Fullstack developer
OP
Trophies
Website
termer.net
XP
Country
United States
Greetings, tempers! When I first found out that radio on phones is picked up using a earphone cord as an antenna, I've been fascinated with what I can make pick up radio. So, I'm wondering, is it possible to pick radio up using a hacked 3DS? I don't think such homebrew exists, so I'm wondering if we have proper hardware access to pull it off.

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
in seriousness? No the 3DS doesnt have the Radio IC inside to do this, the only reason newer phones can is because its part of 90% of most used Cellular Radio IC's and its upto that manufacture and/or provider to leave it unlocked or Disable it.

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you replaced your mic with the outputs from a radio then yes, but you'd better just get a radio at that point.

The 3DS doesn't have the ability to read from the headphone jack like a phone. Nor does it have the proper hardware as mentioned above.

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Nauru
The only way to pick up radio from a 3DS would be a completely new radio module plugged into the console and then homebrew if you really wanted to control it with the 3DS rather than some buttons from the module itself.

I had this for the Nintendo DS. I prefer these ones rather than having the tuner taking over the whole console so you can still play videogames while listening to music.

plushifoxed

I wanna talk more about kawaii stuff!
Trophies
Website
roxie.nyc
XP
Country
United States
Phones that allow youto listen to FM radio over-the-air have an FM receiver built into them, usually as a side benefit of the communications chip's capabilities. On top of that, that FM receiver has to be enabled and exposed to the phone's software; if it's not, it doesn't matter how much you wish for it, you can't use it. (Most iPhones use a Qualcomm comms chip that contains an FM receiver by default, for instance, but it isn't enabled for a variety of reasons.)

As for the 3DS, I'm not quite certain if its Wi-Fi chip has anything related to FM in it, but even if it did, you'd never see it enabled by Nintendo, and homebrew to enable it is really unlikely. For the effort it would require, you could just go down to a thrift shop and pick up a decent old radio for super cheap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: lol