ROM Hack Phoenix Wright: Dub Project

Riku Akiyama

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, I've been debating on doing this for over a year now...
Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and girls of ALL ages! I would like to have your attention!
Now that I have it!
yaynds.gif

I've been tearing apart NDS roms for quite sometime now...but one thing always puzzled me about the PW games...
The lack of voice acting.
Now I don't know if its possible, but i was wondering if it was possible to add in dubbing into an NDS rom?
I've seen many hacks that replace music with its japanese counterpart (i.e: TwEWY/Subarashiki Kono Sekai),
But not a single hack of CUSTOM audio. Well thats all I was wondering, thanks for reading.

TSPhoenix

Trophies
XP
Country
There have been hacks with custom audio, the problem is that
you can only really play a sound instead of another sound, changing the triggers for a sound is a much more extensive hack. In PW you have the music (looping) and the sound effects. Simply replacing files isn't going to let you add in voice.

SaitoKojima

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you can get this project actually running, I'd love to help out and do voice acting for a few characters.

That is, if you don't mind.

N-TG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
I want to do the old lady with the stupid weapon...
tongue.gif

Also does something like that happened before?
Because I understand replacing the already voices part with new one...but creating one from zero...
Tough...or hard...or imposible?...

Freudian Lemur

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guys, guys, you're running away already asking if you can play different characters. You can record all the voice acting you want, but it will take some serious hacking skill to add voice acting where none existed already. It's not a simple case of unpacking the ROM, putting the audio files in and going "omg, it haz vois actin nao!".

Extreme Coder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Egypt
Freudian Lemur said:
Guys, guys, you're running away already asking if you can play different characters. You can record all the voice acting you want, but it will take some serious hacking skill to add voice acting where none existed already. It's not a simple case of unpacking the ROM, putting the audio files in and going "omg, it haz vois actin nao!".
I'm pretty sure he knows that at least.

You DO know that, right?

totake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could have sworn there was custom voice acting added to Star Ocean ROM for SNES. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I may very well be), but I don't think there used to be Japanese voice acting before that. That being said, dubbing a game like phoenix wright would be a massive undertaking, containing probably hours and hours of audio. The entire game is pretty much all dialog, after all.

Still, I'm a huge fan of the series and an AVID voice actor, and would love to be involved in such a project if it did come to be. Now, I haven't been involved in any Mega Man dubs or anything like Mr. Kojima, but I've done a couple of flash movies and games in my time. My resume and voice demo are at TomaMoto.com.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems like it would be really, really hard to do. The suggestion about a PC version seems at least a tad bit more possible.

totake said:
I could have sworn there was custom voice acting added to Star Ocean ROM for SNES. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I may very well be), but I don't think there used to be Japanese voice acting before that. That being said, dubbing a game like phoenix wright would be a massive undertaking, containing probably hours and hours of audio. The entire game is pretty much all dialog, after all.

Still, I'm a huge fan of the series and an AVID voice actor, and would love to be involved in such a project if it did come to be. Now, I haven't been involved in any Mega Man dubs or anything like Mr. Kojima, but I've done a couple of flash movies and games in my time. My resume and voice demo are at TomaMoto.com.

However, if it does happen, get TomaMoto in there. Egoraptor's latest stuff with him has been amazing, as were $00pah NiN10Doh! and SMW. It's cool to see him (and possibly other VAs of the same caliber) interested.

Belzera

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It would be interesting, but you would not only have to create the audio you'd also have to make sure it was to a clean and semi-decent standard so people could hear what was being said, not to mention the hacking and coding you'd need to do to the file.

Although if you can do it, go you, I know I might enjoy it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    PotatoStatic @ PotatoStatic: Jesus. Someone really wants to give me speedy loans.