Phantom Kingdom Portable: English Translation

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by ChepChep, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Star-scream

Star-scream GBAtemp Regular

Mar 3, 2013

you could always ask skyblade?

2. SkyBladeCloud

SkyBladeCloud GBAtemp Fan

Oct 7, 2010
    Well, that IMY file clearly has a color palette right at the beginning, and a perfect size of 320*320 pixels... But... kinda looks like the pixels are interlaced somehow, so one would have to look at the game's execution to figure it out. Btw, is the PS2 version of the same image? That one has a similar layout (using PS2 palette format), a a size of 320*224. It uses no weird interlacing so it can be decoded, no sweat:

[​IMG]

The thing is that both color palettes kinda look the same, and even though the image size would be different, file names suggest they should be similarly looking graphics:

~Sky

zeromancer91 and Star-scream like this.
  3. ChepChep
    OP

ChepChep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 9, 2011
    United States
    Yes as far as I can tell the PS2 image is the exact same image as the PSP IMY one.

4. heatblade12

heatblade12 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2013
    Canada
    who are all the people on the team working on this awsome project?

5. ChepChep
    OP

Feb 9, 2011
    United States
    Right now there is just two of us: Ignis00 and myself

6. Shinintendo

Shinintendo GBAtemp Fan

Sep 10, 2009
    Iceland
    Well at least most of the game translation is extracted from the PS2 version no? small comfort.

7. Gaming4Ever

Gaming4Ever Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2014
    United States
    Seriously cant wait for this keep up the good work ChepChep & Ignus00 :yaypsp:

8. Star-scream

Star-scream GBAtemp Regular

Mar 3, 2013
    Hey just wonder if there are any updates where you able to fix the image size?

9. ChepChep
    OP

Feb 9, 2011
    United States
    I have had no luck with the IMY format.

The IMY files I sent are completely stumping me since I have found some other images that I know are the exact same size: 480 x 272 and have the same header but have different file size. My guess is the file is both interlaced and compressed in some way.

10. heatblade12

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2013
    Canada
    educate me a little, does it matter that the file size is a bit bigger if the image is the exact same size? what happens if you alter the size of the file?

11. ChepChep
    OP

Feb 9, 2011
    United States
    So you can have an image file with the same header but different file size...

If you alter the file size the image causes the PSP to crash when it tries to load the image.

I have included a few more IMY files here
    *removed link*

12. heatblade12

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2013
    Canada
    so instead of focusing on an item that gets you stumped, take it like a collage exam, move to the next problem, (go for easier stuff like translating the menus and attacks!) :D
    then later we focus on the stuff that stumps our fragile brains.

13. ChepChep
    OP

Feb 9, 2011
    United States
    Sounds good....

Linka likes this.
  14. Linka

Linka GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2013
    United States
    Yeah, I agree. When you're stuck with stuff like this, it's better to focus on something else. Sometimes that lets you go back to the older thing and figure it out more easily.

Looking forward to seeing this translated though! I suddenly got the recent itch to play this, but I guess I should refocus that itch on LPR again, ahahah.

15. ChepChep
    OP

Feb 9, 2011
    United States
    I understand the itch to play PKP. I am currently play testing the patch with the google translated menus and been much fun. Quite a few fatal bugs / crashes but so far I have been able to fix every single one I have encountered. Most bugs deals with the stupid "A" bug where we missed converting some to SHift-JIS characters.

Star-scream, Randqalan and Linka like this.
  16. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I'm sorry, you shouldn't provide files from the game here.
    users have to extract the files from their own UMD/ISO.

I understand that you want users to help decipher it, even if they don't own the game, but it's copyrighted files.

It will be the same with including the PS2 audio files in your patch.
    - the patch will be very big,
    - The patch will contains copyrighted files and will be illegal.

If users have the PS2 version, they can extract the files themselves to inject back in PSP version.
    It will be harder to patch than a single delta .patch, but it's safer on legal level.

Using PS2 english text version is already questionable as translation is owned by the translator/NIS.
    But other, older project already based their translation on existing text from other consoles without legal issue, so I guess it's fine.

as for the question about favorite games, I like NIS/Nippon ichi games but never had time to complete one.
    I own only LPR, Rhapsody and Little princess (waiting for a translation patch!). I liked a lot Rhapsody. I hope I could play Disgaea series next.

17. ChepChep
    OP

Feb 9, 2011
    United States
    Cyan,

Completely slipped my mind... I will take the files down.

The files are gone now...

-ChepChep

18. Linka

Linka GBAtemp Regular

Sep 13, 2013
    United States
    So probably won't be an "official" English audio patch? I guess that's fair enough.

I think using a base translation is fine-- I imagine even if someone went through all of the work to retranslate it from scratch, it'd end up similar enough regardless that there'd be no point. Besides, with things like LPR, the script had to change anyway to fit the restraints of the text.

Also, Cyan, you should definitely try a Disgaea game! Disgaea 1's kinda dated (if important if you ever look at Disgaea D2), but I would recommend starting there first-- namely the PSP version if you can. I really outright recommend that with any NIS game you can see, get the rereleased handheld port instead. Those are basically the "perfect" versions.

Cyan likes this.
  19. heatblade12

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2013
    Canada
    that kinda sucks that english audio is out of the question unless we rip our own ps2 cd's
    dont let that discourage you chep chep! we still waiting for the epic patch.

im doing my best playing PKP with 0 japanese skills. XD i have the habbit of trying to heal a friendly unit, then i kill em with a book flare or something :/ XD dont know the attacks

20. Shinintendo

Shinintendo GBAtemp Fan

Sep 10, 2009
    Iceland
    If you can write small tutorial how to rip the voices from the ps2 iso
    I don't think people would mind so much, so long as they get the best possible version.
    To get extra features will be cool (like they do with Digimon World Redigitize, adding more evolutions into the game)