

Ancient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Where did you get it from?

Also the original pikofly is canceled since the dev doesn't want anything todo with it anymore
a pity, too much drama over it, though as i see it it will be released uncredited from a chinese company locked and not open source. scene nowadays is becoming dramatic.

• Sad
Reactions: DreedPL

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1