Pikachu GBA SP (AGS-101) Doesn't Charge?

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by Friendsxix, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Friendsxix
    OP

Friendsxix Introspective Potato

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Best Hemisphere
    So, I am the original owner of a Pikachu GBA SP, but sadly it has refused to charge for the past several years. I know the first thing that someone will suggest is checking the fuses, but that's just it -- both fuses are working, as verified by a multimeter. The nature of my charging issue is also different than most. Most people report their GBA SP's charge light turning on for a brief moment, and then turning off. In my case, however, the orange light stays on, but never turns off. The battery also never charges, no matter how long I leave it plugged in. Otherwise, the system behaves normally -- I can use a different system to charge the battery, and then swap it back in for a few hours of playtime. I've also tried charging with a different battery, so it definitely isn't the battery, either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :P

2. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    Easiest thing to do would be to swap the motherboard. They're cheap.

3. Friendsxix
    OP

Friendsxix Introspective Potato

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Best Hemisphere
    If it comes to that, but I'd rather fix what I have if at all possible. :P

4. testerfan

testerfan GBAtemp Regular

May 28, 2013
    United States
    if you don't see any signs of obvious water damage or any missing components, then most likely you need to replace Mitsumi IC (marked U3 on the board), this chip controls pretty much everything related to power management, so based on your description of the problem - I would start there