OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Today, March 14th (3rd month, 14th day) is Pi day. Normally a day where nerds everywhere tell you
they exist and your math teacher makes you write stupid songs about numbers, this time there's
something gamers and hackers can appreciate as well.

This Tool-Assisted-Speedrun has FractalFusion using RAM manipulation begun via
cutting power during a save in order to write a VRAM manipulation program within
Pokemon Yellow, using nothing but button presses. He then uses this program to
manipulate the tiles on the screen to write out Pi and make dancing animations, all
in time to the music. See how many references you can spot!

icon11.gif
Source
icon11.gif
Pi Day

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I saw some of those ASM rewrite type hacks a few months back but despite my condemning the month and then day arrangement as very silly I will certainly make a passing nod of approval for that hack.

Reactions: Rydian

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
The possibilities are endless! Here's another using the same method, more or less!
(Skip to ~12:12 for uber My Little Pony hax)

motherfucker wut. >.<

...so if you can replicate the button presses and the timing, you can replicate this on a real Gameboy? MIND IS BLOWN.

Reactions: geoflcl

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
impressive..

edit: by reading the source, this caught my attention:

Second, placing the frame on which the tile appears and the frame on which the peak of a sound effect first occurs on the same frame is not guaranteed to be perceived as sync. The human brain does not work that way. From my own testing, it seems best for the frame on which the tile appears to occur 5 or 6 frames back. Results may vary by person, state of mind, and method of encoding of course.

I believe he's talking about the stack frame where the Tile (current drawing that occurs on the top, in-game), and another frame including sound stacked one eachother could possibly not be perceived as sync (like the human's brain does), and that it was best to draw a tile first, then 6 frames later run the stack (draw) that occurs on the bottom screen [so it looks almost like they're in sync]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: