Phil Spencer hints at lower priced Xbox hardware, xCloud streaming sticks and "Game Pass Platinum"

Project-xCloud.jpg

As Xbox prepares for the launch of its next-gen consoles, the company might already have additional console hardware in the works to be released in the near future. Speaking to Stratechery, head of Xbox, Phil Spencer teased this possibility and more.

“I think you’re going to see lower priced hardware as part of our ecosystem when you think about streaming sticks and other things that somebody might want to just go plug into their TV and go play via xCloud,” Phil Spencer said. “You could imagine us even having something that we just included in the Game Pass subscription that gave you an ability to stream xCloud games to your television and buying the controller.”

In the same interview, Phil Spencer teased the idea of an “Xbox Game Pass Platinum” tier which guarantees access to new Xbox hardware.

As The Verge noted, this being Spencer’s first public mention of streaming TV sticks for xCloud implies that such devices might soon be released.

What do you think of the idea? Would you get a streaming stick for xCloud?

:arrow: SOURCE

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I’m gonna go out screaming and kicking in this whole steaming thing with gaming. As a person to whom preservation is incredibly important, I hate the concept with a passion. I already avoid digital copies of games wherever and whenever I can, but I’d take digital downloads over some random server you have to hope is up and perfectly functional, not to mention not under too much strain to ensure a half decent gaming experience..

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Personally, I’m gonna go out screaming and kicking in this whole steaming thing with gaming. As a person to whom preservation is incredibly important, I hate the concept with a passion. I already avoid digital copies of games wherever and whenever I can, but I’d take digital downloads over some random server you have to hope is up and perfectly functional, not to mention not under too much strain to ensure a half decent gaming experience..

I rather like the Xcloud approach, i.e. it’s an optional bonus included in the subscription.

I’m not fond of streaming, but if it’s an extra I’ll give it a shot.

StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I rather like the Xcloud approach, i.e. it’s an optional bonus included in the subscription.

I’m not fond of streaming, but if it’s an extra I’ll give it a shot.

I do like that concept, having it be an optional thing that you can choose. I’m still not gonna go for it, though. Not to mention how it makes me uncomfortable that they could be using that as a way to "Ease people into it", a concept I'm kind of upset with.

Last edited by StrayGuitarist,

NeroAngelo

Clueless Importer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
Sadly it seems to be the future of gaming, as much as I hate the idea and prefer offline ownership.
to be fair to MS, their infrastructure is top-notch, and the cloudx service is actually quite good, unlike other services *cough* Stadia *cough*

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Game streaming services like this are akin to video rental stores (or more recently video-on-demand). All the same drawbacks (you don't own the game/movie, if the store/service closes you're boned, and so on), but they offer access to a library of titles that you can rent and consume for a short while, and the business model has been doing fine. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but there are a lot of people who are happy with such services.

Now the lag and connectivity issues on the other hand...

Kraken_X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
this just make owning an xbox even more useless, when they will let you pay a tiny amount and use a controller on smart tv to play all their exclusives, imo they are trying to kill the consoles so they can make money with only subscriptions, i bet this is the last xbox generation for sure console wise.

they will become a service.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Game streaming services like this are akin to video rental stores (or more recently video-on-demand). All the same drawbacks (you don't own the game/movie, if the store/service closes you're boned, and so on), but they offer access to a library of titles that you can rent and consume for a short while, and the business model has been doing fine. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but there are a lot of people who are happy with such services.

Now the lag and connectivity issues on the other hand...

Except that Blockbuster didn't depend on the Internet to be functional, let alone good.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like this idea. People hate on streaming, but like it or not, it is becoming mainstream. I prefer it as a supplement to plain ol hardware rather than a replacement, but times are changing. You either change with them or get left behind.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like this idea. People hate on streaming, but like it or not, it is becoming mainstream. I prefer it as a supplement to plain ol hardware rather than a replacement, but times are changing. You either change with them or get left behind.

Good thing backlogs exist and are usually always available.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: chartube12

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
major nelson was sort of like xbox's Reggie, whom most people liked as a spokesman for the company. the last thing I remember him from was when he was showing off the adjustable dpad for the 360 controller, which btw was a piece of shit. I don't remember him at all for the xbone.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
major nelson was sort of like xbox's Reggie, whom most people liked as a spokesman for the company. the last thing I remember him from was when he was showing off the adjustable dpad for the 360 controller, which btw was a piece of shit. I don't remember him at all for the xbone.
The last I remember him was when they dug out all those ET cartridges.

Reactions: godreborn

wiindsurf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I work in the cloud industry and the cloud gaming concept blows my mind in the worst possible way.
They are basically saying they are happy to absorve 300+ watts of power consumption and heat generation for every single gaming session in the world, just because they can? This is many more orders of magnitude the power consumption per user of existing non-gaming cloud systems - for simple comparisons purposes, these same 300 watts could otherwise serve 10 to 100k users, if not more, on your average traditional non-gaming cloud system.
Soon these companies will be buying most of the world's energy resources, holding all of our intellectual property, and controlling all aspects of your social life, just because they can!
This concept should be made illegal, I'm not joking... there must be caps on how big and wide these corporate blobs are allowed to grow.
This is insane...

pikpol

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I work in the cloud industry and the cloud gaming concept blows my mind in the worst possible way.
They are basically saying they are happy to absorve 300+ watts of power consumption and heat generation for every single gaming session in the world, just because they can? This is many more orders of magnitude the power consumption per user of existing non-gaming cloud systems - for simple comparisons purposes, these same 300 watts could otherwise serve 10 to 100k users, if not more, on your average traditional non-gaming cloud system.
Soon these companies will be buying most of the world's energy resources, holding all of our intellectual property, and controlling all aspects of your social life, just because they can!
This concept should be made illegal, I'm not joking... there must be caps on how big and wide these corporate blobs are allowed to grow.
This is insane...
They actually bought 100% of the energy produced from a solarpark here in the Netherlands instead of the energy going to the local houses.
Only to power data centres. Google has done the same thing.

Apart from that, I think they already said something about Samsung TVs. So I think he is just saying here that xCloud is coming to Samsung TVs and they probably release a stick for those without a Samsung TV.
So when you have a Samsung Smart TV, you only need a controller to play.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over