Phone as Card Reader?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Fathead666, Dec 26, 2009.

Dec 26, 2009

Phone as Card Reader? by Fathead666 at 3:32 AM (785 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Fathead666
    OP

Newcomer Fathead666 Member

United States
    I just got a Wii and I'm trying to get Homebrew installed on it. My PC doesn't have a card reader though and I'm a little low on cash to buy one. However, my phone uses a micro SD card and when connected to the PC, the phone shows up in Windows as a removable disk and I can read/write files to the card just the same as with a card reader. FWIW, the phone is an LG Rhythm and has two options for connecting it to a PC. One option is as a USB mass storage device (which is what I'm using it as), and as a USB modem.

I've tried everything but I can't get the Wii to recognize the card so I can install the Homebrew channel. When I have the card in the Wii and I choose the SD card, the Wii says "the device in the SD slot cannot be used". The Wii is a version 3.4u. The card is a Transcend 4GB micro SDHC class 6 with and I'm using an adapter to make it into a full size SD. The card isn't locked. I've tried formatting it as FAT16 and FAT32 both with Windows and the SD Formatter app from Panasonic. I tried the SD Formatter with every configuration of options and at no time either with Windows or with the SD Formatter did I use a quick format. I always chose full format.

I also tried putting dummy files on the SD card (both in the root as well as in a subfolder) to reduce the free size to under 2GB but this didn't work either. I did this because I read that only 4.0 and up Wii's can use cards larger than 2GB. I read a tutorial that said putting dummy files on the card to bring down to under 2GB will make the Wii recognize it.

At this point I figure it's either the card or the fact that I'm using my phone as a card reader.

Any ideas or suggestions aside from going out and getting a different card and an actual reader?

Thanks.

2. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    There is no SDHC support on 3.4. Adding files to fill it won't change the hardware class.

Replace the card with a non-HC one and try again. I've used a phone as a card reader and it works fine.

3. pepxl

Member pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

United Kingdom
  4. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The official update is known to brick wiis. I know two friends with unhacked consoles who bricked using the official update. If you can, I'd stay away from it.

5. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    i suggest using a digital camera that has a (non-SDHC) SD card. Thats how i did it back in the day of the twilight hack. If you have an old digital camera laying around, try it out.