ROM Hack PhotoShopping for Picross Plus translation

Myria

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking into translating Club Nintendo Picross Plus from Japanese to English, but ran into a problem: many of the strings are in bitmaps.

How would I go about PhotoShopping these while maintaining the visual style? Is there anyone out there who would want to do this if I told you what the strings meant?

PicrossTextureExample.png

PicrossTextureExample2.png

Reactions: hippy dave

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You are generally discouraged from editing things for ROMs in a conventional graphics editor, though some tile editors/graphics viewers will allow for import and export of BMP. I tend to use crystaltile2 for this but I don't know how it fares for 3ds stuff.

The main problem is most games use palette driven images rather than straight up bitmaps and with it comes colour limitations. The biggest problem for image editors being the reliance of modern ones on blended colours and such like.
You can work around this in several ways. Some just deal with it in their head (if you are only dealing with one colour that needs changing it does not really matter what it is as long as it goes back OK), some export the colours from a tile editor (few will have bitmap import and export but many will export and import windows palettes just fine), some remake them (much like the sort it in your head then you need not have the exact shade as long as it is close enough to do the job)

The problems tend to come when gradients, shadows, highlights and such are used and you have examples of all of those in that. It is not so bad for the top image where you could just copy and paste a segment of the gradient over the text and do whatever you like otherwise. The bottom one though...

You can limit the colours used in an image as well, it tends to be called indexed mode though there might be others.
https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-image-convert-indexed.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/color-modes.html
Technically both will try to make whatever colours you want to use work with the palette you have available (or maybe dither something) but it is not a foolproof thing. I don't see a means to dodge it either (if a quick brown fox... allows you to have every character).

Myria

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are generally discouraged from editing things for ROMs in a conventional graphics editor, though some tile editors/graphics viewers will allow for import and export of BMP. I tend to use crystaltile2 for this but I don't know how it fares for 3ds stuff.

The main problem is most games use palette driven images rather than straight up bitmaps and with it comes colour limitations.

These bitmaps are in the game's RomFS as 32-bit RGBA images with lossless (LZ11) compression.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Compression is something you can handle externally. The tile editing might prove a greater challenge as I am not sure CT2 has that, indeed tileggd is probably the better bet there http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/646/ but it is lacking on the editing/import front somewhat. That said I am somewhat behind on my 3ds graphics hacking tools and general concepts so there might be a nicer tool. The pitfalls above still apply though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, I always see this dude's shorts, he sounds pretty annoying.