Photoshopping and Deviantart...

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Yumi, Jun 16, 2011.

Jun 16, 2011
  1. Yumi
    OP

Member Yumi Yo Soy Bulleta!!!

Mexico
    (i was going to put this on the gbastudio but i think this was more suitable for general topic, if im wrong, do your stuff mods! [​IMG])
    OK! i'm clueless on this, obviously since i'm asking for pointers, my little cousin that lives in the city loves to draw manga/anime sketches and she asked me if i knew how to upload them and make it looks neat, how to make the background looks neat like in the anime(or at least try) and put it on some site so that people can give her some tips. Shes only 11 and she said she wants to someday publish a manga of her own ^^'

Well I really have no clue since i dont draw(rarely) and ive been to the deviantart place which i assume will be a good place for her to upload her material but my question is, what would she need? A scanner/photoshop? or how does this work? xD Me and my uncle are chipping in to buy her own laptop so she could do her stuff and whatnot, shes been getting all A's(all 10's) in school and is a really fast learner and is always studying...i think she deserves this.

Any help would be appreciated. [​IMG]

2. pistone

Member pistone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
    Albania
    well the tools for a artist are different
    you may want a scanner or some software's for drawing
    i may suggest manga studio coz is made especially for drawing manga,also paint tool sai and gimp as they are free
    a pen-tablet would be a must you can find them cheap for 50-60$ new are cheaper for used
    hope it helped

3. Yumi
    OP

Mexico
    I shall start looking for these items.
    Thank you very much!

4. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    For a tablet, you can check the A5 Wacom (no need to be bigger. I thought A4 was needed but A5 is just fine to start).

For drawing wit graphic tablet I like using "Open Canvas" from http://www.portalgraphics.net/en/
    There is a big user community drawing manga-like pictures, they are uploading them and everyone can see both "the picture" and "the animation how the author drawn it".
    It can be interesting to learn how to make things from scratch by watcher other people doing it.

Click the picture to see the animation:
    http://www.portalgraphics.net/pg/illust/?image_id=79495
    http://www.portalgraphics.net/pg/illust/?image_id=78509

While loading the animation file in the program, you can even see the used tools.

5. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I use a small Bamboo tablet (Available here for $92, but I have the original Black model. This one is probably better.), Photoshop CS5, Illustrator CS5, and Paint Tool Sai.

To be honest though, it really does depend on your art style. I do a lot of line art, and it's really easy to do in Illustrator, as it's easy to edit each individual line and such. Photoshop is great for coloring because it works very well with Illustrator, but if you're going to do a manga/anime style image, you should look into Sai or Open Canvas. They're not hard to learn, and they work very well for that style.

For uploading, yeah - you can make a Deviantart account for free. There's a lot of great tutorials on their website, and because it's set up as a gallery, you can search around for a lot of inspiration. Additionally, people can post comments on her work - tips, critiques, etc.

If she likes drawing by hand and can't get used to the tablet (it happens - one of our members, Ignaja, can't use a tablet to save his life), you can consider either getting a touch screen enabled laptop/netbook, or skip that and just scan the images in.

6. Yumi
    OP

Mexico
    Thank you very much Cyan and Windaga. I'll look more into both and read up on the information before i purchase the materials needed and so that I can help her get started. Both the animations just wowed me. She's going to love it! ^__^

Thank you again. I really appreciate it.

7. Shorkio

Member Shorkio GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    Also if your cousin prefer more "realistic" painting/coloring etc. you should check ArtRage

8. Yumi
    OP

Mexico
    Thank you Shorkio. I'll check that out as well. [​IMG]
    She will personally look at each and decide for herself. xD

9. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States

10. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    Some potential a tablet will have. Well, perhaps a bit out of a budding artist's scope, but potential none the less.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1mhfHklIRQ[/youtube]

11. Holified 2x

Member Holified 2x GBAtemp Fan

United States