Phone Records of Journalists Seized by U.S.

air2004

Air
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/u...he-associated-press-seized-by-us.html?hp&_r=0

While congress is busy unlocking your phone, I hope this isn't what they mean.

Federal investigators secretly seized two months of phone records for reporters and editors of The Associated Press in what the news organization said Monday was a “serious interference with A.P.’s constitutional rights to gather and report the news.” The A.P. said that the Justice Department informed it on Friday that law enforcement officials had obtained the records for more than 20 telephone lines of its offices and journalists, including their home phones and cellphones. It said the records were seized without notice sometime this year.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hooray for douchebag government officials! Yay for compromised freedoms and violated rights! Land of the free, home of the brave! We're the most perfect country in the world, how can the government POSSIBLY be this corrupt? Surely, this cannot be the case!

We're far from the most perfect country, especially when we have losers in Congress who dictate right and wrong for us and we have no say. As much as I love living here, everyday I see something that makes our country less free, I weep for the future. I want to defect. What a bunch of retards, I hope they sod off

Reactions: air2004

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Since the phrase "get his/her phone records" pops up twice per episode of any crime show I've ever watched, I didn't know phone records were protected and the acquiring of same was such a big deal (as opposed to, say, wiretapping and similar).

Reactions: air2004

war2thegrave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it illegal?
It is not.
Phone records are the property of the corporation providing the service.
The phone company can choose to take legal action to deny the government access to those records,
but for the most part, the companies willingly give those up unless there is a compelling financial reward
for selling those records to a third party like facebook and google do.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not.
Phone records are the property of the corporation providing the service.
The phone company can choose to take legal action to deny the government access to those records,
but for the most part, the companies willingly give those up unless there is a compelling financial reward
for selling those records to a third party like facebook and google do.
Pretty sure you are grossly incorrect. Privacy issues and such, I'm pretty sure this has been ruled either illegal or inconstitutional at some point.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Pretty sure you are grossly incorrect. Privacy issues and such, I'm pretty sure this has been ruled either illegal or inconstitutional at some point.

[...] police don't need a warrant — which requires showing "probable cause" of a crime — to get just the numbers you called and when you called them, as well as incoming calls, from phone carriers. Instead, police can get courts to sign off on a subpoena, which only requires that the data they're after is relevant to an investigation — a lesser standard of evidence. Police can get phone records without a warrant thanks to Smith v. Maryland, a Supreme Court ruling in 1979, which found that the Constitution's Fourth Amendment protection against unreasonable search and seizure doesn't apply to a list of phone numbers.

http://www.alternet.org/8-ways-police-can-spy-you-without-warrant

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    You use paper towels too? :rofl2:
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Better keep the safe place 'safe'
    Bounty. The quicker picker upper? lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Aloe vera now with rgb
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    On a serious note, have you tested your ISP DNS answer time ?
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Last time i've checked, my ISP was like 5/6 ms slower than Cloudflare x)
    yeah. I've tried changing dns too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Check cpuid make sure ram sockets are detected
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    (and i'm fibered, 5gb shared downloads, 1gb upload)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or even in bios
    its mostly when starting firefox that it's noticible slower. Opening and loading the homepage. Tried fresh installs and all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Knowing your system specs would help
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    if you're in win 11, have you checked which graphical processor Firefox was using ?
    after it's open, its a bit slower too at loading pages, but not as noticeable as the initial startup and homepage loading
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    can make a little difference
    You mean as in hardware acceleration on or off?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Went to make cup noodles, spilled boiling water on me then the kettle decided to pop
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why I saw a kettle with wifi
    Will try that now
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    ouch @K3Nv2 hope nothing's too bad !
    xda a good site. My go to site for phone shit. :)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Females have burnt me worse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    females don't exist
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Tamales exist.
    +1
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @ZeroT21, Tamales exist. +1