[Picking a Flashcart] Upgraded from NDS Lite to New 3DS, What Flashcart to use?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by MinecraftJr948, Mar 4, 2016.

1. MinecraftJr948
    OP

MinecraftJr948 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2013
    United States
    Hello guys and gals, a few weeks back, I decided to give in to the hype and order a New Nintendo 3DS (Pokemon 20th Anniversary Edition) and it just arrived. Now, I want to play some games from a flashcart, as I have been doing with my DS Lite for the past 3 or so years. Before I do something stupid like brick my 3DS, I want to be knowledgable in terms of the hardware/software incorporated with 3DS flashcarts.

1. My software version is 10.2.0-27U, which, upon closer inspection, should be eligible to homebrew. But that's not my aim.
    2. I took a look at both Gateway for 3DS and the Sky3DS+. I'm leaning towards the latter, because it apparently is "plug-and-play" compatible, which is good for my needs.
    3. I just want ROM compatibility, preferably with online in some games. I do not want homebrew.
    4. The new 3DS flashcarts are seemingly expensive, but that's understandable as the consoles are still in production. However, what is the cheapest option?
    Thanks for taking the time to read my wall of text and help out a noob. Thanks.

2. iAqua

iAqua GBAtemp Addict

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    You can get this all free, by downgrading than installing CFW.

Raylight, Quantumcat and cooroxd like this.
  3. cooroxd

cooroxd Dirty Pirate

Banned
    Aug 30, 2014
    Canada
    B.C.
    Cheapest option is don't buy a flash card at all. Buy a microsd of atleast 32gb and then start downgrading your system. Once downgraded to 9.2, install rxtools or reinand. Now your 3ds is jailbroken/modded.

4. iAqua

iAqua GBAtemp Addict

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    Also, you cant even use gateway with your current firmware.

5. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Downgrade and install CFW. If you feel overwhelmed just pay someone on these forums to do it for you. You can't use Gateway unless you downgrade anyway, and Sky3DS is incredibly limited and would cost more than sending your console to someone. Plus it would likely take longer to get your Sky3DS than sending it to someone since nearly all online flashcart websites will post from China even if they say they are located in your country.

6. cooroxd

cooroxd Dirty Pirate

Banned
    Aug 30, 2014
    Canada
    B.C.
    I can also offer you step by step assistance via skype. Also, don't update your 3ds' firmware.

7. MinecraftJr948
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2013
    United States
    From my research, I think this is going to be my plan:

1) Grab micro-SD card with high capacity

2) Transfer files required (Mainly sysUpdater and the CIA files)

3) Perform the BrowserHax exploit to launch homebrew

4) Use sysUpdate to downgrade to 9.2

After, I still need to download a custom CFW, but that should be easier. However, I have 2 more questions.

A) Do I NEED to have a high-capacity micro-SD card, or is that for convenience of being able to store many ROMs?

B) What precautions do I need to take to prevent bricking/restore if I brick?

8. squall14716

squall14716 GBAtemp Maniac

May 16, 2011
    United States
    EmuNAND will eat about 2GB from your microSD on a New 3DS, and you really want room for games. You can upgrade the microSD later, but it's a lot easier to just go with a decently sized one from the start. I wouldn't go below 32GB, personally, and the bigger the better.

9. MinecraftJr948
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2013
    United States
    Alright, I just finished downgrading my N3DS to 9.2, after some tinkering and mashing buttons. Now onto CFW installation.

10. Robert McCoy

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
    reinand is the easiest to install on new nintendo 3ds. and using menuhax you can have it auto boot to reinand from first turning on the 3ds.

11. dokgu

dokgu Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2016
    Canada
    I like what I'm seeing here. Could I also do this for my New 3DS XL 9.9.0-26U?
    At some point I do want to play both NDS and 3DS games but I don't mind holding off on the NDS games (maybe wait until CFW could play them).

12. Robert McCoy

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
    You need to downgrade with sysupdater or safesysupdater down to 9.2, and then install cfw. Do you need a link to a guide?
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-safesysupdater.409392/ <--this is the downgrader.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-setting-up-reinand-cfw-from-scratch.394806/ <---this is for installing cfw.

13. aos10

aos10 how i fotochop?

Apr 10, 2012
    Saudi Arabia
    You still need ds flash cart to play NDS games.

14. dokgu

dokgu Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2016
    Canada
    Awesome!

Now to purchase the 32GB Micro-SD card, anyone else willing to help?
    Nah, just kidding. Be getting one tomorrow. Thanks for the links! :yay3ds:

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I'm aware of that, hence I said I'm willing to wait for updates on the CFW until it can play them.

15. Robert McCoy

Robert McCoy GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2015
    United States
    [/QUOTE]

You're welcome! Also there's the normal sysupdater, which I can't get to work but I'll link you that one too just so you have two options!
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-downgrade-3ds-with-sysupdater.407924/

Edit:Okay for some reason it quoted my post in yours let me fix that

16. Noktrnl

Noktrnl Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 30, 2015
    United States
    still though, what is the best cart to use for playing ds games on a new 3ds xl? Just wait until a cfw implements?

17. MinecraftJr948
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2013
    United States
    Welp, I'm having more troubles setting up the CFW then downgrading...

When I select EmuNand9, it returns me to the homebrew launcher menu. I tried using PastaCFW, but the same thing happens.

18. iAqua

iAqua GBAtemp Addict

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    Could be franken-firmware? If that isnt working create an emunand through gateway.

19. MinecraftJr948
    OP

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2013
    United States
    Now that I think about it, my system did crash with the nintendo error screen while downgrading. That probably caused the problem.

20. iAqua

iAqua GBAtemp Addict

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Antarctica
    Yeah that's a franked firmware.