Picture Review: Recharge Station for NDS Lite

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by slandar, Jun 29, 2006.

Jun 29, 2006
  1. slandar
    OP

Newcomer slandar Member

United States
    I just got my Recharge Station in the mail from SuperUFO.com. As promised, I have taken several pictures of the docking station.

SuperUFO.com Product Link: Nintendo DS Recharge Station for NDSL

I ordered from superufo.com on 06/20/2006 and paid with PayPal. The total for the order was $12.67 USD shipped to the central United States. The recharge station itself was only $4.20 USD. My order arrived on 06/28/2006 in my mailbox.

Now for the fun stuff, the pictures.

It has a nice blue glow when the DSL is docked:
    [​IMG]
    The packaging:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The packaging was crushed at the top and bottom, but the product was in perfect shape.
    [​IMG]
    The recharge station by itself:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The recharge station with the Lite docked (not plugged in in these pictures).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With the DSL docked and plugged in (ceiling light on):
    [​IMG]
    With the DSL docked and plugged in (ceiling light off):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I always have to take apart anything that costs $4.20 USD and says 'made in china' and inspect it before I plug my toys into them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nothing too scary. I don't know how long the hot glue will hold, but it is sturdy enough for now. The wiring is clean enough and does not worry me. After all, it is just powering a single LED off the charging cable. It gets my 'I have homeowners insurance so I will use it' approval. [​IMG]

So what do I think?
    Personally, I like it. I am glad I bought it, and I will use it until something better comes along. It is cheap.. but worth the $4.20 USD.

The pictures pretty much cover all of the 'Pros', so here is a list of nit-picking 'Cons'.
    -The plug where you connect your AC adapter was difficult to connect to at first, and it is not a 'tight fit' like it is in the DSL itself.
    -The act of docking the DS itself is an art. You have to line it up perfect and it has no guides to help you. I just centered it and got lucky. It got easier to do each time, but it could be better.
    -The white casing is not as impressive as the Lite itself. The Lite of course being underpainted polycarbonate, I'm sure that would up the price of the unit to duplicate the look. But they could have used a cleaner mold and polished it up a bit during manufacturing.
    -It makes you wonder how much it actually cost to make.
    -The glow is bright and may or may not keep you up at night if you like a dark room. I will be modding it in the very near future to add a switch for the LED to turn it off when I do not want to be bothered by it.
    -Not really a big deal, but it does not come with an AC adapter. You have to provide your own (meaning you use the one that came with the DS). I plan on using a USB charging cable when it arrives from play-asia.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

If you have any questions or want more pictures, just let me know.

-Zach

Standard don't rip off my pictures and waste my bandwidth disclaimer: You will be linking to pictures of a penis if you link to these pictures from my site outside of the GBAtemp forums, just a heads up.

2. slandar
    OP

Newcomer slandar Member

United States
    Oh yeah.. the blue button releases/ejects the Lite from the dock. Very simple and It works perfect.

-Zach

3. 754boy

Banned 754boy :D

United States
  4. slandar
    OP

Newcomer slandar Member

United States
    Yes.

SuperUFO.com: Nintendo DS Recharge Station for NDS

I do not own a phat or the phat dock, so I have no idea what it is like.

-Zach

5. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    I don't see how this wouldn't keep you up at night. The LEDs on my DS lite already keep me up, I have to stick something over it. Same goes for my stereo clock.

6. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    was just about to say that.
    so bright..
    otherwise good for less than $5.00 [​IMG]

7. yuwing

Member yuwing GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    they shoudl make a better case for it...

i designed this
    [​IMG]

the left is my first prototype. But i don't like white.
    SO i made a dark grey one instead. It has a sleek elegance. Nice contrast to the white DS lite.

the fan-shaped light blue thingy across the DS lite is actually a white LED light spanning across the DS lite as it is charging. the front and back of it is reinforced with clear plastic.

8. nunofgs

Member nunofgs GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    yeah I have the same recharge station and I had to open it up and disable the LED [​IMG]

9. slandar
    OP

Newcomer slandar Member

United States
    I am debating ordering another one for that very purpose. I think I could hack together one at least as good.

-Zach

10. monkey

Member monkey GBAtemp Regular

United States
    the wiring can't be dangerous anyway, the "brick" that you plug into the wall (although i guess calling it a "brick" doesn't really make sense since the DS Lite's is so incredibly small and light) converts the high voltage AC in the wall outlet to the low-voltage DC that the DS Lite itself uses. They could stuff it full of dry shredded paper and it still wouldn't be a hazard.

11. CatScam

Member CatScam ScamaRama!

United States
    Nice pictures & good review slandar, even though I had no interest in
    getting a charger before I saw this. I may now just pick one up for the
    hell of it. [​IMG]