Phoenix Wright - Best way to play

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by beautifulbeast, Apr 7, 2007.

Apr 7, 2007
  1. beautifulbeast
    OP

Member beautifulbeast GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    Hi,

I've never played this game and I'm growing really curious about it, but I have some confusion with the names of the games and their place in the series, since I've heard it's not the same in the Japanese and the Western versions. Also, what is the best way to play it? I heard the first installments have english subtitles, but does it have japanese voice acting and is it any harder to follow?

In other words: wich version did you play and why?

2. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    There is no voice acting, aside from the "objection", etc.
    All of that is dubbed on the Japanese version.

AFAIK the only difference is that you have to choose English from the menu in the Japanese version.

On a side note, the upcoming forth game in the series won't have any English in the Japanese version.

I played the Japanese version of the first two, in English, mainly cause it was cheaper and I got the second before it was out over here.

3. xbman

Member xbman GBAtemp Regular

I played both (US) versions. As already mentioned, there is no real voice other then objection and a few other minor terms - otherwise everything is read so it probably doesn't make much of a difference.

4. blade85

Member blade85 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    it doesnt matter which one you play

im sure all the cases are ported anyway so they should be teh same

5. Emerson

Newcomer Emerson Advanced Member

United States
    There's no reason to play the first two games in their Japanese versions anymore unless you speak Japanese. The only other reason people played it like that was because they didn't want to wait for the game to come out in the USA. Now that both are out, get the English.

6. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    龍一成歩堂 over Phoenix Wright?

If you can't even read that, then there's no point in trying to play the Japanese version, you won't get it.

7. Sir Spanky

Member Sir Spanky GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The Japanese version does have an English translation iirc, but it is of rather poor quality and doesn't have the same cultural jokes that the american/english versions do.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    This probably counts as thread necromancy but meh.
    @Sir Spanky the English is rather spotty on the Japanese version you are right but the jokes are still there.

@beautifulbeast strictly speaking I would call the Euro/US versions localisations as the aforementioned jokes are added in and the Japanese versions definitely more reflective of Japanese humour.

9. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    I think the English translation in the Japanese games is the exact same as in the American version. Maybe they corrected a spelling mistake or two but not more.

10. Emerson

Newcomer Emerson Advanced Member

United States
    I had heard that they were actually exactly the same. There were quite a number of spelling mistakes in the final retail PW2 release anyway.