Hacking Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - English Translation

Weyu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
To be honest I spotted this earlier when checking Karasu's scripts and I did have to read it twice.
Before I even saw DeviFoxx's translation I had 理由を聞かせてもらえますか。 as "Let's hear your reasons?"
(Though partly for space concerns as you can see from the screens)

Now personally I prefer translation over localisation, but it is something that will need to be considered
Hyuga is a ladies' man and talks like a gentleman, and I felt that translation is too direct for him, at least it doesn't really capture his personality.
I would've probably done something like "could you explain your presence here?" or along those lines, since he's using a semi passive aggressive form phrased as a question rather than a command.

Reactions: JamRules

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn! I missed the call to arms! Oh well ;_;

What, you can do that? Unless I'm misunderstanding, it doesn't seem that easy to add your own content.

It's more of a pipe dream really but I figure I would give it a shot :/
Based on the little I know so far about the DLC for the game I don't think it will be possible but! It might be possible to edit something already in the game. No idea really since I have been a bit busy.

Fate, you know exactly what I would like in exchange for translating the hell out of this game.

I have no idea what you're talking about :D

Reactions: JamRules

Swing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn! I missed the call to arms! Oh well ;_;

It's more of a pipe dream really but I figure I would give it a shot :/
Based on the little I know so far about the DLC for the game I don't think it will be possible but! It might be possible to edit something already in the game. No idea really since I have been a bit busy.

I have no idea what you're talking about :D

Dammit man don't make me get on my knees and su-- I mean BEG, Begging is what I meant! Just let me take you to that back alley over there to BEG, I've got a great mouth for BEGGING!:bow: Or here take my gf she's got an even prettier begging mouth!

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Dammit man don't make me get on my knees and su-- I mean BEG, Begging is what I meant! Just let me take you to that back alley over there to BEG, I've got a great mouth for BEGGING!:bow: Or here take my gf she's got an even prettier begging mouth!
I wish I could unread this. :wtf:

LoyalZero1

Former Videogame & Movie News Super Blogger
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

:wtf: **shudders**

.......You have a girlfriend?

LoliRam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not with that attitude they don't.

Anyways, let's keep this about progress, eh?

I'm about 1/4 of the way-ish done with window text. Considering theres 3600 entries, I think I'm coming along alright for being a mild slacker lol.

Swing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hahaha sorry lil blue pills in combination with something super secret that you want hella bad will make you say anything =P

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not with that attitude they don't.

Anyways, let's keep this about progress, eh?

I'm about 1/4 of the way-ish done with window text. Considering theres 3600 entries, I think I'm coming along alright for being a mild slacker lol.

To clarify because I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but the window text file holds a lot of important data like nearly all the menu text

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One main thing left to do are to adjust the file location pointers (these are encrypted, might asm hack that out) so that files can be larger than the originals.

Another main thing is to write reconstruction for weapon/items names since these use indexed text, already written the extractor so this is easy.

For those interested the text is made with 3 parts
  • 2 byte pointers to the start of the strings indices (uses next pointer to find length)
  • Table of 1 byte indices
  • Character table (256 chars - currently doesn't include alphabet so Japanese names will break, not really a problem though)
Basically anything but the weapon/item names is replaceable.

Here some very rough initial examples, a lot will be re-done for the proper release.

From a real psp

frmbuf217.png

frmbuf218.png

frmbuf219.png

frmbuf220.png

frmbuf221.png

frmbuf222.png

PPSSPP

npjh50332_002201.jpg

npjh50332_002211.jpg

npjh50332_00222.jpg

npjh50332_00223.jpg