Danny Tanner

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is it just me, or is the Phoenix Wright series of games the only one that consistently makes all their characters look Japanese? Typically, at least in my eyes, characters in games look like a generic race (except for instances where a character's race is known, like Mario being Italian). Sometimes there are a few that look Asian, but most casts just look plain (whether they are anime-style graphics or otherwise).

I realized this as I was scrolling through the profiles of PW:T&T today, and I really like it. It's subtle, but each and every character is distinctly Japanese. Trying to think of another game that gave me this impression, I really couldn't. There are some (J) only games (like the recently released Koushounin DS), but none I can remember on this side of the Pacific.

And on that note, I leave you with this thought: Isn't everything on one side of the Pacific, if you just change your perspective a bit?
gba.gif

Danny Tanner

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Lolno.

Dragon Quest anyone?

dragon_quest_8_06.jpg

Doesn't look Japanese to me
wink.gif

Maybe I'm biased though, because I never really thought of Toriyama's work as Japanese looking.

EDIT: Also, don't many Dragon Quest games take place in European type settings?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bixbite said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Lolno.

Dragon Quest anyone?

dragon_quest_8_06.jpg

Doesn't look Japanese to me
wink.gif

Maybe I'm biased though, because I never really thought of Toriyama's work as Japanese looking.

Well, Ace Attorney has a lot of realistic looking Japanese characters. It is a Japanese game, after all. I wouldn't say it's completely weaboo though, it's not bad by any means, even for a guy who hates weaboos and isn't too fond of point and click adventures.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The official game of Japan would be a top rated dating sim which would be a disappointment since would make Japan look bad image wise.

Shakraka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me, it seems the exact opposite. I always have a hard time believing that the Phoenix Wright video games are actually Japanese video games, since they've been localized so well. Only the explicit Japanese characters seem to be actually Japanese to me.

Alato

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hm, I never thought phoenix wright looks very japanese. Only a few characters and outfits. Otherwise, I think they have very diverse/weird characters.

I mean, look at Armstrong.

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what you're talkin about...some of these characters don't look Japanese. Miles Edgeworth, the von Karmas, Lola.

Though its funny cause in the Japanese games, they are placed in Japan but the localized games the setting is somewhere in California.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You know what I find odd, the release of AJ coincided with Japan's announcement of the jury system being implemented which was established two years after AJ release, which could explain why the final case had a very hastily made jury which was barely hinted on in the game.

D

Deleted_171835

Shakraka said:
For me, it seems the exact opposite. I always have a hard time believing that the Phoenix Wright video games are actually Japanese video games, since they've been localized so well. Only the explicit Japanese characters seem to be actually Japanese to me.
I agree.

I expect Japanese video games to have characters that look "Japanese". And there's Mario...

toguro_max

Trophies
Website
toguro_max.sites.uol.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Bixbite said:
Is it just me, or is the Phoenix Wright series of games the only one that consistently makes all their characters look Japanese?
(...)
I realized this as I was scrolling through the profiles of PW:T&T today (...)

You know, the reason you believe this is because you were checking the Trials and Tribulations character roster, and amongst the 3 games (not counting Apollo Justice), this one has a more "Asiatic" feel, because of the plot (no, I'll not "commit" spoiling).

Danny Tanner

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
toguro_max said:
Bixbite said:
Is it just me, or is the Phoenix Wright series of games the only one that consistently makes all their characters look Japanese?
(...)
I realized this as I was scrolling through the profiles of PW:T&T today (...)

You know, the reason you believe this is because you were checking the Trials and Tribulations character roster, and amongst the 3 games (not counting Apollo Justice), this one has a more "Asiatic" feel, because of the plot (no, I'll not "commit" spoiling).

Yeah, I know what you mean here, but I wasn't meaning just for the more Asian-feeling case. I think all the core characters even look very Asian as well. Never played Apollo Justice so I can't really comment.

Revolutionize said:
QUOTE(Shakraka @ Jan 4 2010, 11:24 PM)
I agree.

I expect Japanese video games to have characters that look "Japanese". And there's Mario...

Yes, I'd expect that too, which is why it's surprising that this is the only one I can think of. Glad we can finally agree!
yay.gif

I think the localization team did an excellent job as well, the script is very on point, without being dumbed down, as some scripts tend to be.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.