Philippine typhoon one of the "worst in history"

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Densetsu, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Densetsu
    OP

Densetsu Pubic Ninja

Former Staff
    Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    Wouldn't YOU like to know?
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I used the "Search" function on this forum and found no results. And I'm on a really crappy connection right now with page loading times taking forever, so it's rather difficult to navigate this site with the efficiency I'm used to.

:arrow:Source

My own take on the matter

calmwaters, soulx, 324atk and 12 others like this.

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    I heard some things but I have not been watching the news. Hope it goes well for you and yours.

Normally I would link a video but I sense that would not be ideal for you.

Get two clay pots (one smaller than the other if you can) and block the holes if there are any. Plastic may work but clay is better, stone, other ceramics and more can work too though they may not conduct heat quite as well.
    In the bottom of one clay pot put some sand in.
    Put the other clay pot on top of that so you have a pot - sand - pot arrangement. Basically you want to shield the inner pot.
    Put a bit of water in the sand (make it reasonably damp, if it is properly water logged it will not work nearly as well)
    Get a towel/rag/bit of cloth and soak it in water.
    Put the towel over the top of the pots.
    It will probably not get to freezing but it will be very close, certainly enough to have a cool drink, keep something reasonably fresh for longer than sitting around otherwise. If you need to keep medicine cold it works wonders as well though depending upon how temperature controlled it needs to be may see you having to monitor it a bit, that is far more your world than mine though.

Add water as appropriate and it will work for as long as you do not break the pots.

Alas every time it has happened to me I (and the mechanics/electricians/engineers that I tend to make up a sizeable portion of friends, family and other associates) usually bust out the screwdrivers, the car batteries, the inverters and knock something together.

3. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Tacloban then:
    [​IMG]

Tacloban now:
    [​IMG]

Amazing how powerless we are against mother nature isn't it?
    Hoping that they will get through this.
    I think that this is the most powerful typhoon ever recorded after Typhoon tip.

4. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    We need to start building homes and businesses underground rather than up towards the stars.

calmwaters likes this.
  5. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
    Earthquakes say hi though.

6. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    Glad you're ok.

Having space colonies is also a good idea, don't count space out.

I remember in Armored Core 3, an entire section of the city of Layered which is underground was sealed off permanently due to a small quake. This could easily happen in reality as well since a small quake can cause part of or an underground area to cave in or at least make it super weak. Then there's another fatal flaw that the game showed that's very real, flooding, which you didn't mention there's often water in underground areas and a bad enough quake can cause leaks and eventually full on flooding.

7. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States

8. AsPika2219

AsPika2219 Pikachu going beach!

Jun 17, 2010
    Malaysia
    Cats City
    RIP.... some area in Philippines was destroyed by super Typhoon Haiyan including airport.... :(

9. chris888222

chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Oct 11, 2010
    Senegal
    I don't want to sound bad but, I am not that concerned over the destruction (I mean, I AM), but what I'm more worried are the lack of clean and sound amenities plus the looters/prisoners. I have no idea if this is true, but our *ahem* reliable state media said that escaped prisoners/looters are killing innocent people.

I'll be making a personal donation to the red cross tomorrow and hope everything goes well fast.

10. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    We got affected too. Gave us a day off with some rather heavy rain.
    I loved my day off.

11. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Mother Nature always wins in the end, every building and construction built by mankind will eventually succumb to Mother Nature (if left unmaintained).
    If Mother Nature really wants to kill humanity, they'll do it and there won't be much we can do. Think about it, so much power, so much water, so much wind, can destroy even the toughest of human's creations if it happens every day for a year or so.

Building underground seems to cost more? Also, flooding is likely very rampant in those areas too.

12. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Call me an insensitive prick all you like, but I just can't seem to muster a single fuck about any disasters that aren't close enough to affect me directly. The world's overpopulated anyways, so if a storm killed off a few thousand people of the other side of the globe from me... I couldn't care less, to be honest. :)

Duo8 likes this.
  13. Narayan

Narayan desu~

Sep 29, 2010

Yeah there are a lot of looters in the most affected areas. I heard some prisoners escaped too but not really sure.

Relief operations is still ongoing since there were a lot of debris(mostly trees) scattered on the road which was preventing vehicles to pass.
    I'm not sure if it was powerful enough to destroy those buildings in the first pic because i still saw buildings all over the news and people looting stores.

those at the second pic were probably made of wood or kind of shanty town.

Yeah there are a lot of looters in the most affected areas. I heard some prisoners escaped too but not really sure.

Relief operations is still ongoing since there were a lot of debris(mostly trees)
    I'm not sure if it was powerful enough to destroy those buildings in the first pic because i still saw buildings all over the news and people looting stores.

those at the second pic were probably made of wood or kind of shanty town.

14. AsPika2219

AsPika2219 Pikachu going beach!

Jun 17, 2010
    Malaysia
    Cats City
    Philippine map before and after typhoon Haiyan.

[​IMG]

Sound likes Tsunami attacked Sumatra on year 2004....

15. klim28

klim28 Hunter4Life

Jul 24, 2010
    LocLac village...
    Many lives lost. We have many Visayan workers in our company. All of them have their homes shattered so their families are just living under tents and debris.

Well its a force of nature so noone to blame. Maybe next time preparedness is really that important in times like that. And good thing other countries are now helping the typhoon survivors.

Tulong na. Tabang na. Tayo na.
    [​IMG]

16. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    http://www.counseling-office.com/surveys/test_psychopathy.phtml

Tonitonichopchop and EZ-Megaman like this.
  17. SolidSnake95

SolidSnake95 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    United States
    Then you'll have to worry about metoeor storms and other space disasters. Mother Nature and her wrath doesn't only exist on Earth.

18. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    because you care about the thousands of death occurring every hours all over the world, accident, poverty, suicide, homicide, etc.?
    Nothing you can do, it just happens without your knowledge, caring or not won't change it.

It's different if you know them and still don't care.

I hope densetsu if doing well, maybe helping other locals who need heath care.

Ammako likes this.
  19. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    I think there's a difference between not explicitly caring about every single person who dies around the world and being okay with innocent people dying in horrible disasters because the world is "overpopulated".

Xexyz, EZ-Megaman, Arizato and 2 others like this.
  20. calmwaters

calmwaters Cat's best friend

May 27, 2013
    United States
    happy land
    Yes, the overpopulation of the earth could be resolved by genocide, but not like this. This is a catastrophe; basically the senseless killing of people and leaving thousands more destitute because they lived near the water. Shameful, absolutely shameful. But Mother Nature doesn't control us; we control it. We've got the resources to combat the things that Mother Nature does. Lets just hope we can use those resources to repair those damages instead of being bureaucratic about it.
    San Francisco sank into the ground in the 1906 earthquake; they had to rebuild the entire city, except for one building.

21. Tom Bombadildo
    This message by Tom Bombadildo has been removed from public view by Cyan, Nov 16, 2013, Reason: video comment outside eof.
    Nov 16, 2013
  22. calmwaters
    This message by calmwaters has been removed from public view by Cyan, Nov 16, 2013, Reason: video comment outside eof.
    Nov 16, 2013