Hacking Picked up a N3DS, what can i do?

SgtLunatics

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi,

So I managed to get my hands on a small New Nintendo 3DS with firmware 9.5.0-22E and i was wondering if it's possible to put cfw on it? If so, which one should i go for and is there an easy tutorial for it?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

SgtLunatics

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm it says to downgrade from 10.3, but i'm on 9.5, is it still ok to go ahead like this? I don't believe I have a way of upgrading to 10.3 either

Daidouji

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
as everyone has told you first downgrade to 9.2 then install emuNAND and do as you please... I've used reiNAND on my N3DS and it works like a charm.

Here's the two guides I've used to downgrade and emuNAND 7 3DS (4 New and 3 Old)

Downgrading <-- skip the "update to 10.3" step and just downgrade
CFW Install

Reactions: MajinCubyan

CrispyYoshi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a bit silly but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try since you just got it: I hear downgrading is more consistent if you do a clean system format.

Format (it'll want to connect to the internet, but it won't actually update) then set up menuhax as fast as you can before your internet browser gets blocked. Definitely read up a bit on downgrading before turning on the 3DS, and have the files ready on your SD card so you can act fast.

Last edited by CrispyYoshi,

Daidouji

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ah ok i see, just 1 question. What is this md5 that keeps getting mentioned? Sorry I'm not used to all these terms.
MD5 is just a hash key.... it's used to know the files you've downloaded aren't "corrupted by transfer errors" and such. It's just a way of being sure 100% that the files were correctly downloaded don't worry about it =)

treebeard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah ok i see, just 1 question. What is this md5 that keeps getting mentioned? Sorry I'm not used to all these terms.
You need to check the md5 hashes of the files to verify that they are legit and not corrupted. I believe safesysupdater does this for you. Another thing, I've heard that upgrading to 10.3 via a firmware pack leads to more success. Not sure if that's true.

Daidouji

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You need to check the md5 hashes of the files to verify that they are legit and not corrupted. I believe safesysupdater does this for you. Another thing, I've heard that upgrading to 10.3 via a firmware pack leads to more success. Not sure if that's true.
Well it depends of the console and your luck honestly.
My own console was brought from 9.5 to 10.3 and then downgraded to 9.2 on the first try.
Three new 3DS consoles friends bought came with 9.5 too and got downgraded from that firmware version on the first try without any hassle.
BUT a forth console bought by another friend FROM the SAME STORE with the same hardware as the previous three failed to downgrade more than 20 times before it downgraded correctly so I guess it's just luck and patience there :P

Last edited by Daidouji,

treebeard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it depends of the console and your luck honestly.
My own console was brought from 9.5 to 10.3 and then downgraded to 9.2 on the first try.
Three new 3DS consoles friends bought came with 9.5 too and got downgraded from that firmware version on the first try without any hassle.
BUT a forth console bought by another friend FROM the SAME STORE with the same hardware as the previous three failed to downgrade more than 20 times before it downgraded correctly so I guess it's just luck and patience there :P
I also downgraded on the first try from 10.3, I wonder why some have issues with it.

SgtLunatics

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok so I've got menuhax install and can access the homebrew menu when starting my 3ds up but i can't find the sysupdater from the menu (and i know i copied the folder to the right place). Am i missing something?

Daidouji

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ok so I've got menuhax install and can access the homebrew menu when starting my 3ds up but i can't find the sysupdater from the menu (and i know i copied the folder to the right place). Am i missing something?
That folder needs to go into the "3DS" folder... if it's not there just switch off the console and re-check the microSD again xD it happens sometimes :P

treebeard

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah you're right but now after copying it, my 3ds keeps saying it can't read the micro sd card :/

and now my computer wants to format the sd card too lol
That's very odd, I'm not sure how you managed to corrupt the card. Were you sure you removed it from your computer properly? Not while something was being written to or read from it?

ddurdle

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Take on the advice to upgrade first to 10.3 using sysupdater before downgrading to 9.2. As is clear from this thread, this has a better track history of success. Chose to skip the advice and you'll find yourself recovering to 10.5 and locking yourself from software-downgrade.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I also advise you to get on a one-one chat with someone on a messaging protocol that has done the downgrade and setup before. So they can walk you through and help you on your issues. Sounds like from your comments on not knowing how to check MD5 etc, that you're likely to misstep somewhere and have tragic results.

Reactions: MajinCubyan

SgtLunatics

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
That's very odd, I'm not sure how you managed to corrupt the card. Were you sure you removed it from your computer properly? Not while something was being written to or read from it?

I think it might have been my card reader. Anyway I've got homebrew back up again and now sysupdater and it just gets stuck at "#5 : Restoring Slabheap backup...", I assume i have to keep trying until i can downgrade? or is there something else?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: