Hacking Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity - English Translation

Swing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oops I meant shining blade. But I want to work on Shining Ark because it has a more steampunk style + guns...

Swing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If somebody can show me how to pull out the ingame text I could easily translate it fast but with errors (sure you guys can guess why), but at least it would be something.

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If somebody can show me how to pull out the ingame text I could easily translate it fast but with errors (sure you guys can guess why), but at least it would be something.

Generally every game is different so can't really help with this. If the developer's were the same then maybe but they're not.
Also never played any of the shining series.

Swing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok but I gained a lil insight after seeing your first post, I know that each ISO has the text files stored somewhere else differently, but do I just have to pull them up with UMD Gen and Notepad++ or something and use PSP2iSuite? I just don't know what programs people are using to specifically pull and insert the ingame text, because all that hex editing I've seen in other examples looks like gibberish to me and I know there's a better way using better programs to spot what you're looking for. I only got up to VB and C++ in my days and that was a LOOOOONG time ago...

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok but I gained a lil insight after seeing your first post, I know that each ISO has the text files stored somewhere else differently, but do I just have to pull them up with UMD Gen and Notepad++ or something and use PSP2iSuite? I just don't know what programs people are using to specifically pull and insert the ingame text, because all that hex editing I've seen in other examples looks like gibberish to me and I know there's a better way using better programs to spot what you're looking for. I only got up to VB and C++ in my days and that was a LOOOOONG time ago...

You'll pretty need a hex editor, I use Mad-Edit myself but there's probably better alternatives.
PSP2iSuite is a program I wrote myself and only works with Phantasy star, you'll want to do something similar if you want proper text insertion it not the sort of stuff you want to do manually.
Basically you can try to look at the hex and find something that looks like text, then figure out what values do what for example pointers to text and sizes.

The versions of PPSSPP available nowadays have some good debugging features.
Even if you don't use all its features you could do something simple like dump the ram when the text appears to give you an idea of what it looks like.
A good place to start is to find out what encoding the text uses (e.g. UTF-8, UTF-16, SHIFT-JIS)

Also if you haven't already google to see if someone has tried to do it before

Reactions: Hargrun

SMVB64

Now your playing with power! Super power!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Temporary help wanted!!!​
all you need to do is just copying some words from one file and then paste it on the other files, NOTHING ELSE
What you will need :​
Notepad ++​
Your fast hand​
Dropbox account (Optional)​
Sorry for reposting:unsure:
If you have any extra spots open I would like to help out as well. Currently on summer break so I have some free time haha.

AnotherGills

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Temporary help wanted!!!
all you need to do is just copying some words from one file and then paste it on the other files, NOTHING ELSE

What you will need :
Notepad ++
Your fast hand
Dropbox account (Optional)

If you still need anything done with this, I can definitely help.

ArasKarasu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
If you have any extra spots open I would like to help out as well. Currently on summer break so I have some free time haha.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3yix2i2q45kk8z/Temporary Help File.rar

make sure to read the readme.txt
since you're not the only one helping so i'm gonna see the fastest one
*if there's any "space" which I forgot to put in, I would be more than happy if you add'em
just make sure the eng character didn't exceed 123 character (space included but bracket didn't)

ArasKarasu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia

AnotherGills

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

*if there's any "space" which I forgot to put in, I would be more than happy if you add'em
just make sure the eng character didn't exceed 123 character (space included but bracket didn't)

I'm working on it right now, and I was wondering. I notice some of the dialogue seems a bit more "book-like" rather than typical spoken dialogue. Should I edit it to look more like speech?

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm working on it right now, and I was wondering. I notice some of the dialogue seems a bit more "book-like" rather than typical spoken dialogue. Should I edit it to look more like speech?

I believe he's using DeviFoxx's translations, I plan to personally look through the files before the final release though. I would only attempt to change it if you are skilled in Japanese to understand the original meaning and you know the game well. I did notice some spelling and grammar errors though so I would be grateful if you fixed those and thanks for helping ArasKarasu out.

AnotherGills

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe he's using DeviFoxx's translations, I plan to personally look through the files before the final release though. I would only attempt to change it if you are skilled in Japanese to understand the original meaning and you know the game well. I did notice some spelling and grammar errors though so I would be grateful if you fixed those and thanks for helping ArasKarasu out.
No problem. I am a bit of a writer.

When I mention making changes for example,
"You might be a beautiful lady, but trespassing is prohibited. Now for your reason? (or What is your reason)" could be changed to,
"You might be a beautiful lady, but trespassing is prohibited. Why are you here?"

Unless you're trying to go for the most direct translation possible. I would only make the changes obviously when it would have similar meaning in context, and make sense for the characters.

If you don't want me to, that's fine.

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem. I am a bit of a writer.

When I mention making changes for example,
"You might be a beautiful lady, but trespassing is prohibited. Now for your reason? (or What is your reason)" could be changed to,
"You might be a beautiful lady, but trespassing is prohibited. Why are you here?"

Unless you're trying to go for the most direct translation possible. I would only make the changes obviously when it would have similar meaning in context, and make sense for the characters.

If you don't want me to, that's fine.

To be honest I spotted this earlier when checking Karasu's scripts and I did have to read it twice.
Before I even saw DeviFoxx's translation I had 理由を聞かせてもらえますか。 as "Let's hear your reasons?"
(Though partly for space concerns as you can see from the screens)

Now personally I prefer translation over localisation, but it is something that will need to be considered

AnotherGills

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest I spotted this earlier when checking Karasu's scripts and I did have to read it twice.
Before I even saw DeviFoxx's translation I had 理由を聞かせてもらえますか。 as "Let's hear your reasons?"
(Though partly for space concerns as you can see from the screens)

Now personally I prefer translation over localisation, but it is something that will need to be considered

Typically for a patch, I would say a localization would end up being a better idea since it will end up sound less "clunky" overall, but it's your project. Your call.

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Typically for a patch, I would say a localization would end up being a better idea since it will end up
sound less "clunky" overall, but it's your project. Your call.

As I said that's what I like personally, not what's actually going to happen, considering who will be playing this I think you might be right.
Anyway my plan was to get all text ready in their associated files and then have one person go through it all to establish consistency.

And really though I know it's important to consider things like this I'm more concerned right now about actually getting the text into the game

Kelebek

Trophies
XP
Country

Scripted it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xadqzqdfvpvop2/Temporary Help File.rar - Python 2.7

Included the script and the output files. It does a bunch of stuff that you wanted, it adds the spaces after commas and fullstops and such. It also splits the line if it's too long.

Although, I'm still not sure why you need to do this. The done files are identical, so why do you need to copy them over? Why not just use the done files directly?

Reactions: JamRules

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Scripted it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xadqzqdfvpvop2/Temporary Help File.rar

Included the script and the output files. It does a bunch of stuff that you wanted, it adds the spaces after commas and fullstops and such. It also splits the line if it's too long.

Although, I'm still not sure why you need to do this. The done files are identical, so why do you need to copy them over? Why not just use the done files directly?

A limited number of files were affected by a bug that meant either entries at the front or back would be missing, but I did suggest an online compare tool before since this effected only a few files and I did not expect it to effect the cutscene text but just to be sure

JamRules

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Which ones? I've checked a lot of them and they all came out fine.

Some of the one's from the BOOST folder (you might not have got those ones) and elsewhere. I've only seen a few with the bug but I didn't check that many and wasn't sure. LoliRam was working on these, not sure if he's redone them or not.

Thank you for taking the time to make the script though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it