Picture extraction from a ISO?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by eleison, Mar 24, 2010.

Mar 24, 2010

Picture extraction from a ISO? by eleison at 2:42 PM (1,778 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. eleison
    OP

Newcomer eleison Advanced Member

Germany
    I just finished NMH2 a while ago and there were some posters in Travis appartment, wich I would kill for, to get them. Actually, i couldn't find any of them in the web. Then, I rememberd about the discussion about Riivolution and other translation projekts, in wich were files in the iso replaced and extracted. Now, in Travis apartment, the posters are unlocked piece by piece. In this case, that must mean, that there are seperate files for the wallpapers and not one textureset for the wall. I'm wondering, if there is a possibility to extract that files (I think thats the samlest problem, just using Wiiscrubber) and to convert them any how. And even if this is possible, would the result be acceptable?

Would be great if You could help me out!

2. mousex

Member mousex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
  3. eleison
    OP

Germany
    Well, I followed Your advise and also searched me throu the No More Heroes 2 Disc via Wiiscrubber. But I couldn't make any progress. There almost only files extensions like .rsl or .bin wich doesn't bring me any further, because I can't use/open or convert them. Also some Textfiles, but they arent from interest for me. A category named images or that way also don't exist. But that filed have to be anywhere, or?

4. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    Don't you have to open the .bin file and look inside?

5. eleison
    OP

Germany
    Yes. I tried it since I recogniced , that the .bin format is an old image format. But i couldn't find any tool, wich could read the content.

6. elimist

Member elimist GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The .bin might also be a compressed archive. Try extracting them with a archiver like winrar or a wii specific archiver (if one exists)

7. eleison
    OP

Germany
    Ok, guys. My back and my eyes are hurting from sitting here for hours seaching throu the web. As far as I understand it right, the .bin format is an really old archive file system, wich structure strongly depends on the creator. For this reason, there isn't a "all in one" bin extractor, expect the common image files. This means without a special tool for Wii Isos, wich can understand the way it's encrypted, ther is no way to extract the files in it. TempusC ( Fatal Frame 4 Translation project) seems to have written his own programs especilly for the files he needed for his project.

Feel free to correct me, if i'm wrong. I didn't read in deph to that thema. But I think my excursion ends here. [​IMG] At least the 2000 tool's I tested ( ISO Tools, Extraction tools, Wiitools, ect) didn't work for me.

8. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
  9. 9th_Sage

Member 9th_Sage GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    You could use Dolphin if it turns on your computer. It can dump textures as a game runs. If you get a dump of your NAND you should be able to use your own save even.

10. nIxx

Member nIxx GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    BIN files can be everything but the header of a file can be helpfull to find out what it really is otherwise you will need to find out the file structure and if it´s compressed and so on.
    Then write an own unpacker (if possible).

11. eleison
    OP

Germany
    The idea using Dolphin is great! So I can surpass the archiev problem. I testet it wirth another game and it worked. But guess what: NMH2 doessnt work for me with dolphin, even it works for all others refered to my search throgh the forums about this issue. Excuse me now, I gonna throw me out of the window...

12. eleison
    OP

Germany
    After I survived the impact from the 4. floor, i was confident as never berfore and tried it again [​IMG]
    The result: My image seems to be crappy. So I dumped the retail disc in the wii to the hd and tried it again with dolphin. This time, it worked and also the texture dump was a sucess.

Thank all of you for your effort! I#m now happy as a child before christmas [​IMG]

13. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Just because I'm curious: How big (or better, how tiny [​IMG]) is the Image?

14. Fear_the_Tubes

Newcomer Fear_the_Tubes Advanced Member

United States
    Do you mind sharing the images?

If you don't want to post them (not sure if your allowed to..) feel free to send me a PM. I'd love to have them.

15. eleison
    OP

Germany
    @Blue-K:
    The real image size is about 3,26 GB.

@Fear_the_Tubes:

While I was asked the same in another forum, I will do it for sure. But first, I've to do some image resizing and interpolation, because, like someone already said, the files are very tiny .(256x XXX in the most cases)
    But because I did somthing similar again a while ago, I'm confident that the results will be good. Anyway, I've first to capture again all textures, and search for the posters, because in my first run, weren't all textures dumped, but I stopped, because the posters I wanted were converted. If this is done, I will resize and upload them.

Then, i will post the links, or, if it isn't allowed, I will pm you. It will only take a few days. So don't thin, that i forgot you. [​IMG]

Meanwhile, someone could post here, if it's allowed to post the links, but I doubt it, since it's game content wich is licensed.

16. eleison
    OP

Germany
    Couldn't hold into me, so I did it already.

Unfourotunaly, the Results very differ in quality. Some are pretty good, others not.
    So, I decided to make 2 folders. In the first, You can find all the posters in the original .tga format. So you can play around by Your self. Also, I added some funny other stuff from his appartment I didn't recognice in the game, like a N64.
    In the second folder are the posters pumped up and in .jpeg ( didn't want to blow up the size) format.

Enjoy: http://rapidshare.com/files/368329961/NMH2...ureSet.zip.html

Theres a 10 times DL Limit. So please download it only once. But I think there aren't more then 10 people, wich are intrested in it [​IMG]

If i missed something, or YOu rember some other nice stuff, fell free to tell me.