Phone Records of Journalists Seized by U.S.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/u...he-associated-press-seized-by-us.html?hp&_r=0

While congress is busy unlocking your phone, I hope this isn't what they mean.

Federal investigators secretly seized two months of phone records for reporters and editors of The Associated Press in what the news organization said Monday was a “serious interference with A.P.’s constitutional rights to gather and report the news.” The A.P. said that the Justice Department informed it on Friday that law enforcement officials had obtained the records for more than 20 telephone lines of its offices and journalists, including their home phones and cellphones. It said the records were seized without notice sometime this year.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hooray for douchebag government officials! Yay for compromised freedoms and violated rights! Land of the free, home of the brave! We're the most perfect country in the world, how can the government POSSIBLY be this corrupt? Surely, this cannot be the case!

We're far from the most perfect country, especially when we have losers in Congress who dictate right and wrong for us and we have no say. As much as I love living here, everyday I see something that makes our country less free, I weep for the future. I want to defect. What a bunch of retards, I hope they sod off

Reactions: air2004

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Since the phrase "get his/her phone records" pops up twice per episode of any crime show I've ever watched, I didn't know phone records were protected and the acquiring of same was such a big deal (as opposed to, say, wiretapping and similar).

Reactions: air2004

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the phrase "get his/her phone records" pops up twice per episode of any crime show I've ever watched, I didn't know phone records were protected and the acquiring of same was such a big deal (as opposed to, say, wiretapping and similar).

Not a violation of rights at all!

war2thegrave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it illegal?
It is not.
Phone records are the property of the corporation providing the service.
The phone company can choose to take legal action to deny the government access to those records,
but for the most part, the companies willingly give those up unless there is a compelling financial reward
for selling those records to a third party like facebook and google do.

GreatZimkogway

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is not.
Phone records are the property of the corporation providing the service.
The phone company can choose to take legal action to deny the government access to those records,
but for the most part, the companies willingly give those up unless there is a compelling financial reward
for selling those records to a third party like facebook and google do.
Pretty sure you are grossly incorrect. Privacy issues and such, I'm pretty sure this has been ruled either illegal or inconstitutional at some point.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Pretty sure you are grossly incorrect. Privacy issues and such, I'm pretty sure this has been ruled either illegal or inconstitutional at some point.

[...] police don't need a warrant — which requires showing "probable cause" of a crime — to get just the numbers you called and when you called them, as well as incoming calls, from phone carriers. Instead, police can get courts to sign off on a subpoena, which only requires that the data they're after is relevant to an investigation — a lesser standard of evidence. Police can get phone records without a warrant thanks to Smith v. Maryland, a Supreme Court ruling in 1979, which found that the Constitution's Fourth Amendment protection against unreasonable search and seizure doesn't apply to a list of phone numbers.

http://www.alternet.org/8-ways-police-can-spy-you-without-warrant

Site & Scene News

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    And all the ingredients would still cost you more
  • Minox @ Minox:
    Would they though? Make a decent enough batch and eat for a few days and it'll even out
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    Depends on inflation rates like I said half a pound of ground beef here is like $4 vs 4 cans for $4 that's processed
  • Minox @ Minox:
    To make it even more economical you can add more vegetables
  • Minox @ Minox:
    That is, change the ratio of meat to vegetables
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    But still more you'd spend but whatever floats your boat
  • Minox @ Minox:
    I highly doubt that'd be the case, but maybe no need to continue this argument
  • Minox @ Minox:
    It seems like we both don't want to :P
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    No argument theirs just ways to save and we don't always think about grand totals
  • Lycanroc @ Lycanroc:
    Heya
  • Lycanroc @ Lycanroc:
    Btw I think the chatbox is broken on mobile, pressing enter does nothing, and there's no separate button to send
  • kenenthk @ kenenthk:
    You need to have the cursor at the
    start of the sentence already let Costello know about it new updates means new bugs
  • Lycanroc @ Lycanroc:
    Ah alright hahah
  • thehawksfuckingdead7 @ thehawksfuckingdead7:
    good afternoon
  • tsao @ tsao:
    guten tag bitches
  • Minox @ Minox:
    God afton
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Never would have thought Eminem would be flogging pasta.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    How the mighty have fallen.
  • Minox @ Minox:
    It's not like he's made any memorable music lately has he?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's next, a collab with Chef Boyarde?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "Mom's spaghetti" brand pasta inna can.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You will vomit.
  • Minox @ Minox:
    So many mentions of pasta in a can today
  • Minox @ Minox:
    Why just why
    Minox @ Minox: Why just why