WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I managed to pick up a new PS3 Slim with 250 GB HDD from a local grocery store here. There were only 2 left rotting for 4 years unsold in the shelf. I think it is the old one (first revision of the slim) with a 65nm RSX chip. Firmware is 2.85.

Some questions:

- I bought the console for this. But I also want to play Tales of Graces F and Xillia, but these games require a firmware newer than 3.55. Is there a Gecko OS like app that blocks the updates from the discs?

- Since this is the old Slim, I am a bit concerned about how hot the PS3 can get. The 65nm graphics chip produces more heat than the newer 40nm chips found in newer PS3 Slims. More heat means a louder fan and possibly YLOD (at least I read a couple of times that people's Slims have died). So my question is how loud is the old Slim compared to the new ones and can it really have a YLOD-like death?

- Generally, how much noise does this Slim produce compared to the newest ones?

- What other differences are there between old and new Slim?

Please note: For the avoidance of doubt, I am not talking about the Super Slim here.

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just install CFW on it.
about how loud it get, my friend has one of the very first slims that came out and its quite compared to my 2nd gen 80gb(2 USB non bc) phat ps3

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does CFW bypass disc updates?
Also this isn't about the phat. It's about old Slim vs. newer Slims.
firmware 4.50 just came out so you can update to 3.55 OFW then CFW 4.46 rogero or rebug
iirc no game, as of now, need firmware over 4.46 so you will be able to play those games without worrying about them telling you to update
I don't think that CFW bypass disc updates, but the game will check if you have Firmware x.xx(CFW or OFW) that it need to play. If your firmware is = to or is higher than what the game need then you can play it.

Reactions: WiiUBricker

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im sure 4.50 is around the corner, habib put it out but i always wait for rebug. im assuming rebug will prob just put out a spoofer to fake the cfw version #.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat