Hacking Phantom Hourglass Limited Edition DS + M3DS Real?

zleilndka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my M3DS Real in the mail and just my luck, it doesn't work. Now I just need to figure out why it doesn't...

~Update: Sometimes NDS won't even turn on when the M3DS Real card is in.

I have the Limited Edition Phantom Hourglass bundle:

NEWS-11381-889d229a813207842e0a674a3bebf0f9.jpg

When I put in the card it says "There is no DS card inserted". I have the "SYSTEM"
firmware (?) files on the microSD already. My microSD fits in the M3DS Real cart fine and the cart fits 'pretty well' into the DS, but it still isn't read.

Now I'm wondering:

1. Is my M3DS Real cart dead?

2. Is M3DS Real not compatible with this version of the DS Lite?

3. I'm doing it wrong?

~Any help is appreciated.

~~:::UPDATE:::~~

Ok, after hearing about the 'contacts' that may not even be touching the receptacles (?) inside the DS slot. Something very bizarre happened to me; after inserting and reinserting the cartridge over and over--one time it WORKED, though it still doesn't work all the time. The paper didn't work earlier, so I gave up on the idea the contacts not touching. I think my cartridge makes contact just fine, but the alignment of those contacts might be off. Could some of the contacts touching and some of them missing the receptacles be causing all of my problems? I'm guessing this might be caused by the design of my particular version of the M3DS:

7x290md.png

Thanks to everyone who have helped thus far. I still need to figure out a few things, but at least I can get it to work every once and a while.

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Did you format the MicroSD?

Is the MicroSD loose in its slot?

Also, you need to have every file on the root of our MicroSD, not just the SYSTEM folder.

Digital1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strange problem! It looks like you are doing it right from the screenshots. I would definitely test your M3 DS Real in a friends DS if possible. Sounds like you have a bad flashcart so far.

zleilndka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone (I have tried most of them). I've been browsing the forums and it seems to resemble the posts here (Azam7's problem):

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=65568&st=15

So it could be faulty contacts? Would I be better off trying to take it apart? Though it sounds like it breaks the casing if you do that. Or just emailing them about it to get a replacement? I just don't want to void any warranty that I have.

*edit*
~Yeah it seems to resemble that problem a lot OSW.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
taking it apart is a bit annoying, it will probably mess up the edge of the sticker a bit as you must peel it back to undo a screw before flipping up all the clips.

what i recommend is, before sending it back or doing any DIY fixes
tongue.gif
is this way i test for connection issues.

Hold down the cart fully into the DS (further than normal clicked in position) while turning the DS on. I've never had a cart failed to get recognised that way (even those with connection issues).

Also, when you say the DS sometimes doesnt even turn on, do you mean it freezes on the health and safety screen, or actually doens't show any signs of power at all?

zleilndka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
taking it apart is a bit annoying, it will probably mess up the edge of the sticker a bit as you must peel it back to undo a screw before flipping up all the clips.

what i recommend is, before sending it back or doing any DIY fixes
tongue.gif
is this way i test for connection issues.

Hold down the cart fully into the DS (further than normal clicked in position) while turning the DS on. I've never had a cart failed to get recognised that way (even those with connection issues).

Also, when you say the DS sometimes doesnt even turn on, do you mean it freezes on the health and safety screen, or actually doens't show any signs of power at all?

No power at all. I flip up the power button, the DS doesn't come on at all; this happens about 70%-ish of the time when I put it in the DS, the rest of the time I get the normal DS menu and the M3DS isn't even detected. Then when I put in Phantom Hourglass, everything is fine.

*edit*
~Oh an when I hold the cart all the way down further than normal, there is no power at all when I hit the switch.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
sounds buggered to me.

if i remember correctly (im not quite sure), the M3 will power off your DS if you insert it while the DS is still on. Maybe a hardware issue related to that is causing it.

Try and get a replacement if you can.

zleilndka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, this is going to sound very weird, but when I push the M3DS Real cartridge in (facing the back of the DS) from the very left corner, it works every time. Push it in applying pressure to the middle of the cartridge I get the "There is no DS Card inserted" error. Push it in from the very right edge of the card and it doesn't turn on at all.

~Again, thanks to every one who helped me
happy.gif
. I can get it working every time now. Though I'm not sure if I should get a replacement since something is clearly faulty.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Not all of the pins are making contact. Try putting some tape on the front end of the M3 for a more snug fit and more reliable connection.

zleilndka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried my M3DS Real in my friend's NDS today, it works perfectly in his Black DS. I tried his R4 in mine and it worked perfectly without having to put it in any special way. So now I have no idea why this is happening... I still have to put in the M3 in a funky way for it to work on mine. I guess the card is fine, but something weird might be happening on my DS.

~Cloverfield, it's alright. Blair Witch-ish.

misanthrope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It appears to be messed up indeed yes. I have similar problems and I suspect is not doing good contact: Whenever I remove it and reinsert it most of the times the DS ( normal, white DS lite ) will tell me that no card is inserted on slot 1. Other times it wont turn on at all, no light turning on nothing, turns on fine as soon as I remove the M3DS real.

After anywhere from 2 or 3 to 10 or 15 tries it turns on normally. Now im gonna try the tape thing otherwise it might have to leave it for good on the ds and only remove the microsd: not quite an ideal situation.

zleilndka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It appears to be messed up indeed yes. I have similar problems and I suspect is not doing good contact: Whenever I remove it and reinsert it most of the times the DS ( normal, white DS lite ) will tell me that no card is inserted on slot 1. Other times it wont turn on at all, no light turning on nothing, turns on fine as soon as I remove the M3DS real.

After anywhere from 2 or 3 to 10 or 15 tries it turns on normally. Now im gonna try the tape thing otherwise it might have to leave it for good on the ds and only remove the microsd: not quite an ideal situation.

Have you tried what I did? While putting in the cartridge, push the cart in from the very left corner of the cart, or the very right corner of the cart. It sounds like you have the same exact problem I had.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 1900MBs a second sounds fast lol