ROM Hack Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney PT-BR Translation Project (Help Wanted)

Steve_Doido

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
New progress has been made to the project!

• New, full voice acting cast;
  • Over 50% of all text translated;
  • Good chunk of the graphics already edited.
The DS version is still coming out, though our focus at the moment is the 3DS compilation.
More Information about it here. There's even a DEMO of that available (though it is now terribly outdated).

Last edited by Steve_Doido,

Steve_Doido

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You should make sure you give credit when you release this. Just letting you know. Nothing wrong with using help from the past! :D
Absolutely. Though I don't know the name of everyone who was involved with it, and considering the site is dead, I won't anytime soon. I'll just call attention to the people of that site in general.

Reactions: Jacklack3

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Especially Brazillian Portuguese. I'm Portuguese myself, but I cringe at most of that translation, and if I were to translate, you would most likely have the same reaction. I'd love to help, but we would probably be outright incompatible. Most of the puns you suggested for the names, for example, don't work at all when pronounced in the original European Portuguese way, so they'd have to be completely reworked, inevitably breaking your original intended Brazillian meaning. However, I'm sure the Brazillian community in here is hundreds of times bigger than the Portuguese one, so you're gonna have a lot more luck in your pt_BR translation than I would if I ever tried to put a team together for a pt_PT one :P

Reactions: Steve_Doido

Steve_Doido

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Especially Brazillian Portuguese. I'm Portuguese myself, but I cringe at most of that translation, and if I were to translate, you would most likely have the same reaction. I'd love to help, but we would probably be outright incompatible. Most of the puns you suggested for the names, for example, don't work at all when pronounced in the original European Portuguese way, so they'd have to be completely reworked, inevitably breaking your original intended Brazillian meaning. However, I'm sure the Brazillian community in here is hundreds of times bigger than the Portuguese one, so you're gonna have a lot more luck in your pt_BR translation than I would if I ever tried to put a team together for a pt_PT one :P
It's amazing how different both languages ended up being from each other.

Reactions: cearp

Steve_Doido

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Especially Brazillian Portuguese. I'm Portuguese myself, but I cringe at most of that translation, and if I were to translate, you would most likely have the same reaction. I'd love to help, but we would probably be outright incompatible. Most of the puns you suggested for the names, for example, don't work at all when pronounced in the original European Portuguese way, so they'd have to be completely reworked, inevitably breaking your original intended Brazillian meaning. However, I'm sure the Brazilian community in here is hundreds of times bigger than the Portuguese one, so you're gonna have a lot more luck in your pt_BR translation than I would if I ever tried to put a team together for a pt_PT one :P
We may actually work together to make two patches, of for PT-BR and another for PT-PT.

Pup313

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've not played this game in years, but based on my little memory of it, your translation seems good. Of course, the Butz pun only works if the name sticks or is translated (I think most Brazilian people would recognize the word butt).

I like Roberto Serto. It sounds good.

Maybe Eduardo Exato for Edgeworth?

I have friends in Brazil that I could probably have look at some of this if that helps.

I'll look at it more later.

Steve_Doido

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I've not played this game in years, but based on my little memory of it, your translation seems good. Of course, the Butz pun only works if the name sticks or is translated (I think most Brazilian people would recognize the word butt).

I like Roberto Serto. It sounds good.

Maybe Eduardo Exato for Edgeworth?

I have friends in Brazil that I could probably have look at some of this if that helps.

I'll look at it more later.
Thanks. I'll be constantly updating the script.

Steve_Doido

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Should I change where the game takes place? I mean, it would be weird for an American city to have so many people with Brazilian names, and it's not like the game couldn't take place here (there are a lot of japonese immigrants around, my city being founded by them), but them you have a little problem: we have no death or life sentence. In fact, independently of the time you were sentenced to, you can only stay 40 years in prison. So that's a problem. I guess there's no harm in keeping it in the U.S., though anyone who stops to think about will certainly be weirded out. Any suggestions on how to solve this issue?

Pup313

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should I change where the game takes place? I mean, it would be weird for an American city to have so many people with Brazilian names, and it's not like the game couldn't take place here (there are a lot of japonese immigrants around, my city being founded by them), but them you have a little problem: we have no death or life sentence. In fact, independently of the time you were sentenced to, you can only stay 40 years in prison. So that's a problem. I guess there's no harm in keeping it in the U.S., though anyone who stops to think about will certainly be weirded out. Any suggestions on how to solve this issue?

Hm, again, I've not played the game in years, but just how important is the life or death sentence to the plot? Could it just be changed to be 40 years in prison?

Steve_Doido

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hm, again, I've not played the game in years, but just how important is the life or death sentence to the plot? Could it just be changed to be 40 years in prison?
Not much in this game (though it is mentioned), but it really matters in the 3rd game.

Steve_Doido

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Looks like no one is willing to cooperate. Well, will at least finish the script, just case someone wants to do it in the future.

Steve_Doido

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Don't fucking translate the names for fuck sake that's cringy as fuck.
When you think about it, the english names are also cringe-worthy. I guess doing two version wouldn't hurt. Though a lot of the jokes would lose their sense. Not only that, but suggestions on names are fully open, and most natives seem to agree that translating the names is a nice option.

Je08

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Awesome project, i think we have a pretty consistent fanbase here in Brazil, which this translation may be useful and maybe even atract new players, I don't know how to insert text and all that stuff, but if you need any help with the translation, I'm in.
Anyway, I whish you good luck with the project.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night