PICA200 chip, just 200 - 400 MHz?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by WiiUBricker, Mar 29, 2011.

Mar 29, 2011
  1. WiiUBricker
    OP

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    The 3DS uses a PICA200 chip, but according to this its clock frequency is 200 - 400 Mhz. Was the 3DS not supposed to have a ~ 1GHz chip? Can someone enlighten me please?

2. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    where did you get the 1GHz idea?

the 3DS has 2 ARM Processors, 266Mhz each, which is almost 5 times the DS's CPU.
    PLUS, it has a separate GPU (and VRAM) and a lot more RAM.

3. granville

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    Both of you are kind of basing your conclusions on broad specs or fabricated ones.

First of all- the pica200 is a series of GPU's, not a single entity. That's something very few people actually seem to report. And the clock speed has very little relevance here. There was a version released in 2006 that has a base clock of 200mhz and can push around 15million polygons per second (forget the specific amount). Another version in 2008 can push 40 million polygons per second at only half that speed, 100mhz. The pica200 series has progressed since then, and it's unknown which version the 3DS has. Nowhere did it ever mention anything about 1ghz though...

Secondly, we also don't know the specific CPU the 3DS uses either. At least, not that i'm aware of. IGN reported that it was two ARM11 cpu's, but they later backed off that statement. They got it from their "insider sources", which tend to be wrong (the same sources who told them the 3DS was going to use Tegra and that the DSi would have two touch screens). The actual CPU and its clock speeds have not been announced. We know it's ARM-based, but that's all we know. Anything else is rumor until further notice.

4. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    ahaha, my source was google. i guess i got misled too. sorry bout that.
    (but at least im not believing it is a 1Ghz CPU [​IMG])

5. bigpaws

Member bigpaws Cat with da Big Paws!

United States
    who knows, it could be

its been discovered that the 3ds has 128mb of ram so ign is so wrong
    sause