Physical version of Wolfenstein: Youngblood for the Nintendo Switch may not include game cart

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Apr 8, 2019.

1. rich333

rich333 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 7, 2009
    They should include an 64gb blank SD card in there!

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That tickled my internal giggle. :lol:

Hey, remember miniDVD's? Nevr forgetti, Nintendo's storage medium spaghetti.

JavaScribe likes this.
  3. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    That's literally all you need so long as it's expensive enough for forge said unique ID. The point is to protect against casual piracy, not commercial piracy. You have to attack that through customs, courts, etc.

Right, it's not worth it. My point is there's an irony that Secure Digital with DRM is considered not secure and is treated as generic memory storage. Sony still has a good luck on their own memory storage. Nintendo is de facto using SD cards with custom DRM, it's just not something they're paying for--having users pay for the storage device is the cost cutting method. Like I said, bandwidth is cheap so they're leave it to users to redownload and rewrite their games on their own personal storage on a semi-regular basis. That's the real crux of the story and why physical copy cartridges seem doomed. Switching to SD wouldn't really fix things.

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't know how to respond to that, the writing has been on the wall for years, just look at PC gaming. Physical media will eventually just go away, or they'll be limited to small batches for collectors, there isn't much we can do about that. The objective releases like this try to achieve is to give people something to put on their shelves, which is some of the appeal of a physical copy, while simultaneously delivering the software in the cheapest method humanly possible. Unfortunately, at present the Switch only comes in one 32GB SKU, which may have been ample storage last generation, but at present it's a bit of a tight squeeze. Naturally you have the SD card slot, but that's just more ancillary spending.

5. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Ah okay, i misread what you said then :P sorry bout that

lordelan likes this.
  6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Damn it Id. 64GB flash chips aren't that expensive and there's already the Switch tax that easily covers the cost of a 32GB cartridge. Stop being cheap.

7. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    They're actually not as cheap as you might assume.

https://www.texplained.com/how-it-is-made-nintendo-switch-game-cartridge/

A full teardown of the cartridge, down to the silicon with the help of trusty nitric acid, shows that the packages are a little bit more complex than your average SD card. There are actually two components on the die, one for storage and one for security, presumably manufactured specifically to Nintendo's spec, which undoubtedly makes them more expensive than an off-the-shelf component. Just the module alone is surely a significant portion of the total price tag, and you still have to manufacture a cartridge out of it, not to mention that Nintendo's licensing fee is priced into the cost of the medium. The bigger the cartridge you use the less money you can make, and you're already making your game for a Nintendo device - Nintendo consoles have a notoriously low adoption rate of third-party content, especially if it's M-rated. It sucks, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

8. Sheimi

Sheimi A cute Vixen!

Oct 22, 2009
    United States
    Nope. Unless they ask

9. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

Mar 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    If they don't bad customer service and should be sacked

10. Beerus

Beerus Gbatemp's God Of Destruction

May 3, 2017
    Canada
    Universe 7
    This is beyond science

11. enarky

enarky owls?

GBAtemp Patron
    enarky is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 31, 2003
    Afghanistan
    Well, I don't mind not having a complete copy on cartridge, case in point: L.A. Noire. In that case the cart acts as a hardware key, anyone who has it can download the update and play the game. But leaving out the cartridge completely is just bad. If I get a physical copy I want to own something, not just a code that's tied to my account. At least I can lend L.A. Noire to a friend or sell it if I'm sick of it. Can't do that with codes once they're used.

I bought Doom, I bought Wolfenstein 2, I bought L.A. Noire. This one is going to stay on the shelves if it doesn't belong to me after I buy it.

Last edited by enarky, Apr 8, 2019
  12. RedoLane

RedoLane GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 16, 2016
    Israel
    leaving the incorrect capital I aside, I'm pretty sure id software have nothing to do with the Wolfenstein reboot(w-well, except that they allowed the devs to use their id tech engine).
    MachineGames are those who develop the reboot games, including Youngblood.

Last edited by RedoLane, Apr 8, 2019
  13. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Just increase the price of the retail version slightly. The additional cost that goes into making a 64GB cartridge vs a 32GB one surely can't be much, as the licensing fees and the additional costs of manufacture and security should be the same. Just increase the price by $5-10 if you have to. I know no one wants to hear that, but it's better than nothing.

14. dude1

dude1 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2006
    Canada
    they are, its called piracy :P

voting with your wallet and just not buying a item doesnt seem to affect AAA developers, but with piracy, they perceive that as a lost sale even for the many people that wouldn't actually buy the game regardless.

if you want to hurt AAA developers "feelz" that's the way to do it.
    not to mention, when piracy is rampant legit sale prices go down (its why a boxed copy of M$ office is $2 legit in china/russia but it's over $100 in North America and the hundreds of similar examples)

all that said, support the Devs you like and Indies that haven't lost touch with reality.

Last edited by dude1, Apr 8, 2019
  15. NicEXE

NicEXE GBAtemp Fan

Dec 6, 2009
    Cyprus
    This seems rather like a publisher stunt. Developers have nothing to do with deployment.

16. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Eum they do like recent leaks have shown that it was actually randy pitchford (Developer) that pushed the idea of borderlands 3 exclusive to Take 2 interactive (publisher) so in that regard developers can push that as much as the publisher. In a later post i was talking about Bethesda actually and not about ID software. I should have edited the main post and said publisher yeah

Last edited by kumikochan, Apr 8, 2019
  17. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Addict

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    but how much will gamestop give me in trade in credit for a used copy?:unsure::switch:

Last edited by weatMod, Apr 8, 2019
  18. Exaltys

Exaltys GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2009
    United States
    I'm not sure if this is better or worse than having a gutted card in the box but having you have to download a ton of data anyway.

19. Vinceherman

Vinceherman GBAtemp Regular

Feb 9, 2018
    United Kingdom
    imagine the poor fool (me) whom it takes almost a week to download 50gb?

this is really annoying, I seriously hope it's not true.... I love my Wolfenstein 2 and Doom on switch, this just makes me not want to buy the game... shame I was looking forward to it

wartutor likes this.
  20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

Global Moderator
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I was talking about the general cartridge price, not specifically the 64GB ones. What I do know is that the 8GB carts use different, cheaper memory and cost as much as BD-ROM's, or close enough, when the licenses are priced in. I'm pretty sure the 64GB carts were delayed to sometime in 2019, not sure if they're out yet, are there any 64GB ROM's in the wild now?