Hacking Picking up Wii U tomorrow, few questions

jhferry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read some of the guides but it is a lot to take in. Basically I need to choose the black vs. white model (The white is less)

1) First, I assume in any condition I need to back up sysNand. This only can write to an SD card(?) and needs to be double the size. Are there any issues with specific SD cards or its just the size.
2) I want to be able to play Wii and Wii U backups. (The Brazilian Method?) Which order and how to do that I still need to read but I want to run them from a USB drive. Are WD passport drives ok? Is usb 3.0 drives a problem?
3) Next I would like to run Gamecube (Nintendont?)games followed but an archive of older systems and some Mame. (Homebrew Channel/emulator)

The reason I am spelling it out is because I dont want to do things in the wrong order. I assume before anything else, I need to do this: Kafluke 5.5.2 guide.
Then I get get confused over vWii and homebrew to run Wii games.

Finally, instead of buying a Wii U pro controller, I thought I would use a brook converter and am Xbox 360 controller. I assume emulation can all be played with a standard Wii controller?

Other than the that, I dont think there is a reason to pay more for Black unless the white one is beat up. Maybe I will even get an old FW on it. Any thoughts on the plan?

Last edited by jhferry,

lebrawurschd

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Step 1 Softmod your WiiU
Step 2 Softmod your VWIi

Step 3 Install stuff you want

For GC Games and WIIU games on the same HDD you will need a softmodded VWII with Nintendont

Traace

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Make sure you have a 32GB SD, as some Games are 20GB. :lol: USB HDD works almost any, but it gets formated to Wii U dedicated filesystem. Use WUP installer gx2 mod to install applications(games) from SD Card to NAND or USB HDD :)
Its also possible to insall them via network but only with 200-500kb/s. Thats not great.

Or use Mocha CFW Fat32 Mod to use external HDD with Fat32 just like a internal SD card. But it require to unpack games before with PC and then load them via Loadiine_GX2 on Wii U (Fat32 is still in alpha state, some freezes and bugs)

I bought a new 32GB and I had to rebuild MBR before the Wii U detected it. Set 64kb cluster size @ fat32

And ofc read the Wii U guide careful :ninja:

Good Luck, have fun :yayu:

Last edited by Traace,

jhferry

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you have a 32GB SD, as some Games are 20GB. :lol: USB HDD works almost any, but it gets formated to Wii U dedicated filesystem. Use WUP installer gx2 mod to install applications(games) from SD Card to NAND or USB HDD :)
Its also possible to insall them via network but only with 200-500kb/s. Thats not great.

Or use Mocha CFW Fat32 Mod to use external HDD with Fat32 just like a internal SD card. But it require to unpack games before with PC and then load them via Loadiine_GX2 on Wii U (Fat32 is still in alpha state, some freezes and bugs)

I bought a new 32GB and I had to rebuild MBR before the Wii U detected it. Set 64kb cluster size @ fat32

And ofc read the Wii U guide careful :ninja:

Good Luck, have fun :yayu:
So far so good, backing up Sysnand now. This may seem like a really silly question, what format do the Wii U games need to be in for the Wupinstaller to load them? For example, .iso. I have some games that are literally the folders, some in .iso and some that are the loadline extension.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far so good, backing up Sysnand now. This may seem like a really silly question, what format do the Wii U games need to be in for the Wupinstaller to load them? For example, .iso. I have some games that are literally the folders, some in .iso and some that are the loadline extension.
thanks to CreeperMario for the chart.
I wanted to do this in a "current hacking situation" guide, but I post it here for the moment.

357460-wiiu_format01_small.jpg
Legend:
  • Blue boxes represent external storage locations, such as read-only discs and the console's storage.
  • Red boxes represent files that exist in your computer/SD card
  • Green boxes represent tools.

There are 3 origin (disc, eshop, or console)
and there are 3 format (wud, encrypted or decrypted)

Each format can be converted to another (except wud, it can't be generated back from encrypted content).

What you want for loadiine is the decrypted content, the files and folders format.
If you already have the Encrypted content, you can use a program to decrypt them.
I recommend Cdecrypt (command line windows) or JNUStool (Java), you will have to provide the encrypted title key to decrypt your encrypted content and the common key too (to decrypt the encrypted title key).

pick one of the tool you want here :

Disc dumper :
- Private device (WiikeyU?)
wudump
Disc2app dumps Disc and extract to encrypted content file format directly to SD or USB!​

WUD compressors :

Wud decrypters / Disc extractors : (Requires disc key + common key)

WUD decrypter+Content decrypter (Requires disc key [+ common key])

Content decrypters (Requires title key [+ common key])
Cdecrypt (I didn't find the official v0.1 release url, website is offline, so I linked to v0.2)
JNUSTool

content encrypters (Requires common key)

NUS downloaders (Requires game's titleID [+ game's ticket])
NUSGrabber (no ticket used or generated)
JNUSTool (no ticket used or generated)
UWizard (no ticket used or generated)
uTiksDownloadHelper (use provided ticket to get NUS data)
WiiU USB Helper (get NUS data and can forge fake ticket if none provided)
FunkiiU (get NUS data and can forge fake ticket if none provided)
I probably forgot few of them here...​

NUS downloader+Content decrypter (Requires game's titleID + titleKey + common key)

Package installers:
WUP Installer (original from Crediar, not HBL compatible)
WUP Installer (HBL Version, from dimok), y mod, benoit934 mod, etc. (look on github for all the mods)
WUP Installer GX2​

File dumpers
1) - For loadiine only:
dumpiine (Launched game rpx and rpl only)
Loadiine xml dumper (launched game incomplete cos.xml and app.xml, for loadiine only)
ddd (Launched Game virtual link to Code, content and meta folder)

These tools can only dump incomplete code folder (.rpx .rpl app.xml cos.xml) from the RAM which can result in some issues.
Additionally, ddd is dumping an incomplete virtual folder provided by the console which is a merged of both game+updates together, producing a bad dump of a game which can't be repacked to encrypted format.
In most cases the dumped files are fine for e.g. loadiine or Cemu, but when you try to repack them into encrypted NUS Files, they won't work on console.
The .xml's are incomplete (for example the complete permission section in the cos.xml is missing) and unloaded rpl's are NOT dumped at all (the preload.txt isn't dumped either). A NUS downloader can be used instead to get and decrypt the complete and original files which can be repacked.
2) - individual file dumpers:
Saviine Backup/restore the launched game's savegame only. requires a computer's server running at the same time.
SaveMii Backup/restore multiple savegames slots directly from the console (no server side required). Requires Mocha CFW. Savemii mod may works with CBHC.​
3) - Full NAND Access:
WUP Server/Client
FSDumper
FT2SD
ftpiiU_everywhere

File writers:
WUP Server/Client
ftpiiU_everywhere

Reactions: Traace

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @Xdqwerty how are you?